The best level 4 creature

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Which is the best (not favourite) level 4 creature?

Griffin/Imperial Griffin
2%
Succubus/Succubus Mistress
23%
Vampire/Vampire Lord
18%
Druid/Elder Druid
34%
Dark Raider/Grim Raider
9%
Mage/Archmage
14%

Total votes: 44

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

The best level 4 creature

Unread postby Metathron » 15 Oct 2006, 14:20

What do you think is the most powerful tier 4 creature?

There's quite some competition, so this should be far from a no-brainer.

So choose and explain!
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Bonzer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Bonzer » 15 Oct 2006, 14:30

I sense this will be a long post. Very good question. I like them all, but when you list them like this it seems the Griffins are the worst due only to their special ability is the weakest.

As for which I like best, um,
Vampires for Regen
Druids for damage and spells
Mages for line of sight damage and spells.

I voted mages, but it could easily have been any of these.

I wonder how long it will take the usual faces to turn up and start bickering :baby:

Good post, Metathron.
We will either find a way, or we will make one. Emperor Hannibal.

Zrana
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Zrana » 15 Oct 2006, 14:55

Pretty hard question, which is good i spose; but it really depends on lots of things - for example early/mid game druids are definately more powerful, with vampires (esp lords) a close second. In the end i voted for gryphons because of their all-round capability and good synergy with haven's strengths.

Eventually vampires become too weak (imo anyway) as the game goes on, and the ai *always* targets grim raiders right after your furies. I dont like the archmages line of sight damage, because its quite easy for an opponent to use it against you. Succubi ive heard are very powerful, but i dont have much experience with them so i cant comment really.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 15 Oct 2006, 15:05

I have to say druids, at least in small numbers. They're tougher than mages and has better direct damage spells. Non-spellcasters can't compete in small numbers.

In larger numbers, it's very muddled, since all of them is very good in their particular manner. Vampires are the units that should benefit the most from higher numbers though.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Oct 2006, 15:31

A very tough question because all of them are excelent.But I picked the druids because clearing the map in the begining is so easy with them(unless you run into gargoyels or unicorns,or something like that).Just have 6 single druids and a pack of hunters,and you can clear half the map.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 15 Oct 2006, 15:36

Bonzer wrote:I wonder how long it will take the usual faces to turn up and start bickering
the red one is here, the blue one will come soon.

anyway, voted druid.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Oct 2006, 15:40

vhilhu wrote:
Bonzer wrote:I wonder how long it will take the usual faces to turn up and start bickering
the red one is here, the blue one will come soon.
Actualy i'm gonna keep this my only post over here. Let's see if you don't start to argue anyway. Unless the thread dies.

Oh, and BOO...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Shuyssar
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Shuyssar » 15 Oct 2006, 16:15

All of them are beautiful and strong! It is so hard to choose...
"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us. " -Gandalf

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Oct 2006, 17:19

Shuyssar wrote:All of them are beautiful and strong!
And only one is female... :devil:
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Mightor Magic
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mightor Magic » 15 Oct 2006, 17:45

Mage/Archmage for me.

Mage is better than the Duid in ranged attack and area magic attack. And if Mages used Ice Bolt instead of Magical Fist then they would beat them in all catorgories.

Basic Mages are more useful than the basic Succubi and Riders.
Mages last longer than Griffins.

Vampires come the closest but by the time you get a large enough stack of vamps to pose a threat, skeleton archers are usually better. Mages will always stand up with the Titans, especially with Archery.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 15 Oct 2006, 17:56

ThunderTitan wrote:
Shuyssar wrote:All of them are beautiful and strong!
And only one is female... :devil:
So sure? what about griffins and lizards under drow arses?

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 15 Oct 2006, 17:57

Voted Raider... love the way they cross the battlefield and one hit kill the enemy's lvl 7 unit stack, and then lizard bite everything near. But I think it's a close call between the choises and it is more a matter of situation. There isn't an all around best tier 4 unit... IMO

Arqane
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Arqane » 15 Oct 2006, 18:20

Yeah, it's very situational. I also chose the Grims because, while they're extremely hard to use well, they're extremely powerful when done right. They're excellent high tier killers, and can wreak havoc on the rest if you do it right.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Oct 2006, 18:40

vhilhu wrote: So sure? what about griffins and lizards under drow arses?
I don't think, as in i'm pretty sure, that I'd care to check.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 15 Oct 2006, 19:00

Just so we can compare more easily, here's some visual aid:

I must say I'm a bit surprised at the current outcome of the poll. I expected the raiders, griffins and vampires to be left far behind in the dust in favour of the ranged units, but it is not quite so.

As for my choice, I was a bit torn between the druids and the mages, and finally chose the latter, mostly for the reasons already stated by Mightor Magic. The fact that mages have Fist of Wrath in their arsenal makes them more diverse as you can assault magic-resistant creatures as well. And though their magic attack is a double-edged sword, it seems to be more of a blessing than a curse if you just position the mages correctly and mind where you point your mouse. ;)
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

atma6
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby atma6 » 15 Oct 2006, 19:13

This is a hard decision as they are all some of the best each town has to offer.

I voted Druid because of its sheer survivablility and damage output.

The succubi and vampires would be second for me due to their nice abilities, but their relative lack of usefulness in large numbers.

Third would be mages. They loose points for being REALLY fragile, and having fist of wrath instead of an elemental attack. Also their blow through damage really amplifies their weakness as in large numbers you want them as shooters not mages and therefore can't protect them properly.

Raiders hit fourth because the AI targets them and they are fragile, thus it is hard to build a substantial supply. Offensively they are top notch though.

Griffins hit bottom for me as they are really weak defensively and offensively unless you battle dive, which is useless against fast creatures. Infinite retaliation is wasted as they fall really quickly. Battle dive itself is useful against shooters and really slow melee units thus making Griffins eternally annoying, but not as powerful as the others.

Zrana
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Zrana » 16 Oct 2006, 03:29

And though their magic attack is a double-edged sword, it seems to be more of a blessing than a curse if you just position the mages correctly and mind where you point your mouse
I dont think you quite got what i meant there; suppose this situation: Late game, hero vs hero battle, next 2 units to move are a large stack of archmagi (say 150), and then a group of black dragons (20ish). If you control the archmagi then you want the black dragons down asap - and you can only do it effectively with a range attack now that the stack has grown. All i have to do the turn before is position my best unit (the dragons) just on the LOS of your best unit (well that would be titans who dont move, but say rakshasas) and so force you to attack something else less valuable. Also, i dont know about you but whenever im fighting magi i make sure never to have several units on the line of sight of them anyway.

Having said that, mages are still great when used with teleport assault :) if you can get them a the end of an enemy battle line its pretty nice.

Cyrox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Cyrox » 16 Oct 2006, 03:45

Pretty hard poll. But I voted vampire/vampire lords.

In large numbers they are pretty much invincible. They can sustain themselves very well by their resurrection ability.

wayne
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby wayne » 16 Oct 2006, 09:05

Went for the Succubus, gotta love Chain Shot

Arqane
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Arqane » 16 Oct 2006, 09:47

atma6 wrote: Raiders hit fourth because the AI targets them and they are fragile, thus it is hard to build a substantial supply. Offensively they are top notch though.
Stat-wise, Raiders are either number 1 or 2 in every category. They've got double the hit points of almost every other tier 4, and only 1 defense less than archmages (go figure that they have the best armor). It's true the AI targets them right after the Furies, and for good reason. The only reason they don't seem all that powerful is that Warlocks lead them :P.

I'd call them anything but fragile, though.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”