An idea for Word of Light/Curse of the Netherworld

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Adicto
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Adicto » 06 Oct 2006, 19:29

C´mon JJ, you know that imagination and brillancy aren´t Nival´s strong points. Nothing will change, not for good at least.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 06 Oct 2006, 22:16

@JJ: So you say that dwarves are a light faction.Would it be too much to ask what the other favoured school is?Runic magic have their own guild or are they the second school?And one more:About the new spells,will there be new in the 4 familiar ones?
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 07 Oct 2006, 04:36

Making them useful would be easy.

Make word of light and curse of the netherworld have minor secondary effects(this would apply to all creatures with the dmg only applying to the specific creature in question).

Example :
Word of Light casts a weakened version of confusion on all targets.

Curse of the Netherworlds casts a weakened version of suffering on all targets.

If they still suck you could always make these secondary effects only apply to enemy creatures.

Problem solved. :D

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 07 Oct 2006, 07:41

Having these level 5 just doesn't seem right somehow, too weak for the price/level. Chain lightning is more useful against undead/Inferno ect (WoL) or other towns (CotN). It is only a 4th level spell. Still just giving them another effect won't really earn them a good level 5 rating. Either make them more powerful, or lessen the circle/cost of them. Replacing them would be my choice. Maybe with something like...

Level 1= Aid - 75% chance of removal of all negative spells on a stack and add +1 hp(this is at any skill level) + (1x 1.5 spellpower (sp))in hp this does not 'fade' but only effects the top unit and once taken away by damage is gone. 6 mana

Level 2= Restore - Adds 3xspxskill in health to target stack, can not ressurrect any fallen creatures. Also can not take target to above max hp. 7 mana

Level 5 = Divine Heal - Combines Aid and restore, but can ressurect creatures. 15 mana (restores first, the casts Aid).
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 07 Oct 2006, 08:30

@Elvin: The Dwarves have Light and Destruction like the Rangers. I couldn't figure out yet how the heroes develop, but they are back to Rune Mages now and I suppose they are middlish somehow.
About new spells I don't know what will be in actually; translating things, I've learned, doesn't mean things have to be in necessarily (yet), so I can't say anything here really.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 07 Oct 2006, 09:38

Hehe :) Things change all the time,none can be sure what will come out eventually.But even this insight is just as fine,thanks!I find it disappointing that destruction goes to a non magic hero as you can only enjoy them with a warlock currently-maybe necromancer if you can find some spells.Wizards and rangers have their uses for it but still they are lacking in spellpower.
- Metathron

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Oct 2006, 10:50

Tripple balista more then makes up for it.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 07 Oct 2006, 11:00

Elvin wrote:Hehe :) Things change all the time,none can be sure what will come out eventually.But even this insight is just as fine,thanks!I find it disappointing that destruction goes to a non magic hero as you can only enjoy them with a warlock currently-maybe necromancer if you can find some spells.Wizards and rangers have their uses for it but still they are lacking in spellpower.
It looks like the Hero IS more magical. Don't let yourself fool by the stats of that example hero. They start 0 1 2 2 and won't be Warlocks but develop enough magical points. They look pretty balanced all in all.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 07 Oct 2006, 11:11

You've just made my day! :D But this way will the dwarves be able to cast both types of magic simultaneously?We'll have to wait and see but if so it will be a refreshing experience!Seems like the battlemage has returned in a different incarnation.
- Metathron

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 07 Oct 2006, 13:02

It looks like there are a lot of misconceptions around of how Rune Magic will work. Here are some explanations that will make things clearer.
You could say that Rune Magic has two parts, the creature part and the hero part.
Basically, if it's a creature's turn that creature may elect to put an eligible Rune onto itself which is an action that costs no initiative. So let's say it's your defenders's turn and an eligible Rune is the Rune of Charge, a level 1 Rune that will double speed for one (this) round. This costs 1 Wood and will immediately double the speed of the Defenders from 4 to 8 for that move. A Rune may be used any number of times in a battle, but in general only once at the same time (which is irrelevant for the Rune of Charge).
Runelore, as the Dwarven racial, allows learning runes of the three circles and gives access to three abilities: Fine Rune. This will give a 50% chance that you don't need resources for a rune activation; Refresh Rune; this is a hero action allowing to activate a Rune again for a unit that already had an active rune on it for 50% of the hero initiative; and lastly Greater Rune which will allow activating a rune on a second unit (while it is active on another one) for triple the resource cost.
You see, that the hero is basically free to cast normal magic. :) The Hero has to learn the Runes (via Runelore), but the creatures do most of the rest.
In case you should think now, wow, these cool Dwarven units with their cool abilities and all that Rune stuff additionally plus so many cool new hero abilities, they must be an über-faction. Err, no, not exactly. The dwellings cost resources like hell and creature stats are, as you might have thought at this point, a bit on the weaker side. To give you an idea, the attack value of their level 5 basic creature, the Rune Priest, is a whopping 10 while defense is, drummroll please.... 6 as in six. Don't get me wrong. It's great. It's extremely interesting. It's a hell of a lot of fun.
The interesting thing is, as an opponent there's nothing guaranteed if you play against a Dwarven army. You see the units' stats and, yes, that should be an easy win, but once it's a unit's turn you may see any number of mostly unpleasant surprises and you will ask yourself a lot: What the hell has just happened?[/i]

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 07 Oct 2006, 13:32

From what I gather,unless the hero has greater rune there can't be more than one runes and if he does two of them at the same time are costly.The rune's duration is for the creature's action or does it depend on the hero?And the hero can 'cast' runes or just refreshes them wth the ability?Seems the dwarves will DEPEND on it though it can be tricky with many possibilities.This combination of runes,regular magic and new abilities should be quite thought-provoking :)
- Metathron

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 07 Oct 2006, 13:44

There can be as many Runes at the same time as there are DIFFERENT runes. But one and the same rune can only be active on one unit except for Greater Rune and triple the resource costs. How long a Rune is active depends on the Rune. Some Runes are active only for one action, but some are longer active. Since a creature can cast the Rune on itself without losing anything Heroes don't need to cast them. I don't know whether they can, but they are in their spellbook.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Oct 2006, 13:45

From what I gather,the duration will depend on the runes themselves.And yes,it sounds like a very nice system.Lets just hope they dont dumb it down like elemental vision.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 09 Oct 2006, 08:00

hmm how this topic got into WoL/CotN I have yet to figure out, but I must say this actually sounds ineresting (or JJ is a good sellsperson but the effect is the same) I am now more interested in getting this expansion. I think dwarves might be what Academy could have been (well except of course they will have higher att/def and lower know/SP) where magical specials make up for physical weaknesses. If they had did this with the mages instead of the mini artifacts they could have rocked :). Boy would i have been happier then a cat that just ate the canary AND the goldfish. Anyhow, this does seem very interesting...maybe soon I will be able to convince Sir_Toejam to do some rewiring to have the dwarves unit special under my beloved academy's skins...unless the dwarves just prove to interesting to even worry about it!!
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 09 Oct 2006, 09:39

Here's something, then, the MP players won't like for the Dwarves: the unit characteristics favor longer attrition battles in the beginning.
@ Mytical. What the Dwarven hero will make up in Att/Def against the Wizard their units (except the level 7) will lose. 10 6 for a basic level 5 is not the best attack and defense out there. Their level 3 has a high defense value, but that's about it. Furthermore the units have a low damage output.
In fact I expect most players having massive difficulties with the Dwarves at start.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 09 Oct 2006, 09:49

Good I don't mind a challenge :). And the wizard cronies were never really the buffest out there, but that is beside the point. I am getting to like the difficulty of making academy work (without mods), because it is uber hard to do. I love a challenge, but still get thrashed more then I like. Maybe the dwarves will give me the best of both worlds. Hard to start but not getting thrashed regardless how I play or strategy I use (tried hundreds of different strategies for academy so far with very little success, and hardly ever repeatable with the same exact strategy on the same exact map with the same enemys on the same difficulty setting). Maybe I will find a stategy that works most of the time eventually. Anyhow Dwarves sound like my kind of town, but why dwarves would be weak is unclear to me, I mean in literature they were hardy robust types that were pretty healthy. Oh well, might add to the spice.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 09 Oct 2006, 10:44

Well, they are. The level 5 mages witheir low defense are something special. The rest is rather sturdy. Good HPs (The levle 5s as well), but that sturdyness comes with a low damage and low attack.
But, yes, the Dwarves are a tacticians dream come true.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 09 Oct 2006, 11:50

I'm all for variety and special units but at least the big guy should do some good damage :) Seems like a handicapped race which can't do without runes with what has been said so far.Love it!And Mytical is right you present in a good enough manner though I'd be interested anyway.
- Metathron

Return to “Heroes V-VI”