8x10

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Do you:

Don't like it
40%
Will not buy the game because of it!
8%
Like it
10%
Don't care
21%
Don't care
21%

Total votes: 129

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

8x10

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Jan 2006, 21:21

The Battlefield...

EDIT:
Crap, the last option (Don't care!) didn't take! (edit: just realised what happened... it's my fault) Any mods around to fix it?
Last edited by ThunderTitan on 15 Jan 2006, 21:33, edited 2 times in total.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 15 Jan 2006, 21:25

Fixed. I added another option as well, unlikely as I think it is that somewone will use it.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 15 Jan 2006, 21:25

Many other factors are having me lean to not buying it, but an 8 x 10 battlefield is clearly ridiculous and an insult to those of us who have waited faithfully for this games release. It was supposed to be an improvement on what came before. Now, I thought they had said the battlefield would be scaled based on the number of units so maybe this is its smallest size. Let’s hope. 8|
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Jan 2006, 21:31

Gaidal Cain wrote:Fixed. I added another option as well, unlikely as I think it is that somewone will use it.

Oh, but someone will, and i'll either loose all respect for that person or he will just vote and not comment, which will drive me insane. I know you're out there, and i will find out where you live... :flame:

Thanks for the edit. :D

@jeff: Screw hope, we must riot.... and set stuff on fire.

EDIT: Someone already voted Don't care! People like that will ruin Heroes...
And there goes #2... take it somewhere else, you speed combat freaks... (no, really, there are other games out there for people without pacience)
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 15 Jan 2006, 21:42

I agree but traveling to Nival is just a bit far
EDIT: Someone already voted Don't care! People like that will ruin Heroes...
And there goes #2... take it somewhere else, you speed combat freaks... (no, really, there are other games out there for people without pacience
How can someone who has played Heroes not care :| Let me know if you do find where they live. They must be the same ones who only play the maps that come with the game. ;|

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 15 Jan 2006, 21:50

ThunderTitan wrote:Someone already voted Don't care! People like that will ruin Heroes...
So I will ruin Heroes? :hoo: I don't really like the small battlefield but I am willing to trust Nival and hope they know what they are doing -- that's why I chose that option.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Jan 2006, 21:57

I hate it!But its not the reason I wont buy the game

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Jan 2006, 22:02

Angelspit wrote: So I will ruin Heroes? :hoo: I don't really like the small battlefield but I am willing to trust Nival and hope they know what they are doing -- that's why I chose that option.
Well the bf size itself won't ruin Heroes, but that's how it starts. First a BF that even the slowest creature can cross in 2 turns, then we're all playing Starcraft of might and magic.

Some words of wisdom:
TRUST NO ONE!

BTW don't take that comment to seriously, I tend to get carried away sometimes.

Arzang
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Arzang » 15 Jan 2006, 22:06

jeff wrote:How can someone who has played Heroes not care :| Let me know if you do find where they live. They must be the same ones who only play the maps that come with the game. ;|
what's wrong with that? of course it gets a bit boring replaying maps but I never got the urge to download maps. maybe I will for H5.

and me; I don't care. here's a simple reason; I've yet to actually play the damn game. scalable battle fields sounded cool and all but if Nival thinks 8x10 seems to be best I bet there's a reason behind their though.

what reasons do we have to think 8x10 is too small? number crunching? is that it?

I'm sorry but these figures mean nothing since we can't relate to them. if you can relate to them you better not say so because the only way to do so is to be part of the closed beta and the NDA has censored us.

vote: don't care.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Jan 2006, 22:12

jeff wrote:
I agree but traveling to Nival is just a bit far
Setting stuff on fire at Nival? I see how that's more effective than just doing it in my backyard. But it's kinda late now, ain'it....

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Jan 2006, 22:13

Whats wrong with starcraft?Its excelent!Id love it if the new HoMM is just a quarter as good as starcraft!

And having scalable battlefields is one of the very few inovation that they added to HV,and that is not lame.Scraping it for a fixed battlefield,and small one even,is just plain stuupid.I hope that its just one of the sizes available.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Jan 2006, 22:23

Arzang wrote:
and me; I don't care. here's a simple reason; I've yet to actually play the damn game. scalable battle fields sounded cool and all but if Nival thinks 8x10 seems to be best I bet there's a reason behind their though.

vote: don't care.
*darth vader voice* NOOOOOOOOOOO.....

Speeding up combat. It's been one of Ubi's stated goals all along. That's the most likely reason. If I want to finish the combat fast I use Quick Combat. While scaleable BF whould not be that bad 8x10 is to small. Think about it, griphons take 4 squares out of 80, you can put your creatures in the first and second line...

Here's the pic: Image

There's not enough room.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums/a/ ... 7041073893

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 15 Jan 2006, 22:36

what's wrong with that? of course it gets a bit boring replaying maps but I never got the urge to download maps. maybe I will for H5.
I guess that's the point, it's been how long since the last expansion. For me WoW was the last game I bought and if not for the player created maps, I would have given up computer games long ago. This however is about the battlefield and I may be wrong but I was hoping for a battlefield that allowed for the units to have more maneuver room. Sorry Angelspit but after visiting the official forum over the last few weeks I am not inclined to trust them. I will be ecstatic if my fears are misplaced.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Jan 2006, 22:45

DaemianLucifer wrote:Whats wrong with starcraft?Its excelent!Id love it if the new HoMM is just a quarter as good as starcraft!

And having scalable battlefields is one of the very few inovation that they added to HV,and that is not lame.Scraping it for a fixed battlefield,and small one even,is just plain stupid.I hope that its just one of the sizes available.

SC is bloody great! So is HoMM! If i want a RTS is play SC, if i want a TBS HoMM, not the other way around.

I hope that to. But i still complain coz hope is not enough.

Vision
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Vision » 16 Jan 2006, 05:10

I really dislike the fact that the battlefield size is only 8 wide, but, maybe there are other things to consider when taking the map size into account? Maybe...

Friend_of_Gunnar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Friend_of_Gunnar » 16 Jan 2006, 06:26

I have to say that I have thought about this new battle style of Nival.
Firstly, this was playtested and they said that 8X10 was best. Why is this so?
I can imagine why. Here's the reasons:

This new battle style is much more similar to reality than the old HOMM style which was basically only a strategy game. If you think like that than you realize that it is so important to keep your soldiers together because if they get apart the lonely one will be destroyed easily. Also, the archers and other shooting creatures will want to be as close as possible but still stay out of danger. They will follow behind the soldiers closely for closer range and also protection if they are attacked. What does this mean? This means that in the new style battle all armies will move closely together until they get next to each other and then hell is broken loose, just like real battle. What the designers did was they realized this and removed the time of the battle when all the creatures are moving together to fight each other. Now the battle starts immediately. (Also you must remember that each player will be able to set up the pieces just like he wants it before the battle starts)

I think that this characteristic will be what makes HOMM5 so much different from the ones that came before it. You're blood will be racing in the battle! And when it is over you will relax and raise your battle axe at your home and scream the cry of victory!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 Jan 2006, 06:40

Friend_of_Gunnar wrote:I think that this characteristic will be what makes HOMM5 so much different from the ones that came before it. You're blood will be racing in the battle! And when it is over you will relax and raise your battle axe at your home and scream the cry of victory!
I wonder now what was racing through my veins before.I thought that the feeling i was expiriencing during battles in previous HoMMs was exitment,but I guess that I was wrong.

Archers will never move close enough for any of the enemy units to reach them before their melee buddies engage in fights.Not even in fantasy game.

[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 16 Jan 2006, 07:31

vote don't like it.

Bad. Real Bad. One thing is there's hardly enough place for strategy, for a big map there PLENTY tricks you can do.
Round Table Olympics '07 Image

Edswor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Edswor » 16 Jan 2006, 08:55

Well, may they bring back scalable battlefields after all the complains that they will get in the open beta (or may be not :D ).

val-gaav
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby val-gaav » 16 Jan 2006, 09:11

Ooooooppps ...
What have I done by posting this scan on official forums :)

But seriously : I do not like it ... a bit to small
If there is mass haste in game it should be double size of this what we see ...

If there is no haste ... Well then it's quite good , but should be 10x10 or 11x11 ...

Return to “Heroes V-VI”