Video: GamesCom Q&A

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 14 Sep 2011, 20:14

Another video for your viewing pleasure, featuring a <a href="http://youtu.be/Yl9xSk6EFWc">Q&A</a> with Erwan Le Breton, Paul-Emile Lacomblez, Irina Kassina and Istvan Zsuffa.

<center><iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Yl9xSk6EFWc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></center>

If you are looking for an answer to something specific, the devs have supplied a timeline for you:

Game support: (03:14)

RMG: (05:59)

Online vs. off-line: (06:35)

Resources: (08:34)

Town trees: (11:11)

Art design: (13:56)

Reputation system (16:32)

AI issues (18:04)

Patches (18:35)

"Is Ashan and the so-called "old universe" part of comprehensive whole?": (21:00)

Difficulty level: (23:10)

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1316031283
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 15 Sep 2011, 14:20

Hum, there's a lot of easier, easier spoken in there. The way it sounds, it looks as if the game to be released next month is a Demo (a try out!) as well. At least they also look like they can tweak things for the future. ;|
Last edited by Panda Tar on 15 Sep 2011, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby JSE » 15 Sep 2011, 16:49

While I think it's great that the guys from Ubisoft are addressing and answering fan questions, I just can't get over two of Erwan's replies

1.) Random map generator: The solid RMG that came with Armageddon's Blade was (and still is) one of the integral factors of Heroes 3's immense replay value and multiplayer longevity. Not considering an RMG an essential feature of a new Heroes game and not implementing it in the initial development stage is a serious game design *mistake*.

2.) Old universe/new universe: I can't believe the "reinvention" of original iconic characters is considered a good thing! As a long-time fan of the Heroes series, I love characters like Sandro or Crag Hack *as part of the original universe*. I don't love a certain set of characteristics, I don't love their names -- what I love are the complete original characters with their original biographies. The way these characters are now treated in Heroes 6 is definitely not a sign of "respect" towards the old M&M universe -- on the contrary: In my opinion, it is shameless name-dropping and an alienation of the character concepts. If Ubisoft really want to pay respect to M&M, they should finally make up their minds about what they want to do with the M&M legacy and make this decision clear to the fans: Do they want to keep the old universe alive and combine it with their own creations or do they want to discontinue it and realise their own new vision. These seem like the only honest and reasonable alternatives to me. I would prefer the first one, I could live with the second one, but some sort of indecisive mixture between the two just feels like a punch in the face of a long-time fan.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Re: Video: GamesCom Q&A

Unread postby Panda Tar » 15 Sep 2011, 17:23

JSE wrote:As a long-time fan of the Heroes series, I love characters like Sandro or Crag Hack *as part of the original universe*. I don't love a certain set of characteristics, I don't love their names -- what I love are the complete original characters with their original biographies.
You mean this?
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby JSE » 15 Sep 2011, 20:48

That's exactly what I'm talking about: The character Tazar was ripped from the original universe (as a native of Antagarich) and was "reinvented" and "re-explained" for the new world of Ashan. The only "homage" or "respect" involved is a small footnote reminding us fans (!) that his first incarnation could be found in Heroes 3 and 4.

While Erwan seems to disapprove of the idea of magical portals or dimension doors allowing characters to travel between worlds and even universes, this would have been a solid *and respectful* way of bringing Enrothian heroes to Ashan. Done before? -- Of course. Much better though than keeping a part of a character's identity and replacing the other one...

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Re: Video: GamesCom Q&A

Unread postby Panda Tar » 15 Sep 2011, 21:13

JSE wrote: While Erwan seems to disapprove of the idea of magical portals or dimension doors allowing characters to travel between worlds and even universes, this would have been a solid *and respectful* way of bringing Enrothian heroes to Ashan. Done before? -- Of course. Much better though than keeping a part of a character's identity and replacing the other one...
So, you'd rather have them throw in the game, say, as a "nostalgic resource" with even their original stories? That way, people who liked them could play with them in regular maps (or even appease map makers with that possibility). And they wouldn't have this new incarnation background. Would that suffice in you opinion?

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 15 Sep 2011, 23:37

I did not listen to the whole thing but did not see any mention of a campaign editor. While it will be nice to have an RMG, it does imply they are more interested in single map play; unfortunately that is not my style any more. :(
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby JSE » 16 Sep 2011, 00:01

@ Panda Tar:

*** So, you'd rather have them throw in the game, say, as a "nostalgic resource" with even their original stories? That way, people who liked them could play with them in regular maps (or even appease map makers with that possibility). And they wouldn't have this new incarnation background. Would that suffice in you opinion? ***

If Ubisoft decide that the reintroduction of heroes from the old universe is a good idea (and obviously they have decided that way), it seems only right to me to continue the heroes' stories and *add* to their biographies (instead of exchanging them for new stories). It wouldn't make sense to just give them their original biography texts as -- quite obviously -- the heroes have moved on and left behind them at least one dying world. The biographies should tell us why and how these heroes came to Ashan. This can only work of course, if the old universe isn't completely abandoned and if some ties to the new universe (or at least to the world of Ashan) are accepted.
Edited on Thu, Sep 15 2011, 20:04 by JSE

Tale
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tale » 16 Sep 2011, 06:56

jeff said: "While it will be nice to have an RMG, it does imply they are more interested in single map play; unfortunately that is not my style any more. :("

I think that having an RMG adds an element of replayability that map and campaign editors can't really match. It just gets dull playing the same map over and over and over again; eventually you memorize it and know exactly the best thing to do. Having the added RMG means every game is a new map to explore.

That said, I really hope that they add a campaign editor as well; if they're making a map editor, they should go the extra step and add some way to link single created maps to one another. My best memories of Heroes III and IV come from fan-made campaign maps. It's nice to have the quantity of RMG maps, but sometimes I just really want to get that rich, deep bite of a quality campaign. And I mean, it's not like we can expect one from the official game (I'm looking at you, Heroes V)...
Edited on Fri, Sep 16 2011, 03:10 by Tale

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 16 Sep 2011, 12:36

To be honest they have good logic in working on a RMG after release. I mean, we've got 20 something campiagn missions to go through, and then 9 skirmish maps. I think it can wait a month. The only thing i'm more concerned about is that I want to RMG to be the best ever RMG. With the game as it is (4 resources, core/elite/champion units), in theory you would think this RMG would work better than in any of the previous games, but let's wait and see.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 16 Sep 2011, 21:31

Agree. We want a top notch RMG, right? Let them polish it for post release then.

Otherwise Im disappointed in how they put in the good ol' heroes in Ashan. Aint they talking about this great void/rift thing or what? They REEEEEALY couldnt somehow combine the two universe with some intelligent connection between Axeoth and Ashan while pleasing both their fans and focusing on their little world?

What about. Sandro found an ancient portal within Axeoth, with strange markers and symbols describing some kind of cosmic dragons and a world Ashan or something...? Seriously!!

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 17 Sep 2011, 11:47

I think this YouTube comment on the video sums it all up best:
It's better to have Ashan separated from the old universe. That way the crappy Ubisoft writers can't ruin the old universe. Unless they can get Jon Van Caneghem back, there's no reason to go back to the old universe.
It's kinda nice to see some characters from MM 1-5 and HoMM 1-3 "recycled". NWC also did similar thing with Enrothian "incarantions" of Sandro, Crag Hack, Falagar and a few others from the non-storyline roster of heroes (the vast majority of whom were PCs and NPCs from MM 1-5). But their Maximus isn't a green half-orc, WTH! :)

Also, I think Kalindra and Atlas are cop put as "legacy heroes". UbiHole could have payed homage to their role in WoX storyline (queen of Castlewiev, one of five Darkside of XEEN's main cities, who has been chosen for the Unification, and one of Olympus "gods" , respectively), not just their apeearance traits. Kalindra's bio mentions the "ancient Shantiri civilization", though.
Last edited by XEL II on 18 Sep 2011, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 17 Sep 2011, 13:30

As several of you have stated a good RMG is needed. Since I don't enjoy all the landscaping needed to create a good map, I have often used a RMG produced map as a rough draft map for my campaigns. I am just hoping for a great campaign editor similar to the one found in H-IV, and not like the one in H-V.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 17 Sep 2011, 15:13

It is me or it was recorded by "Ubisoft Comedy"? :P

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 17 Sep 2011, 18:27

XEL II wrote:But their Maximus isn't a green half-orc, WTH! :)
Ah, that's because Angelspit didn't give them permission to take shots from him in a bath tub, to use as Sir Maximus pics. :proud:

Whaaat? Shouldn't I tell them the truth? :D

krs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby krs » 17 Sep 2011, 20:48

FFS is this for real? This is the game I've payed for?

I play since heroes 2 and the whole video is about "we thought 5 resources are too much", "we thought town screens were to complicated", "we thought the skills in h5 were too complicated", "We thought the game needs to be more easy". It just makes me rage.

Oversimplify a wonderful game and turn it into a dull experience with nice graphics just that you can attract more people and make more $$.

The other thing is that they really think they can pull this one out? They talk about fixing 1000 things before release like it is 1 year from now. (Town tree changes? 3 weeks before release?!?)

Despite all these drawbacks the game has the potential to be the best of the series. But while the forums are filled with tons of feedback and great ideas, what UBI choses to implement behind closed doors... is anyones guess.

I am sorry to say this but the community is way to understanding with the providers of the game we payed for so many times now.

igoraki
Scout
Scout

Unread postby igoraki » 18 Sep 2011, 00:47

Sound effect for the hat trowing was excellent,am sure many fans will buy the game just to see more cool stuff like that....good work,ubisoft
"You cannot make a baby in a month with nine women."

Vokial
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Vokial » 20 Sep 2011, 06:31

Why we need it easier... with many skills, old town screen and many resources it's more fun!

krs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby krs » 20 Sep 2011, 08:10

Nobody needs it easier, its just in their heads. They think they could attract more people by making it more casual ignoring they upset the very ones who buy their game every time.

Just stop protecting the game from being mod-able and we will take care of skill trees, town trees and others mishaps.

Return to “News”