Thousand dollar question: Cash or EXP?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Thousand dollar question: Cash or EXP?

Unread postby maltz » 30 Sep 2006, 22:21

I must be a little retarded to notice it this late. Well, just in case you didn't know: :D ... that you can optimize your choices as well!

Let's simplify things a bit. Say there are a total of 15 chests. 5 large chests are 2000G/1500EXP, and 10 small chests are 1000G/500EXP.

Now let's say your goal is to gether 10000G from the chests. To the extreme there are two choices:

Cash 5 large chests, rest EXP: You get 10000G + 5000 EXP.
Cash 10 small chests, rest EXP: You get 10000G + 7500 EXP.

You see the difference, right? So generally speaking, when you are looking forward a balanced Cash & Exp distribution amont chests, cash the smaller ones (1000/500) and take the EXP for the larger ones (2000/1500). You'll get more out of them this way. :-D

Idleness2
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Idleness2 » 30 Sep 2006, 22:40

but theres a lot of ther things that play into this....Early on, it doesnt take much experience to get a level, and just getting that one skill you need, like tactics, or haunted mines, or advanced destructive magic, etc. can double or triple or more the power of your army.

Id MUCH rather take a hero who has an army of only teir 1-4 creatures, but can cast chain lightning, than a hero who has an army of 1-5 creatures, u follow what I mean?

With some races, getting some vital skill liek this doesnt really happen, I think it is especially dungeon, necropolis, and inferno, that desperately need quick levels early. If you are haven, of course, probably gold better, dunno.

joerginger
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby joerginger » 30 Sep 2006, 22:46

In my experience the choice is almost always very simple in the campaign. Since most missions are designed in a way that will make at least your main hero hit the level limit sooner rather than later, it's usually better to chose the gold.
Right at the start of a mission (or more important: of a campaign - when you start with a newbie of a hero) things might be different, of course. One chest right after starting a mission can be an instant level. Later on, the experience you gain from chests isn't needed that much anymore.
In multiplayer this might not be true, since you most likely need to make the most of your hero as quickly as you can.

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 30 Sep 2006, 23:07

I guess I must be really retarded to name the topic wrong. I am not asking advise for whether to pick exp or cash to win... just sharing a simple mathematical phenomenon.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 30 Sep 2006, 23:11

Yeah, we know, if you want to lvl: 500 XP = take cash, bigger take XP. Pretty much something most ppl agreed on in the poll thread.

And it's not your fault ppl don't read the first post, just the title.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

nevermindspy
Pixie
Pixie

like this

Unread postby nevermindspy » 01 Oct 2006, 06:12

Generally speak always gold is better , I think the only situation where i'd take a chest (or even 2) is when i'm near a level up tree and i'm that close to a level up so i wouldn't wanna waste that tree for such much little experience..

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 01 Oct 2006, 07:24

Depends on the situation, again. There might be maps with good possibilities to get gold and limited ways to level up (i.e. one of the first campaign maps to reach maximum level). Or just the opposite. Anyway, usually I take 1500 experience and go for 1000 gold but sometimes I lack of gold or experience so I do the opposite.

Several times I've made a mistake to level up too early picking experience from chests and then part of map's offered experience is wasted. Of course, if I'm playing this map for the 1st time, I don't know it.

And, of course, often I leave chests for my secondary heroes to level up fast, no matter how much experience.

Kilop
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Kilop » 01 Oct 2006, 07:33

i do agrea with nevermind, and keep in mind that in heroic, if you don t take gold, you ll lack money to buy your capitol , and castles, so you don t get enough creature, so yyou don t get xp .. but in mormal it is better to take xp most of the time ( apart, if our really strugling for gold )
I support(ed?) Nival... flame on !!!
The truth pure and simple is seldom pure and never simple...

MeTaMoRpHoSiS
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

my opinion

Unread postby MeTaMoRpHoSiS » 01 Oct 2006, 10:22

i think i'll balance between gold and EXP by taking the EXP in the large ones and the others are for gold

wayne
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby wayne » 01 Oct 2006, 11:25

I thought there is another thread on this somewhere in the forum

Shuyssar
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Shuyssar » 01 Oct 2006, 12:47

I choose the exp! :devil:

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 02 Oct 2006, 05:05

Let me duck in here to note once again that the real question is whether take the benefit the experience will provide versus the benefit of what the gold will buy.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 02 Oct 2006, 05:25

Also depends on needs at the time. Sometimes I pick all exp, or all gold, sometimes a combo (high exp, low gold combo). I usually take a cheap level if I find a 1000xp chest during the first few days regardless however. (cheap exp is good :)).

Heroic - gold much more then exp (for heroic and hard the neutral stacks will make up for the lost exp)
Hard- Gold more then exp.
Normal - either depending
Easy - exp more then gold. (The neutral stacks generally don't help with exp, and since you start with a lot of gold, usually better early game to take exp, then late game mix it up with High Gold, low exp combo or vice versa).
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Return to “Heroes V-VI”