Baldur's Gate

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 23 Oct 2006, 06:53

hmm having trouble with the swords of the coast (which is odd). May have to splurge for NWN 2 limited (or collectors or something) and say heck wit it. Will of course buy it through CH's link though.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 23 Oct 2006, 07:05

ThunderTitan wrote:
Omega_Destroyer wrote:Takes a bit to get used to.
Especialy since henchmen death seems to be final. ;|
No, you just have to bring their bodies (and equipment!) to a temple somewhere and have them resurrected for a big load of money. And then there's a chance that they'll lose one point of Con as well.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 23 Oct 2006, 07:08

or find those ever handy raise dead scrolls .... my party doesn't have this problem in BG II - the cleric can raise a platoon!! but the problem simply becomes worse, complete destruction instead of death! that one sucks
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 Oct 2006, 15:00

stefan.urlus wrote:just remind me Kalah - you are playing Shadows of Amn aren't you?
No, right now I am on chapter 3 of the first game - "Baldur's Gate". I am having difficulty attacking the gnoll stronghold, the only tactic I can seem to get to work is sending one guy up front to lure the enemy at us one by one, and then shoot arrows at him with my thief.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 23 Oct 2006, 15:09

You'll be doing that a lot, trust me. If you find that any location is too tough for your party, go gather some experience (and gold) elsewhere and come back later.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 23 Oct 2006, 15:46

Not a particularly good idea for the Gnoll Stronghold, as the respawning rate is rather high. Better to do as AS suggested and try to get a higher-level party. BTW, which characters are you using?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 Oct 2006, 16:09

I think I'll go back to another place and try the stronghold later. I only have two lvl2 characters at this point, and the stronghold contains wave after wave of monsters and no end in sight.

Currently, I am using myself, the thief Imoen, the two fighters who met me and wanted me to come to Nashkel with them, and one conjurer who wants me to kill a witch. I also have a guy called Xam (?) who I picked up in the mines.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 23 Oct 2006, 16:39

Seems a rather diverse party. If I were you, I'd probably ditch Edwin and Xan, pick up Minsc in Nashkel, and then get Dynaheir from that stronghold. Two mages really is a bit overkill, even if Edwin is darn good with all bonus spells. Another option would be to get Ajantis, but he's quite far from your current location, so that's going to cost you some time. He starts at level 3 though, so he's very capable of soaking damage.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 Oct 2006, 22:17

I ditched Edwin for Viconia the dark elf. Currently roaming around in the north near a temple, to gather some experience and gold. I kept Xam because he's got that nifty sword...

Now, what's better, a sword doing 1D8 damage or onw doing 2D4?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Oct 2006, 22:39

2d4. It means two four sided dice. So you get values between 2 and 8. 1d8 means one eight sided dice, which get's you values between 1 and 8.

So the dmg ranges are (1st number) - (2nd number * 1st number)
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 24 Oct 2006, 04:03

ThunderTitan wrote:2d4. It means two four sided dice. So you get values between 2 and 8. 1d8 means one eight sided dice, which get's you values between 1 and 8.

So the dmg ranges are (1st number) - (2nd number * 1st number)
It's a little more complicated, since the 2D4 rolls tend to cluster more around the average. Out of 16 rolls, you will see:

1d8: 1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4,5,5,6,6,7,7,8,8
2d4: 2,3,3,4,4,4,5,5,5,5,6,6,6,7,7,8
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 24 Oct 2006, 05:40

Caradoc wrote:It's a little more complicated, since the 2D4 rolls tend to cluster more around the average.
Still, the expectation value is higher for the 2d4.

And Xan's swords is nothing to get excited about. He's too weak to get into a fight. Mages should stand back and sling spells, and Edwin is much better at that. (Though Xan is much funnier to listen to than Edwin...)

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 24 Oct 2006, 08:14

Anybody know a good walthrough site for BG Tales of the sword coast? Don't know why I am having such trouble with this blasted game.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

igoraki
Scout
Scout

Unread postby igoraki » 24 Oct 2006, 09:05

Kalah wrote:I ditched Edwin for Viconia the dark elf. Currently roaming around in the north near a temple, to gather some experience and gold. I kept Xam because he's got that nifty sword...

Now, what's better, a sword doing 1D8 damage or onw doing 2D4?
i liked Viconia very much,she have some bad attribute if i recall correct,constitution i think,but you can fix that later with some artifact that boost constitution to 18...
"You cannot make a baby in a month with nine women."

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 24 Oct 2006, 11:41

Viconia has the best battle cry... :D

Right now I'm looking for that bandit character who will yield a 5000 gold bonus if killed... Having trouble with my weapons though, they keep breaking, and now one of my characters has no weapon at all...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 24 Oct 2006, 21:10

These +1 weapons, are they worth buying or should I stay with the normal ones?

I'm thinking about raising some cash by killing off some of those huge green things that come up out of the ground; I can get 500 gold for each of them. That means I'll make money as long as none of my characters get killed. Then, when I've gotten enough weapons upgrades from these funds, I'll go after that guy who has a 5000 gold bounty on him. Couldn't manage him right now; all those hounds and wolves take too much HP's to kill off.

P.S.: How do you kill that Vampiric Wolf, anyway? I kept getting the message "weapon ineffective"...

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 24 Oct 2006, 22:17

Sounds like you need cooler weapons. Normal weapons jsut don't cut it I guess. Any weapon of +1 or better won't ever break.

As for that vampiric wolf, it sounds like you need magical weapons to hurt/kill it. There's a number of creatures that can only be hurt by magical weapons. You can try those +1 weapons, but if those don't work you'll just have to look for something better.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 25 Oct 2006, 00:39

+1 weapons are handy for the resistant creatures like some undead and lycans .... and they don't break so get 'em, killing Ankeg's is good for cash but the shells are awfully heavy (Minsc is good for lugging stuff around)
Anybody know a good walthrough site for BG Tales of the sword coast? Don't know why I am having such trouble with this blasted game.
http://au.faqs.ign.com/objects/011/011906.html

that should cover you
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 25 Oct 2006, 00:58

And in Baldur's Gate, it's smart to buy +1 weapons because any non-magical weapons will deteroriate over time.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 25 Oct 2006, 06:40

Meh. I make sure to find the magical weapons I need. Start with the blade you get from the mercenary near the Nashkel mines, that's rather easy to get and powerful enough to last through the game.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”