The American Football Thread

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Vlad976

The American Football Thread

Unread postby Vlad976 » 18 Sep 2006, 16:27

Well, both the NFL and NCAA football seasons are well underway. I know there's at least a couple of fans that spend some time here, so I thought maybe a thread about it would be nice.
Feel free to post news, complaints about coaches/players, or any other opinions. If you're not a fan and don't plan on becoming one, please go elsewhere. Utterly brainless posts strictly prohibited.

Where do my loyalties lie?
College loyalties go to the Iowa State Cyclones. Lost to the Hawkeyes. :flame:

As for my NFL team, well lets just say that I'm not here to start no trouble, I'm just here to do the Superbowl Shuffle.
And we just killed Detroit 34-7. :victory:
Although I'm a little worried about the running game...
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

urbanmonk
Scout
Scout

Unread postby urbanmonk » 18 Sep 2006, 17:25

For me:

College- Oregon State Beavers

Pro- Vikings (born in minnesota, so been my team forever)
Seahwawks (since they are closest to where I live now)

Went to the Ducks/Sooners game on Saturday, WOW what a wild one that was.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 18 Sep 2006, 18:11

I can't talk about NFL right now because my team was pathetic yesterday and I'm a little steamed about it. :mad:
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 18 Sep 2006, 18:48

I never was much of a football fan (I prefer hockey) but I chose the Indianapolis Colts when my friends at school started to talk about the NFL. The team is similar to the now defunct Quebec Nordiques, my favorite sports team: after several years of misery, both teams put together a respectable and exciting line-up that often chokes in the crucial moments.

There's a football pool at the Disciples of Sareth, and I'm in second place after two weeks.

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 18 Sep 2006, 20:18

A pretty awesome day today, being a Cowboys fan in Virginia...I'm extremely happy with last night's 27-10 victory over Washington..

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 19 Sep 2006, 19:54

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

SKins fan - Hate Dallas. Hate TO. Hate Tuna. Love the fact that a Skin knocked Aikman into the booth. Miss the Hogs. Miss the diesel and the Riggo drill. Miss the Smurfs. Miss Darrell Green. Miss Art Monk. Miss JKC and RFK.

This is going to be a very very very long season.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 19 Sep 2006, 20:13

gravyluvr wrote:Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

SKins fan - Hate Dallas. Hate TO. Hate Tuna. Love the fact that a Skin knocked Aikman into the booth. Miss the Hogs. Miss the diesel and the Riggo drill. Miss the Smurfs. Miss Darrell Green. Miss Art Monk. Miss JKC and RFK.

This is going to be a very very very long season.
Ditto. (Although I'll add: Miss Winning.)
Nevertheless: HTTR, buddy.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 23 Sep 2006, 02:32

Corribus wrote:Although I'll add: Miss Winning.
If I were a betting man, I'd put money on you getting reacquainted the win column on Sunday. Texans lost their starting LT for the season. (They may also be sans starting center too...)
They're one of the worst at protecting the QB, even before the injuries to the line.

Iowa State @ Texas(7)... :nervous: Must. Think. Positive. Thoughts.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 23 Sep 2006, 14:13

The Redskins will probably win this week against Houston (since they're likely the worse team in the league), but they're not going anywhere if Mark Brunell continues to be the starting quarterback. He looks absolutely awful, and Washington's defense doesn't look as good as people though they would this year.

But, teams have only played two games, so anything can happen..

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 23 Sep 2006, 14:36

I like the Seahawks and any Pac 10 team North of California. I stated in an earlier post to keep a close eye on Boise St. They have been undefeated in the WAC (Western Atheletic Conference) for the last 4 years. Unfortunately, the BCS does'nt recognize the WAC like, say, the Big 10 or Pac 10. For a small college, Boise St. is a strong football team.

Oreegon State is going to be okay but Oregon is better this year. I was glad to see the Ducks beat Oklahoma, but the refereeing of the game reminded me of last years Super Bowl between the Steelers and the Seahawks. Just pathetic. The refs GAVE Oregon the win, just as they GAVE the Steelers the win.

The Washington Huskies may break the 500 barrier this year. Not bad for a team still on probation. Next year, they will be a force to reckon with. Willingham is a better coach than I thought. (After all, his last team, Notre Dame is'nt doing too bad last I checked. His recruits there are under a new coach.)

Finally, in the NFL, all the hype about the noise, supposedly, the Seahawk stadium pipes through the loudspeakers will only fuel more rage for us fans when the Giants come to town this week. The Giants should've just kept their mouth shut. And Dion Branch makes his Seahawk debut.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 23 Sep 2006, 15:56

When I was a kid growing up in Corpus Christi (Texas), we only had one TV station. My exposure to the NFL consisted of 12 games where the Dallas Cowboys (circa Eddie Lebaron/Don Meredith) went down in dismal defeat, followed by the Bears and Giants seemingly appearing out of nowhere to play in the NFL finals.

I suppose I imprinted on the team, since although they have been thoroughly despicable in many ways, I continue to live and die with the Cowboys. I admit I am having a hard time with TO, but he gives the Cowboys the big play receiver they so badly need, so I will hunker down and hope for the best.

In the college game I have nothing but pride for my Texas Longhorns, defending National Champions, I must point out. We got out played and out coached by OSU -- they are one hell of a team -- but by the end of the season I expect the Horns will again rise to the top. If we could just arrange for the BCS championship to be played in the Rose Bowl ...
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: The American Football Thread

Unread postby Caradoc » 24 Sep 2006, 18:26

Vlad976 wrote:
Where do my loyalties lie? College loyalties go to the Iowa State Cyclones.
I will not dwell on Saturday's game, but can you perhaps explain the logo on the Iowa State helmets? The bottom part is plain enough -- a cyclone. But at the top it looks like there is a giant cardinal is sticking its head out. What is that thing? Does this have anything to do with Louisville?
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 25 Sep 2006, 00:17

Yeah, well the Detroit Lions can beat any team in the NFL. Assuming that every other team's players come down with some debilitating diseases....
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Sep 2006, 00:21

Caradoc wrote:When I was a kid growing up in Corpus Christi (Texas), we only had one TV station.
Weird, we had 2 even during communism... of course they were on only about 2 hours, and one had some speach from our "beloved" leaders, and the other a secret police guy asking why we're not watching our "beloved" leaders speak. :devil:

So, who's winning?!
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 25 Sep 2006, 00:52

I don't really understand the NFL .... we get a bit of it here (occasionally) and it just doesn't make sense to have three teams for each side, for starters, pausing the game for ad-breaks (i think that happens???) and the basically, well .... all of it

makes footy (AFL, that is) seem simply in comparison .... and a lot tougher!!!! ;)
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

urbanmonk
Scout
Scout

Unread postby urbanmonk » 26 Sep 2006, 18:44

Going to the Oregon State/ Cal game on Saturday.....hopefully we can at least stay close to Cal.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 27 Sep 2006, 01:19

Well, Cal is an underrated team. I think they are better than the NCAA top 25 puts them. Oregon State should do better with recruiting new players by next year. Winning the NCAA World Series of baseball did'nt hurt their chances.
Stanford is the only Pac - 10 team that baffles me. Why can't they put together a winning season?
Any event: Go WSU COUGARS! :D

Vlad976

Re: The American Football Thread

Unread postby Vlad976 » 28 Sep 2006, 20:16

Caradoc wrote:I will not dwell on Saturday's game, but can you perhaps explain the logo on the Iowa State helmets? The bottom part is plain enough -- a cyclone. But at the top it looks like there is a giant cardinal is sticking its head out. What is that thing? Does this have anything to do with Louisville?
It's a nod to ISU's original mascot, the cardinal. No connection to Louisville. Here's the story of it.

urbanmonk
Scout
Scout

Unread postby urbanmonk » 01 Oct 2006, 08:37

Well was a lovely day for a Football game, too bad the home team didn't show up :x . Skydivers before the game were great, went downhill from there :rofl: . Hopefully Cal will continue to play well, make us not look as bad.

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 01 Oct 2006, 22:41

Despite our best efforts, we managed to beat Northern Iowa 27-28. Geez, we committed 3 turnovers which included a bungled punt return and a fumble into the UNI endzone.
Oh well, I'm ready for this sunday's primetime game. Seattle pays us a visit.

Return to “Campfire”