Neverwinter Nights News

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 02 Nov 2006, 16:02

I like to chalk up committment to having misplaced priorities at the moment.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 03 Nov 2006, 01:53

that's what it normally comes down to .... but then doesn't everyone at some time or another?
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 03 Nov 2006, 02:30

Especially hard to be in class when a new game comes out. Funny how a guy in my "law firm" in class also thought about ditching class to just zone out and play.

Luckily, I still have my important priorities. That and the $14 a minute cost of going to my law school acts as an incentive to attend class, in addition to the education and career development.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 03 Nov 2006, 02:44

that would probably be an incentive right there OD .... enough for me I think .... but i can certainly understand the desire to tune out, I did that a lot at uni, and it was mostly at the pub, but some times it was all about Quake ][
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Nov 2006, 22:09

So, the game takes about 7GB to install, right?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 04 Nov 2006, 01:33

Takes closer to 5. If you have the rig for it, it's a great game. Much better than the original.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 04 Nov 2006, 19:36

.. 1UP Gave NWN2 5/10

But ! After some time this review was pulled with excuses...
Still I have the copy if anyone intrested. :)

as for me - I will not buy it. The main and only reason is that NWN2 has the same small "boxed" levels that I hated so much in original.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 05 Nov 2006, 04:45

As I type this, gamerankings.com as the game at 88%
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/922154.asp

I found the link for the story regarding the pull:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154916

Here's the Editor's comments on the pulling of the review:
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=758 ... Id=5380367

Ordinarily, reviews won't be pulled because of cite feedback, so there must be more to the story.

Also, the game really doesn't have a "boxed" feel.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 06 Nov 2006, 00:20

Also, the game really doesn't have a "boxed" feel.
Really? Thats strange. I asked question about "boxed" levels on other forum and I was told that situation is even worse that in original.
They say that all levels (even out-door) are corridor-like, and that there is no actual exploring because you just can miss anything .. even the smallest cave.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 06 Nov 2006, 02:37

This point has become moot ,Weaver.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 06 Nov 2006, 13:39

Omega_Destroyer wrote:This point has become moot ,Weaver.
Too bad there is no demo.. :disagree:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Nov 2006, 14:51

MistWeaver wrote:.. 1UP Gave NWN2 5/10

But ! After some time this review was pulled with excuses...
Still I have the copy if anyone intrested. :)
Well put it up already.

PA's take on it: http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2006/20061106.jpg
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 06 Nov 2006, 15:03

Here are a few questions Id like to know about the game:

The rules:Are they completelly 3.5 edition,or did they make some hybrid?Do you again use preset number of character points,or do you roll dice(like in BG)?

The story:Closer to NWN,or ist expansions(in the terms of it beign good/bad that is)?

Linearity:How linear is the game?

Character interactions,and how your actions affect them?

Henchmen:How many can you get with you,and how many different henchmen are in the game?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Nov 2006, 15:38

I heard something about 4 man parties, but i'm not sure if it includes the PC or not.

The story is supposed to start rather lackluster but gets better.

The rules are probably like in NWN, adapted to a videogame.

I also heard someone mention that you can pick different paths from the get-go, and based on that you can unlock prestige classes and stuff like that.

This is all 2nd hand info though. Not enough room on the HD atm.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 06 Nov 2006, 16:18

ThunderTitan wrote: This is all 2nd hand info though. Not enough room on the HD atm.
Not enough space on HD?Well thats what you get when you spend all your money on a camera :devious:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Nov 2006, 17:17

Nope, that's what you get when you have a little monster as a relative and fileplanet let's everyone d/l exclusive betas.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 06 Nov 2006, 17:17

A 1UP review that was pulled

------------------------

As everything-the-original-did -- and more -- follow-ups go, Neverwinter Nights 2 deserves a banner&something like "mission accomplished." Think the sequel to Jurassic Park, where Spielberg's all "You want more dinosaurs? I'll show you more dinosaurs..." As a contemporary CRPG, on the other hand, NWN2 leaves a lot to be desired, and that's too bad, because these are the guys who brought us Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale 2...and therefore they are the guys I'm least inclined to take issue with.

But issues exist, and defining them is really no more complex than saying, "Hello D&D superchrome, buh-bye storytelling and character development (you know, those things you're supposed to "immerse" yourself in)." The idea seems to be that we're meant to rah-rah about a superabundance of feats, spells, races, prestige (advanced) classes, and math-equation tickers full of the usual "I attack you with a +4 sword of --" booooooring. Fine, sure, dandy...but when is a "role" not a "role"? Simple: when it's a rule to a fault.

Ever loyal bites
I'm cruising for a bruising (don't I know it), but NWN2 is a splash of cold water to the face: A revelatory, polarizing experience that -- in the wake of newer, better alternatives -- makes you question the very notion of "RPG by numbers." It foists Wizards of the Coast's latest v3.5 D&D system (a molehill that's become a mountain at this point) onto your hard drive with stunning fidelity, then tacks on dozens of artificial-looking areas vaguely linked by forget-table plot points you check off like grocery to-do's.

Sure, the interface is sleeker with context-sensitive menus and a smart little bar that lets you more intuitively toggle modes like "power attack" and "stealth," but with all the added rule-shuffling, NWN2 seems like it's working twice as hard to accomplish half as much. Worse -- and blame this on games like Oblivion -- NWN2's levels feel pint-sized: Peewee zones inhabited by pull-string NPCs with no existence to speak of beyond their little playpens. Wander and you'll wonder why the forests, towns, and dungeons are like movie lots with lay-about monsters waiting patiently for you to trip their arbitrary triggers. As if the pencil and paper "module" approach were a virtue that computers -- by now demonstrably capable of simulating entire worlds with considerably more depth -- should emulate. It's like we're supposed to park half our brain in feature mania and the rest in nostalgic slush, and somehow call bingo.

The dungeons feel especially stale, so linear and inorganic they might as well be graph-paper lifts filled with room after room of pop-up bogeymen (Doom put them in closets; NWN2 just makes the closets bigger). Maybe you'd rather chat with the dumb NPCs that speak and sound like extras in a bad Saturday morning cartoon? Oh, boy -- there's the portrait "plus" sign! Time to shuffle another party member (improved to four simultaneous) through the level-up grinder, which you can click "recommend" to zip past...but then, what's the point?

Rule-playing game
In all fairness, it's not entirely developer Obsidian's fault. D&D certainly puts the "rule" in role-playing, and a madcap base of D&D aficionados is no doubt ready to string me up for suggesting that faithful is here tantamount to folly (to these people, I say: "Go for it, NWN2's all you've ever wanted and more"). Call me crazy -- I guess I'm just finally weary of being led around on a pencil-and-paper leash and batting numbers around a glorified three-dimensional spreadsheet in a computer translation that should have synthesized, not forklifted.

That five-of-10 is actually a hedge, by the way. For D&D fans who want to play an amazingly thorough PC translation of the system they're carting around in book form, it's proba-bly closer an eight or nine. But if, like me, you want less "rules for rule's sake" and more depth and beauty to your simulated game worlds, you can certainly find more exciting prospects. Part of the reason we call them "the good old days" and think fondly of games past is that it's always easier to love what we don't have to play anymore.

------------------------

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Nov 2006, 17:26

Pulled?! That one shouldn't even have made it past the first spellchecker. "I hate D&D cRPGs" isn't a review. The only criticism that isn't a rabid opinion is the size of the dungeons and he completly ruins it by comparing them to Oblivion. Geez.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 06 Nov 2006, 18:33

ThunderTitan wrote:Nope, that's what you get when you have a little monster as a relative and fileplanet let's everyone d/l exclusive betas.
So?I download everybeta I can find,and have room to spare,even though my large 200 gig hard burnt a while back.
Think the sequel to Jurassic Park
This sums up the review.But I agree with it.D&D is a very bad system because its oversaturated by the rules.Its called a role playing game,not roll playing game like D&D makes it :disagree:
ThunderTitan wrote:Pulled?! That one shouldn't even have made it past the first spellchecker. "I hate D&D cRPGs" isn't a review. The only criticism that isn't a rabid opinion is the size of the dungeons and he completly ruins it by comparing them to Oblivion. Geez.
Actually comparing to oblivion in termes of NPCs and expansivnes is valid.
Last edited by DaemianLucifer on 06 Nov 2006, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 06 Nov 2006, 18:49

ThunderTitan wrote:Pulled?! That one shouldn't even have made it past the first spellchecker. "I hate D&D cRPGs" isn't a review. The only criticism that isn't a rabid opinion is the size of the dungeons and he completly ruins it by comparing them to Oblivion. Geez.
I, myself, dont care much if RPG has D&D system or not. But using D&D doesnt mean that whole game world should consist of "adventure rooms" that are waiting for the main "actor".
Thus, if everything that is writen about game levels and NPC is true - I agree with 5/10

@DaemianLucifer:
Please remove my nick from quote that is not actualy my, next time.
Last edited by MistWeaver on 06 Nov 2006, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”