New skills you would like to see?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

New skills you would like to see?

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 29 Sep 2006, 13:07

Are there any new hero skills you would like to see in the expansion or in a patch?

I'll kick it off with a few necromancer abilities I'd like to see in the expansion or in a patch.

Skill : Raise Zombie
Requirements : Basic Summoning Magic, Advanced Necromancy.
20% of all skeletons raised raised come back as zombies.

Skill : Raise Plague Zombie
Requirements : Basic Summoning Magic, Advanced Necromancy, Raise Zombie.
20% of all skeletons raised raised come back as plague zombies.

Skill : Raise Ghost
Requirements : Basic Dark Magic, Expert Necromancy.
10% of all skeletons raised come back as ghosts.

Skill : Raise Spectre
Requirements : Basic Dark Magic, Expert Necromancy, Raise Ghost.
10% of all skeletons raised come back as spectres.

Go ahead and suggest your own ideas!

Kilop
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Kilop » 29 Sep 2006, 13:15

no raise spectres, raise vampires if you wish, but not spectres !!! i hate them sooo much !!
But, yeah, a skil :
stealth, allow to get near enemy without beeing seen, need to pass by a buliding or a hero to get discovered...
allow at expert to bypass some critters ...
yeah, it would be hard to balance ...
I support(ed?) Nival... flame on !!!
The truth pure and simple is seldom pure and never simple...

Shuyssar
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Shuyssar » 29 Sep 2006, 18:55

Raise Dragons would be so cool!

Cyrox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Cyrox » 29 Sep 2006, 19:34

Since Attack and Defence have their skills, its only right that magic should get a skill of their own.

Like:

Basic Wizardry- Increases damage from spells by 5%
Advanced Wizardry- Increases damage from spells by 10%
Expert Wizardry- Increases damage from spells by 15%

And this applies to direct damage spells cast by the hero and by the creatures.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 29 Sep 2006, 20:21

There already are magic boosting skills:Sorcery and irresistable magic.

Idleness2
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Idleness2 » 29 Sep 2006, 20:56

Instead of adding new skills I think they should fix a lot of the useless skills that currently exist

Power of speed, for example, just mean u are gonna be saving 4 mana on a spell you never cast, unless you went for light magic and master of wrath anyway. You should cast it at expert level or something, also, to make this skill worth anything

Same with power of endurance

Mana burst does too little damage, like corrupted soil. You level is pretty much always going to be in the range of 15-20, and at that point yr dealing with stacks of 60 mages or druids or whatever, and 15 damage is just very negligable. Make it 4 or 5 times the hero level. corrupted soil, 3 or 4.

Damage on chilling bones is also too small

There should be some other point to tears of asha vision on maps with no tear of asha.

These various skills that are around, like temporary 100 mana and +1 to knowledge, and stuff, are highly unexciting. The Battle commander is okay, but otherwise, they are things that in general do not help much at all, and also do not really increase the uniqueness of your hero or give him anything permenant in his development. I think ever level up should give you something that really makes u stronger, even give battle commander something, that is permenant and something better than this meager +1 to knowledge or something.

Haunted mines is too powerful, I think. It should provide much less ghosts, but give you maybe +10% initiative to all ghost you control, that way it also boosts your hero, in a more permanent way.

Scholar and arcane intuition are, as always, inferior skills, as they depend too much on unlikely circumstances. You of course develop your characters based on spells you know they will get, not ones u are hoping for, and probably never, get. One of these would be more useful if you make them so that as a secondary, they let u learn all spells, even if u dont have the school mastery (But still cast on a no-mastery level), which may in turn make the other one more useful.

There should be some point for factions to get soldiers luck who are totally lacking in creatures who would benefit, and not just as a 'stepping stone' to skills, like warlocks luck, that they want very much. this should either be tweaked or else the requirement changed.

For dungeon, counterspell is unattainable and resistence is both unattainable and sadly weak. Erratic mana also is kinda lame (because its redundant with a more reliable skill still in sorcery). remove the resistence requirement (and the skill completely) from the game, and remove erratic mana, and the requirement. make this 'redundant' skill in sorcery the 3rd requirement to counterspell, instead.

I think academy should get some skill that they can acquire rather early, which is like estates, but instead gives say a small amount of any random rare resource every day. Artificer is cool and fun but as it is, logistically too expensive to use on hard and heroic maps.

I think Inferno has too many redundant ways to destroy castle walls, some streamlining there would be nice.

Dungeon should probably have slightly less damage with their destructive magic, but rather better in effect, i.e. longer freeze and stun (these should also, imo, be tweaked so they arent basically the exact same thing...freeze could be instead -30% to initiative for 2 or 3 turns or something), chain lightning could do a little less damage but stun everything it hits, including friendly. Well the -50% effect for fire is great in fact that maybe is too much, I dunno. But should be (even) more of a reason to really pay close attention to elements and consider the order of events.

I think necros should have more of a reason to get leadership, cause theres just not enough of a reason, as it is, for just the herald perk thing. But my way of fixing it would be to give them a teir 7 that is actually high quality, but not undead.

And in sure im forgetting something, in general, I think the skills must be drastically repaired.

nevermindspy
Pixie
Pixie

skills

Unread postby nevermindspy » 30 Sep 2006, 06:08

Swiftness - basic = +1 to all units initiative
advanced = +2
expert = +3

Speediness - basic = +1 to all units speed
advanced +2
expert +3

Fearsome - basic = neutral enemy units have 5% chance of running away from the battle regardless of their strength. (experince gained is halfed )
advanced = 10%
expert =15%

Stunner - basic = all units have 20% chance to avoid enemy retaliation
advanced = 40%
expert = 60%

nevermindspy
Pixie
Pixie

With some i agree , With some not.

Unread postby nevermindspy » 30 Sep 2006, 06:38

Idleness2 wrote:Instead of adding new skills I think they should fix a lot of the useless skills that currently exist

Power of speed, for example, just mean u are gonna be saving 4 mana on a spell you never cast, unless you went for light magic and master of wrath anyway. You should cast it at expert level or something, also, to make this skill worth anything

Same with power of endurance

Mana burst does too little damage, like corrupted soil. You level is pretty much always going to be in the range of 15-20, and at that point yr dealing with stacks of 60 mages or druids or whatever, and 15 damage is just very negligable. Make it 4 or 5 times the hero level. corrupted soil, 3 or 4.

Damage on chilling bones is also too small

There should be some other point to tears of asha vision on maps with no tear of asha.

These various skills that are around, like temporary 100 mana and +1 to knowledge, and stuff, are highly unexciting. The Battle commander is okay, but otherwise, they are things that in general do not help much at all, and also do not really increase the uniqueness of your hero or give him anything permenant in his development. I think ever level up should give you something that really makes u stronger, even give battle commander something, that is permenant and something better than this meager +1 to knowledge or something.

Haunted mines is too powerful, I think. It should provide much less ghosts, but give you maybe +10% initiative to all ghost you control, that way it also boosts your hero, in a more permanent way..
I agree with you there..

Idleness2 wrote: Scholar and arcane intuition are, as always, inferior skills, as they depend too much on unlikely circumstances. You of course develop your characters based on spells you know they will get, not ones u are hoping for, and probably never, get. One of these would be more useful if you make them so that as a secondary, they let u learn all spells, even if u dont have the school mastery (But still cast on a no-mastery level), which may in turn make the other one more useful.
Scholar your right , but arcane intuition is a great skill and i try to get it during most my games , once i get it and advanced destructive magic i can attack mages or pit fiends and get firebacll or even a wooping meteor shower also with a refugee camp on map you can get - pit fiends -matriachs - mages - djinns , from all u can use spells in combat and learn them quite early in the game..

Idleness2 wrote: There should be some point for factions to get soldiers luck who are totally lacking in creatures who would benefit, and not just as a 'stepping stone' to skills, like warlocks luck, that they want very much. this should either be tweaked or else the requirement changed.

For dungeon, counterspell is unattainable and resistence is both unattainable and sadly weak. Erratic mana also is kinda lame (because its redundant with a more reliable skill still in sorcery). remove the resistence requirement (and the skill completely) from the game, and remove erratic mana, and the requirement. make this 'redundant' skill in sorcery the 3rd requirement to counterspell, instead.
agree but erratic mana is really not a useless skill rather ok skill.
Idleness2 wrote: I think academy should get some skill that they can acquire rather early, which is like estates, but instead gives say a small amount of any random rare resource every day. Artificer is cool and fun but as it is, logistically too expensive to use on hard and heroic maps.

I think Inferno has too many redundant ways to destroy castle walls, some streamlining there would be nice.

Dungeon should probably have slightly less damage with their destructive magic, but rather better in effect, i.e. longer freeze and stun (these should also, imo, be tweaked so they arent basically the exact same thing...freeze could be instead -30% to initiative for 2 or 3 turns or something), chain lightning could do a little less damage but stun everything it hits, including friendly. Well the -50% effect for fire is great in fact that maybe is too much, I dunno. But should be (even) more of a reason to really pay close attention to elements and consider the order of events.

I think necros should have more of a reason to get leadership, cause theres just not enough of a reason, as it is, for just the herald perk thing. But my way of fixing it would be to give them a teir 7 that is actually high quality, but not undead.

And in sure im forgetting something, in general, I think the skills must be drastically repaired.
agreed with leadership its really a problem a skill that does nothing..
as to dungeon i think its pretty balanced as is.

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 30 Sep 2006, 14:18

I definitely agree with fixing many skills.

Arcane intuition is a pretty bad skill right now. I'd never really pick it unless I get really bad luck in my mage guild. There simply are not enough spells to warrant this ability. If the game actually have a decent spell library instead of the pathetic mage guild we have now then I could definitely understand getting it. Now though it's worthless.

Scholar could simply be given +2 knowledge and with the change listed at the bottom could be a useful bonus to get for your hero.

Leadership for undead could be easily solved by simply putting 1-2 good skills requiring high level leadership. For example an upgrade to herald of death that auto-upgrades all undead units in the heroes army. Or another skill that gives all undead +1 initiative and speed. Plenty of possibilities. I don't think we really need to give undead a non-undead tier 7 though.

Soldier's luck should honestly be changed to simply allow unit skills to get luck rolls(where they get a 100% increase in power). This way units that have castable abilities can still put this to good use and the amount of units that benefit from this skill double.

A current problem I have with the game right now with mana enhancing skills is that all abilities that give you more knowledge or mana are simply useless in the games current mindset. Once you hit 5-6 knowledge and you have intelligence skill you never run out of mana before the combat is over. Honestly I'd increase the spell cost of most spells by anywhere from 0-50%(level 5 spells would cost 50% more mana, level 4 40%, level 3, 30%, level 2 15%, level 1 stays the same) and then give all heroes +1 knowledge. So early game every hero has enough spell power to cost 2-3 spells but later on if you want to be able to spam high level spells in the entire battle you will need various secondary mana improving skills to give you the mana potential to do that.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”