Baldur's Gate

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 13 Oct 2006, 06:34

my BG discs got scratched and won't install now, got the same problem with H3 so may need to buy the complete version .... but playing BG2 and loving it all over again - I created my own party from scratch (which means I miss a bit of the storyline .... ok a lot, but I just love my created party) and they kick a$$

my monk is now a killing machine and the paladin with carsomyr is a tyrant, the ranger, thief and mage are nice shooters (and caster for the mage) and the cleric does some mean damage with the dual wielded warhammer (Crom Faer) and morningstar (Flail of the Ages)!

as an aside, my mage and thief started as fighters until level 7 and then dualed to their new classes - huge HP for a thief and mage!!!
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Nebs
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nebs » 13 Oct 2006, 11:31

Kalah wrote:I just bought it. Right decision?

I was wondering, how does BG play online? Any good?
It's bloody excellent. :D

Basically playing the game from the start but running just your character. Can even do NPC quests if there's place in party for them to join for that time.

If you are interested, I'd love to be your party member. Installed some mods though, have to check if it works now.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 13 Oct 2006, 12:20

stefan.urlus wrote:as an aside, my mage and thief started as fighters until level 7 and then dualed to their new classes - huge HP for a thief and mage!!!
You should try starting out with a ranger in BG1 and dualing it to a cleric after you've gained your first weapon point... That character was just insane.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 13 Oct 2006, 15:09

Nothing quite as good at killing as a cavalier with Carsomyr.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 14 Oct 2006, 04:22

Well I always made my own little band of misfits..I mean PC's when doing BG and BG2 (personally I found bg2 much more fun). I usually went with 2 fighters, 2 rangers, a paladin, and a cleric. Then I mc 1 fighter (after about level 7 into a mage, and 1 ranger into a cleric. Was insane, and in 2 I remember that some paladins could mc with no penalty to certain classes (depending on who they worshipped) and I think I mc'd to mage, but it's been awhile. They were near unstoppable.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 14 Oct 2006, 09:04

Mytical wrote:Was insane, and in 2 I remember that some paladins could mc with no penalty to certain classes (depending on who they worshipped) and I think I mc'd to mage, but it's been awhile.
As I remember it, paladins couldn't Multiclass at all. And I think having two apladins is a waste; there's only one carsomyr. Better to make the other one a sword-saint with specialization in Staffs and then turn it into a mage - robes doesn't count as armor :devious:

But playing with an al-custom party is surely more boring than a party with a lot of NPCs. Minsc is just too cool to miss :D

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 16 Oct 2006, 02:49

as i said, you do miss storyline and that is bad cause it's got a great story and interactions

but i love the custom-made party, just so damned powerful

my monk (she'd be about level 20 something) is probably more of a killing machine than the paladin, but it would be pretty close, the cleric is pretty awesome too (the 25 STR from Crom Faer) certainly doesn't hurt either :D or maybe it does :D

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 16 Oct 2006, 16:20

But where's the love? Where's the Minature Giant Space Hamster?
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 16 Oct 2006, 16:54

He's gone to lunch.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 16 Oct 2006, 20:15

I've just started playing Knight of the Old Republic which is the first "real" RPG that I will finish. BG II isn't that much harder to grasp huh? (considering I barely tried it).

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 Oct 2006, 20:18

I have no idea,I never played any of the star wars and star trek games(its a principle,and Ill stick to it).BG is a bit hard to adjust to in the begining,but as you play it will become much clearer.And its worth every single second that you spend in it :D

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 16 Oct 2006, 20:26

There are more things to keep track of than KoTOR, but as long as you make sure to pause often in combat, there shouldn't be much trouble.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Oct 2006, 20:27

Campaigner wrote:I've just started playing Knight of the Old Republic which is the first "real" RPG that I will finish. BG II isn't that much harder to grasp huh? (considering I barely tried it).
KotOR is a console RPG, so it is simpler, but it shouldn't be e very huge leap.

And DL, KotOR rocks, both of them, even with a cut up ending in #2. You're missing out on some great stories.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 Oct 2006, 20:30

ThunderTitan wrote: And DL, KotOR rocks, both of them, even with a cut up ending in #2. You're missing out on some great stories.
I know I am.And I did regret my decision once when I saw a review of one of those games(I think it was KotOR2),but I will still wont back up on it.I will never play a single game with SW of ST theme,nor pay to watch a single of those movies.When they are on tv,I might give them a shot,but Ill never rent them,nor go to a theater to watch them.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 16 Oct 2006, 20:37

ThunderTitan wrote:KotOR is a console RPG, so it is simpler, but it shouldn't be e very huge leap.
What it lacks in dept, it makes up in its storyline. KOTOR is simply enough what the new trilogy should have been.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Oct 2006, 21:18

Angelspit wrote: KOTOR is simply enough what the new trilogy should have been.
I consider both KotOR's the best SW stories ever.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 16 Oct 2006, 22:07

"But what has all this got to do with Baldur's Gate?", the moderator asked while brandishing his cricket bat. :offtopic:
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Oct 2006, 22:11

Kalah wrote:"But what has all this got to do with Baldur's Gate?", the moderator asked while brandishing his cricket bat. :offtopic:
Competitive comparison. But you are right.... see you on the flip side.
Last edited by ThunderTitan on 16 Oct 2006, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 16 Oct 2006, 22:15

"Thaaaankyou!", he said in his best Mary Poppins-imitation.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 17 Oct 2006, 00:37

upgrade from a baseball bat to cricket bat Kalah?? Well, it is cricket season after all, c'arn the Aussies

*cough* arrhmmmm

BG II - Yeah, you do miss the Miniature Giant Space Hamster, and all manner of things, but that is what I did on first play thru, subsequent playthroughs have always been with a full made party

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”