What's it like? :)

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Crusard
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

What's it like? :)

Unread postby Crusard » 16 Sep 2006, 00:32

Maybe some of you have forgotten about me, but I was in love with the H4 editor. Since I can't buy the game, could someone sum up how this new map maker is, in comparison?

Just felt curious :)

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 16 Sep 2006, 01:59

Hmm, well I would say it is about the same. Since I can't seem to use this one either hehe. My map making skill has been a little sad. However, it is actually a little easier then some of the ones I have used. My only real problem is once I set something like a building down, I can't seem to modify it :(. Anyhow it is not too awful, now if I could just figure it out....
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 16 Sep 2006, 04:51

Well, I'm starting to get used to editing it, and my first map is starting to get ready (for which making and learning the editor I've used the excellent practical guide of the editor). I'm not yet familiar with the scripting system so I can't really comment on that, but I preferred HoMMIV's more because it actually requires less writing. Interface is a step down from HoMMIV (and III) but it ain't so terrible when you get used to it. What is really proplematic that making larger maps drags computer down to slowmobile. Object palettes are also terrible compared to Heroes IV and non-customizable as well. Object painter exists but that too seems to be non-customizable.

But overall, I can work with it.

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby addicted » 16 Sep 2006, 04:55

Between night and day, apples and oranges!
In my humble opinion, H-5 editor has a long way to go to be as good as H-4.
The H-5 editor is complicated to use, laggy, and missing a lot of functions among other things. Hope you know programing!!!
So with the H-5 editor, it ends map making for me as far as H-5 maps are concern..
How you Treat people & what You Do or Don't Do will someday come back to "Bite You" or "Bless You". The Choice is Yours & will Affect You Today & Everyday of Your Future. Granny

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 16 Sep 2006, 09:01

I've just downloaded the patch and now I'm reading the editor manuals. My first impression was: "Oh my Lord, they've certainly gone through a LOT of trouble just to make appropriate scenery available for peasant huts!"

Edit: Make that "Oh my Lord, I can't believe it doesn't have Undo!" :disagree:
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

AngelEyes
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby AngelEyes » 17 Sep 2006, 21:18

Mytical wrote:My only real problem is once I set something like a building down, I can't seem to modify it :(.
Thats the same problem I'm having! Selecting objects seems to be ridiculously difficult. I think I read in the manual somewhere that you right-click to select, but that doesn't seem to work. Maybe I'm missing something here? ;|

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 18 Sep 2006, 13:00

AngelEyes wrote:
Mytical wrote:My only real problem is once I set something like a building down, I can't seem to modify it :(.
Thats the same problem I'm having! Selecting objects seems to be ridiculously difficult. I think I read in the manual somewhere that you right-click to select, but that doesn't seem to work. Maybe I'm missing something here? ;|
You need to go from objects page to some other page, then come back to object page and then try selecting the object, when it turns red you can rotate it (R) and with spacebar you can go to change the objects properties (if any).

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 18 Sep 2006, 13:05

AngelEyes wrote:
When you lay the object down hit escape to get the object type off your cursor. Now click on the object you want to edit. Hit the spacebar and the properties for that object comes up.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Shuyssar
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Shuyssar » 18 Sep 2006, 17:53

I want to make a map, but it looks too complicated for me. :( :( :(

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 18 Sep 2006, 18:01

make wog maps then :-D

Shuyssar
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Shuyssar » 18 Sep 2006, 18:08

How can I make those?

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 18 Sep 2006, 18:15

first, you need homm3:complete or homm3:SoD. or any package where one of these is included.

homm3: Wake Of Gods

download it from http://wakeofthegods.strategyplanet.gamespy.com/.

theres a subsection for wog on this forum.

and wog map editor is probably the most powerful editor in the series(certainly more than h4)

AngelEyes
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby AngelEyes » 18 Sep 2006, 22:29

Thanks Humakt and GOW...that did the trick!

Shuyssar
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Shuyssar » 19 Sep 2006, 18:44

I don't like the Wog.

alavris
Scout
Scout

Unread postby alavris » 19 Sep 2006, 19:08

Shuyssar wrote:I want to make a map, but it looks too complicated for me. :( :( :(
Then I suggest you to make a map step by step with Editor Practical Guide. After finishing this, you should be able to create your own map without help. :) And don't worry, it all look complicated only at the beginning. About 2h of working with this and then almost everything is simple...

Shuyssar
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Shuyssar » 22 Sep 2006, 20:09

It is not simple. It is difficult!

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 02 May 2007, 20:20

Then I suggest you to make a map step by step with Editor Practical Guide. After finishing this, you should be able to create your own map without help. smile And don't worry, it all look complicated only at the beginning. About 2h of working with this and then almost everything is simple...
Yes, that's what I did, and I agree, it is pretty simple, except for bridges. But, I found the answer for doing bridges on the forum. This is a fantastic community with answers to just about any question.
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

“Forgiving and being forgiven, loving and being loved,
living and letting live, is the simple basis for it all."

Ernest Holmes 1984

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: What's it like? :)

Unread postby Thelonious » 07 May 2007, 10:38

Crusard wrote:Since I can't buy the game, could someone sum up how this new map maker is, in comparison?
I don't have it either, but by looking at the replies here I'm actually glad I don't have it.
Grah!

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”