Half-Dead → The Points of Power

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
Wheeler Dealer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wheeler Dealer » 23 Dec 2009, 00:40

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/198

Wheeler Dealer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wheeler Dealer » 23 Dec 2009, 00:41

Too easy. I played on advanced, maybe should have opted for something tougher. The computer players put up no fight. For maybe the first two or three weeks the only troops Gauldoth had were vampires he had raised with his necromacy powers. Gauldoth was about 2000 xp short of level 23 when I completed the fourth point of power. I was able to accumulate those from "wandering monsters" on my way to the tree of knowledge on the west edge of the map.

I had several order lords to generate growth and wealth. I had a death knight (level 16) in Gauldoth's army to make the troops fight better. There was a second army with a death knight and a necromancer and many lower level troops to clear the roads after the start of the second and third month.

Gauldoth reached Grandmaster death magic but his nature magic skills didn't improve much. Seems like the nature skill I was offered mostly was summoning and I didn't want that. Gauldoth's final army was 13 devils, 29 bone dragons and 160 vampires. I could have had twice that if I thought i needed it.

Wheeler Dealer
Conscript
Conscript

Re: Half-Dead → The Points of Power

Unread postby Wheeler Dealer » 22 Dec 2022, 17:18

Playing on Champion this time. Easy for a different reason, the AI isn't able to deal with the large neutral stacks very well. Here is a journal of my more interesting moments.

Week 1, claimed sawmill and ore pit. Basic tactics were to use Gauldoth and an imp (to split the defenders) and then summon cerberi.

Week 2, beat the Mage Tower (1 H&R). Claimed the gem mine and alchemist guild. Dozens of Vampires are still too difficult, but I was able to defeat 35 Venom Spawn using 6 skeletons. Poisoned all the Venom Spawn, used summoned air elementals to absorb their shots until they were out of ammo. I did use 1 PoI and 69 mana.

Week 3, I was able to claim the gold mine without engaging the 36 Ice Demons trapped by a pile of gold behind the mine. The portal leads to a gate usable only to your enemies. I used an imp to release the Ice Demons. Traded for crystal to build a mansion. Defeated the Vampires guarding the Emerald. Gauldoth reached L19.

Week 4, defeating the Vampires seems to depend on getting lucky with the Ice Demon's freezing attack. After 1 H&R, beat the Vampires guarding the access to the rest of the map. Hired a death knight. Defeated a neutral necropolis near the center of the map.

Week 5, SE necropolis too tough for Gauldoth alone. Couldn't beat 33 Vampires with just Gauldoth.

Week 7, Purple nosing around. Took the nearest Purple town. Poisoning a defending garrison requires patience, get in too much of a hurry and they will come out before you like. Took the other Purple town.

Week 11, My Army is huge, 42 Bone Dragons, 10 Devils, 84 vampires and 100 ghosts. 3 Points of Power activated.

Week 13, 4th PoP activated, Gauldoth reached L23, heading for Tree of Knowledge.

Week 14, eliminated Teal, activated the last PoP. My general made L18!

Return to “Articles”