Hammers of Fate → Freyda's Dilemma → Choices

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
shep61
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby shep61 » 21 Feb 2007, 03:37

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/671

shep61
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby shep61 » 21 Feb 2007, 03:37

Great job, Maltz. Here's an additional note on this one. There's an artifact for sale at the wagon in the North that will increase all experience gained by 10%. I gave that to Freyda, maxed her out, and then gave it to Duncan. Reached the level cap for both, but just barely. Playing on heroic.

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 21 Feb 2007, 15:34

That's great to hear. I thought the merchant usually sell different stuff. If I remember right there is a EXP +20% (helmet) artifact as welll. In my game Duncan finished only level 26.

relvap
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby relvap » 01 Mar 2007, 10:04

i have a Q

i saw andreas roam around even before i freed duncon, and killed him.

should i expect a revisit from him anyway?

thou i should probably find out by playing

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 01 Mar 2007, 15:40

I guess it depends on how soon you take Town E (the other red town). After you take town E I don't think Andreas will come back. Even the Renegade port town hires him before you do (you probably can't hire Renedate heroes from your own Tavern ?), they are confined in their little quarter.

Pave
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Pave » 17 Mar 2007, 14:54

OK, I just got extremely lucky I guess...In one turn I freed Duncan, eliminated Andreas and captured the E town :))

After breaking through the garrison and freeing duncan (total loss of 3 griffins due to my stupidity) I saw Andreas standing just in front of the huge garisson protecting the port town. So I attacked and killed him (although just barely...the balista, the angel appearing at the end and ressurecting his hundreds of enforcers and above all the lack of mana which I spent fighting the garrison proved to be major problem). And when I finished with him I noticed that one of my new heroes (23lvl) is standing right next to alomst undefended E town (lots of archers, horde of peasants etc.....simply very easy kill). So this mission was almost over even before it began...

Btw. Great job, maltz, creating this and all the other walkhroughs...I really enjoy reading it after finishing each mission
Edited on Sat, Mar 17 2007, 08:16 by Pave

Pave
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Pave » 17 Mar 2007, 15:33

EDIT:

Hmmm...It wasn't over after all...After having all the towns (except for the port one) and killing Andreas the red wasn't dormant at all....he kept attacking me and even Andreas kept reappearing. Each time I killed him he disappeared for about a week and then he came back stronger than before. His army gradually grew. At the begining he had zealots as the top units...When he returned for the third time he had fallen angels with him...

After taking the last castle (and killing Andreas for the sixth time) I found the castle completely built including the Altar of light...

So I guess maltz that you just got (un?)lucky when your red was dormant and didn't build up his castle...
Edited on Sat, Mar 17 2007, 10:56 by Pave

Arkali
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Arkali » 07 Oct 2007, 22:12

Wonderful walkthrough, Maltz, as per usual :-)

However - I'm playing on easy level and red is *so* not dormant, it's not even funny. He's constantly harassing my rear lines, re-flagging mines, etc. And both red heroes, Andreas and Lorenzo keep coming back - the very next turn. I've killed them both at least twice, and each time they come back they have more and stronger troops.
Edited on Mon, Oct 08 2007, 21:01 by Arkali
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp in his style."

- Vlad Taltos
Jhereg, by Steven Brust

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Feb 2008, 15:30

Why is this mission called "The Choice" in my game?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

alojzy77
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby alojzy77 » 23 May 2008, 18:47

My problem is that (playing on Heroic) the garrison guarding Duncan is too hard to beat. I manage to kill off everything but last stack of 100 inquisitors. I think I would have a hard time winning even if this was the only stack opposing me. Is it possible to beat the garrison stright away (with no dark magic) or maybe my strategy/Frieda build is inferior? Maybe the quantities of troops in garrison changed since the walktrough was written?

KiOwA
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby KiOwA » 27 Aug 2008, 15:42

I'm on this mission too, even on hard mode the garrison guarding Duncan is simply too much to bear without Puppet Master or Frenzy. I really should have gotten those 2 spells earlier in the campaign:(
"One thing you can count on, you push a man too far, and sooner or later he's gonna start pushing back." - Payne

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 27 Aug 2008, 17:11

Restarting a campaign for a better spell selection = boring.

KiOwA
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby KiOwA » 28 Aug 2008, 14:49

That's true... so in the end I just took the Teal town B, turtled up and built a big enough army to take the other towns manually.
"One thing you can count on, you push a man too far, and sooner or later he's gonna start pushing back." - Payne

CatherineMcClarey
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby CatherineMcClarey » 31 Dec 2008, 03:28

I dealt with the garrison guarding Duncan without either Puppet Master or Frenzy; just have Freya cast Mass Haste (her specialty) on her first round, and Resurrection as needed each round after that.

My problem is that "Energizer bunny" Andreas! Freyda's Mass Haste and Resurrection spells (and the 2-shot Ballista skill she has in my build) help her army survive long enough against Andreas to defeat him -- so, of course, Andreas tries to chase around poor hardly-any-spells Duncan around instead. I wish there was a way to just rush those 2 Red Haven towns, so I could finally settle down to exploring the map (my favorite part of a mission, usually).

Update: I ended up reloading from just after I left the underground and capturing the nearby Teal town. Flagged mines and whatnot in the neighborhood until Andreas showed up anyway; defeated him outside once; chased him to Chillbury when he showed up again -- and captured Chillbury; then finally liberated Duncan (and got a more built-up Teal area throwing in with my side as well). Once Red was confined to the area behind the 2 garrisons, it was relatively easy to keep them contained for the rest of the scenario.
Edited on Thu, Jan 01 2009, 21:30 by CatherineMcClarey

VAMPSVSZOUNDS
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby VAMPSVSZOUNDS » 23 Jun 2009, 06:52

Duncan has in patch 2.0 luck not defense AND master of wrath.And the garrison on hard isn't that tough if you have Pm/Mass Confusion+strong Freyda build.Pm the zealots to hammer poor crossbowmen,hammer fallen angels with marksmen/archers,then kill vindicators withangels and everithing else,and put zealots to sleep with Pm,regular hero attacks(my freyda kills 3 zealots per hit) and remaining troops.If you have enough knowledge you can spam a Ressurection and as a last resort I had the Guard angel.

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 21 Jun 2010, 19:32

My Freyda didn't have any level 5 spells or dark magic, so no way to take on that nasty garrison guarding Duncan. Freyda was forced to kill off the enemy one by one. This map became a nasty slog.

Thanks to the gold mines everywhere, eventually I built an army that trampled both garrisons and Irina. But since I spent so much time, I got lazy on this map and didn't upgrade Duncan at all. Only bothered to visit one town for him to get Resurrection and Town Portal. Other skills don't matter for future maps; he's a useless bum.

xiilus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xiilus » 02 Apr 2011, 23:33

I'm playing the mod that allows for ToE features in the HoF campaign, and everything seemed fairly standard until I freed Duncan. His build is quite untraditional, so I had to check here to see if Duncan always had this odd build. For reference, he has:

Ex. Counterstrike - Expert Trainer, Benediction

Ex. Attack - Tactics, Battle Frenzy, Retribution

Ex. Logistics

Ex. Luck - Resourcefulness, Spoils of War

Ex. Leadership

Av. Summoning Magic - Master of Life

It's not a bad build, but the summoning magic is surprising. Freyda has Scholar, but of course I did not take summoning with her. I'm not sure if he will always have this build or if this mod causes preset heroes to have their skills scrambled.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 03 Apr 2011, 09:45

I really doubt that mod has anything to do with it (you do mean you play the HoF campaign on ToTe right?) I think he just starts with a certain amount of exp and he will get skills randomly
as for me he had attack, defense, leadership, logistics and luck.
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem

Unread postby ShadowLiberal » 01 Nov 2011, 23:43

I think Duncan's skills are somewhat random like others have suggested. Duncan had the following on patch 2.1 for HOF when I rescued him.

-Expert Attack (Tactics, Retribution, Archery)

-Expert Leadership

-Advanced Logistics

-Expert Light Magic (Master of Blessings, Guardian Angel, Refined Mana)

-Advanced Defense (Evasion)

Also unlike what the guide said I was unable to take out Duncan's guards early on. I didn't have enough firepower in my own army to kill off the blinded and puppet mastered foes before the spells wore off and I ran out of mana. A few game months later after siezing two of Teal's towns I returned and freed Duncan without causalities thanks to resurrect and puppet master.

SteelPanther
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SteelPanther » 04 Jul 2013, 13:35

argh, red is constantly rehiring andreas - every time I kill him he's back again a couple of turns later. Not a lot of troops but annoying to have to keep watching for him.

Return to “Articles”