Let's balance Academy...

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

What would be most needed or most appropriate ?

make mage stats k35 sp35 a15 d15
8%
tweak some creatures stats (genie s life...)
8%
more marks of the wizard (which work with sorc now)
No votes
adjust creatures artifact cost or effectiveness
4%
change spells effects or give mage more
No votes
change dwellings costs
17%
give genies auto random spell casting when they act
8%
give genies more health
No votes
or several of the options above
54%

Total votes: 24

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 21 Sep 2006, 07:02

Arqane wrote: Well, if they ever did change my basic strategy it would be tough. Fortunately they didn't. I found out pretty early that low tier creatures are just as powerful as high tier with their numbers. With Razzak's Att/Def boost as well as the skills towards Golems, it makes them powerful enough for sure. I'll usually mix another strategy in with this depending on who I get, but as the old saying goes, 'if it's not broken, don't fix it'.
Actually low tiers are even stronger than high tiers.And not just for academy.I rarely wnet over tier 5.

Oh and much better is :If you can make it better,do so.

Arqane
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Arqane » 21 Sep 2006, 07:49

Well, it's hard to make it better under the circumstances. People are just going to complain about another major re-balancing. I guess we can see when the expansion pack comes out.

I'm still actually really tempted to do a Heroes 5 1/2 game, since I personally think I could do better (doesn't everyone think so?). I do have a really cool idea, though. Maybe I'll just have to buckle down and get the basic programming done :P.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 21 Sep 2006, 07:55

yup.

the great thing is that obviously h5 had enough to it to at least interest folks in making it better.

could have been far worse.

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 21 Sep 2006, 10:16

Sir_Toejam wrote:
My only problem with him is that considering his cost his attack/defense stats are simply too low for a tier 5.
so what about lowering the purchase cost?

would that be better than adding hps?
Lowering cost would work as well if the growth was also upped. If djinn's had 4 growth and they cost 450/620 gold then I would definitely start using them.

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 22 Sep 2006, 08:59

I suggest another tweak for academy...
the artifacts you create increase power with the increase of hero knowledge.
I mean if at knowledge 3 you create an artifact with +1 to life, when you reach 5 knowledge automaticaly the artifact becomes +2 to life. This way you don't have to return to town and rebuild the same artifact over and over again just to benefit from the increase of your knowledge...

And another thing... if your creature dies wearing an artifact do you get back the artifact? I believe you should... if you win the battle at least...

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 22 Sep 2006, 09:31

okrane wrote: And another thing... if your creature dies wearing an artifact do you get back the artifact? I believe you should... if you win the battle at least...
Yeah, it's a waste. Especially with those fast dying Genies...
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

Idleness2
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Idleness2 » 26 Sep 2006, 05:23

I dont think academy is underpowered, but they are rather lopsided...golems are just so strong (and so superior to the other academy teirs) that whether you chose academy or not pretty much should depend on whether the map you are playing has a teir 3 creature dwelling.
It seems like there is not much room for creativity with them. Rezzak, lots of golems, teleport assault. Period. Other factions can be played in a more creative and stylistic manner without sucking.

looking at academy, their abilities have so much potential and all that balancing them would be an intricate task and could easily make them extremely overpowered. I think if you simply make it easy for them to use the abilities they have, they are gonna be much too powerful, but as it is, its too hard for them for purely logistical reasons, it seems. As far as potential is concerned, both with their armies and their abilities, they seem totally unequalled...even with these obnoxiously weak teir 2 and slightly weak teir 5 units. Their Teir 3 is totally awesome, their teir 1 is nice and supports teir 3, their teir 4 is quite useful, their tier 6 is so-so but their teir 7, which in later part of game may become most important, assuming finite creature generation,is probably the best (upgraded)teir 7. Artificer meanwhile has limitless possibilities, and magic mirror is an awesome ability. So even as it is, you could go with academy and at least know that if you can just survive long enough, u will eventually become unbeatable. Their ultimate is ridiculous...cast all spells at expert level? So it would make sense to me, that the race with the greatest potential has the hardest time surviving early...

Return to “Heroes V-VI”