Seen any good movies lately?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Seen any good movies lately?

Unread postby Caradoc » 27 Oct 2006, 06:59

I just saw Scorsese's Departed. Will probably get Nicholson another oscar, and I think Scorsese's time may have come at last. And it turns out that DiCaprio kid has real ability. Imagine that.

Last week I saw Grudge 2, which seemed pretty aimless and not half as scary as the first one. Takashi Shimuzu is a great director, but here he was just mailing it in.

At least there's Borat coming up.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 27 Oct 2006, 07:33

"Wakko's wish", but I'm not sure it qualifies for this thread :D
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 Oct 2006, 08:03

Depends on how you define good,how you define lately,and how you define movies :devious: My standards are pretty harsh.I did watch clerks 2 a few weeks ago.Definitelly a kevin smith movie,though not as good as the first one.Before that....it was a very long time from the last good movie.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 27 Oct 2006, 15:01

Clerks 2 was on for only a couple weeks and I didn't get to see it, so I have to wait till it comes out on dvd. The Departed was excellant and I would not be surprised if it took the oscar for best picture. Tonight I am going to see the Prestige, which is supposed to be really good from what I've heard.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 27 Oct 2006, 15:39

And there I was about to start a thread just like this. :devil:

I haven't seen any new films in quite some time, I will be going to see Flags of our Fathers soon because it is an Eastwood film. Mostly I have been watching older films in an effort to better understand the medium.

Here are a few I think are worth watching:

Paths of Glory
5 Easy Pieces
Strangers on a Train
The Third Man
The Ox-Bow incident
All the King's Men (1949)
The Birth of a Nation (mostly due to how stupid it is now due to its racism)
Port of Shadows
The Wolfman (the original has a curious political statement in it)
The Caine Mutiny

Well, that's all I've got off the top of my head.
Hell has frozen over...

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 27 Oct 2006, 21:57

I saw a really good movie recently called Transamerica which was about a man's way to becoming a woman but it's not just about that cause he actually finds out he has a son somewhere and now has to help him. It was a funny movie but still very serious when it came to dealing with the issues the movie portraits.
I don't know if you've heard of it cause I hadn't. There were no trailers for it in the telly here in Denmark. I just accidentally rented it at BBV and it was great :)

Other great movies I've seen recently:
Weather Man
V for Vendetta
Walk the Line
Saved

Can't think of any more...that's wierd ;|
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 27 Oct 2006, 23:21

Didn't really care for V for Vendetta. Can't say why. Just thought it was dumb.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Oct 2006, 23:23

Shichinin no samurai (the seven samurai) was on the telly yesterday - one of the greatest films to ever come out of that little island nation.

[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Seen any good movies lately?

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 28 Oct 2006, 01:12

Caradoc wrote:Last week I saw Grudge 2, which seemed pretty aimless and not half as scary as the first one. Takashi Shimuzu is a great director, but here he was just mailing it in.
Shichinin no samurai (the seven samurai) was on the telly yesterday - one of the greatest films to ever come out of that little island nation.
Maybe you should watch Ju-On, the original "Grudge" in that little island nation. It was a lot more spooky... :nervous:

[/quote]
Round Table Olympics '07 Image

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 28 Oct 2006, 14:24

^
The Grudge(Ju-On), if I'm correct, is just a terrible knock-off of Ringu(The Ring). I've watched both Japanese originals and, frankly, they're both so alike it's scary! :scared:
Hell has frozen over...

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 28 Oct 2006, 15:35

The (first) Grudge was actually pretty scary. It had some nice new visual and auditory effects that startled me several times. The atmosphere was wonderfully disturbing and there was enough story to keep my interest. And SMG is always good.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 28 Oct 2006, 16:22

Caradoc wrote:The (first) Grudge was actually pretty scary. It had some nice new visual and auditory effects that startled me several times. The atmosphere was wonderfully disturbing and there was enough story to keep my interest. And SMG is always good.
Is this the only J-Horror film that you've seen? If you watch one then they're pretty awesome, but if you watch more than you start to see serious overlap in film techniques. Horror is not something where redundancy is acceptable.

I will admit though that however much I am going to bash J-Horror that they're still leagues better than American Horror films.
Hell has frozen over...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 Oct 2006, 17:04

Derek wrote: Is this the only J-Horror film that you've seen? If you watch one then they're pretty awesome, but if you watch more than you start to see serious overlap in film techniques. Horror is not something where redundancy is acceptable.

I will admit though that however much I am going to bash J-Horror that they're still leagues better than American Horror films.
Bah,hollywod doesnt have horrors anymore,just mindless laughing flicks(scream 3 :disagree: ).As for repetition,well its not like you can be original anymore.And if you watch any sort of movies long(this doesnt go just for watching movies)youll oversaturate yourself with them,and soon get bored.

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 29 Oct 2006, 14:21

I saw Flags of our Fathers yesterday...

Now, perhaps it is a bit too long and the editing could have been tighter, but it's an awfully good film that I think people should go see. I look forward to the so-called "companion film" to be released later this year.

Not for the faint-hearted though.
Hell has frozen over...

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 29 Oct 2006, 14:48

there was some quite nice spanish horror flim i saw once. with some really funny name, i think it was "darkness". but it was one of the few non-jap horror films that had actually some horror in it.

i cant name a single good USA horror movie though.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 29 Oct 2006, 15:18

vhilhu wrote: i cant name a single good USA horror movie though.
You never watched alien?Number 3 is one of the scariest movies ever.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 29 Oct 2006, 15:38

alien was great sci-fi, but imo not scary. fantasy/scifi doesnt seem scary for me because i cant imagine myself in the situation of the protagonist.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 29 Oct 2006, 18:24

vhilhu wrote:i cant name a single good USA horror movie though.
In no particular order, The Shining, Halloween and Halloween H20, The Grudge (I liked the US version better than the original), The Omen, The Exorcist, George Romero's 'Dead' series, The Ring, Poltergeist, Nightmare on Elm Street (featuring Johnny Depp!) and Texas Chainsaw Massacre are all worth an horror fan's time. The sequels (and in some cases remakes) should be avoided.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 29 Oct 2006, 19:10

Corribus wrote:Didn't really care for V for Vendetta. Can't say why. Just thought it was dumb.
I thought it was great because of the 2. World War relations. It's the first one I've seen of that kind and I loved the whole Guy Fawkes idea :)

Remember remember the fifth of November
the gun powder treason and plot
I know of no reason why the gun powder treason
should ever be forgot..

Don't know the rest :D
Anywho, I liked it.
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Oct 2006, 19:17

There you go little blue eyes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night

And the original comic has over 300 pages if i remember corectly with a way better ending imo. The movie was okay though.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “Campfire”