What I don't like about Heroes 5

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

What I don't like about Heroes 5

Unread postby okrane » 16 Sep 2006, 16:09

I started this poll for everyone to express their discontentment about certain aspects of heroes 5

Maybe this will help in somewhat the creators...

What I really hate about this game is the fact that they changed all the names of some known spells, creatures and artifacts. For example: the spell Bless... it has been bless since Heroes 1 (the same spell, which did the same thing... even the icon is the same)... so why change it?
It's not something that can be done better... I just think it's the tradition of heroes. Worse is weakness... they replaced the name of a spell with another... at first I was very confused...
And goes the same for the other spells which now have another name... also artifacts and come creatures... (like shackles of the last man... bleah...the name sucks even...)

Shuyssar
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Shuyssar » 16 Sep 2006, 16:26

The new names are much better!

Night_Heaven
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Night_Heaven » 16 Sep 2006, 16:35

The old ones rulzzzzzz...Actualy there is a good mood that replaces all spell names. they change them to appear that they have bring something new in heroes.Actualy they make them worse

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 16 Sep 2006, 16:37

Switching around names of spells in a series of game is daft indeed. Only causes needless confusion. Might be caused in part by h5 being made by russians, as opposed to english speaking (US) NWC who made the others. Just a guess of course.

I'm also amused that Summon Boat got made into, *ahem*, vessel of shalassa... oooh la di dah :rolleyes:
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

WinterIsComing
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby WinterIsComing » 16 Sep 2006, 16:47

I think of it as huge loss of development hours that could have went into better AI, better abilities and specialization, or God forbid proper in game documentation and maybe being able to sell artifacts.

Shuyssar
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Shuyssar » 16 Sep 2006, 16:47

Vessel of Shalassa sounds better!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 Sep 2006, 16:48

We need a separate thread for trashing this game? :| I had no idea :devious: Oh,and dont we already have 5 or 6 hate,and 5 or 6 praise threads already?

About the names,most are bad,but some changes are actually good.I like the puppet master and eldrich arrow(although magic missle is a classic,this one is on par with it).The vessel,however,is terible.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 16 Sep 2006, 16:54

Actually the names are not Nival's doing, but Ubi's.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Sep 2006, 18:50

Bah, the name change pales in comparison to the reduction of spells...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Eternor
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Eternor » 16 Sep 2006, 19:45

At the beginning of development, all the names in Heroes 5 were the same as in previous Heroes games , then they were changed according to the new "Heroes World Bible", so that they could be consistent with the ones used in Dark Messiah and future Might and Magic games.

Shuyssar
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Shuyssar » 16 Sep 2006, 20:22

Old names are boring.

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 16 Sep 2006, 20:47

Eternor wrote:At the beginning of development, all the names in Heroes 5 were the same as in previous Heroes games , then they were changed according to the new "Heroes World Bible", so that they could be consistent with the ones used in Dark Messiah and future Might and Magic games.
And why old names couldn`t be used in Dark Messiah?

Corelanis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Corelanis » 16 Sep 2006, 21:16

Whats the "Heroes World Bible"?

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Paulus1 » 16 Sep 2006, 22:11

ThunderTitan wrote:Bah, the name change pales in comparison to the reduction of spells...
Weeding out some of the useless stuff is just fine IMO.
At least in H3 2/3 of the spells were hardly used at all.

I think the ratio of useful spells has increased in H5.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 Sep 2006, 22:28

Paulus1 wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:Bah, the name change pales in comparison to the reduction of spells...

And,of course,it doesnt matter that we had a fourth instalment of the game with 100+ spells,of which neither one was utterly useless(I was even beaten by the AI once because of the sacrifice 8| ).But it is common practice to neglect number for and go straight to 5 from 3.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Sep 2006, 22:32

Paulus1 wrote:

I'd prefer to have 100 useless spells as long as they didn't take out some of the usefull/cool ones.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Paulus1 » 16 Sep 2006, 22:45

DaemianLucifer wrote:And,of course,it doesnt matter that we had a fourth instalment of the game with 100+ spells,of which neither one was utterly useless(I was even beaten by the AI once because of the sacrifice 8| ).But it is common practice to neglect number for and go straight to 5 from 3.
I'm not ignoring HIV, it's just that I remember spells from H3 better.
And HIV didn't have 100+ unique spells - a whole lot of them were the same thing with a different name - in order to fit the same spell into two different spell classes.

That said, the spell system and number of spells in HIV worked for that game - especially you needed lot of spells in each class, because you had to know the magic school to learn lvl 1 and 2 spells.

Since you can learn lvl 1+2 from any school in H5, the game doesn't need as many low level spells in each school.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Sep 2006, 22:51

Paulus1 wrote: Since you can learn lvl 1+2 from any school in H5, the game doesn't need as many low level spells in each school.
But it could use high lvl ones. Desintegration is sorely missed. Cat Reflexes too. Some Wards would be nice. Etc.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 Sep 2006, 22:59

Paulus1 wrote: I'm not ignoring HIV, it's just that I remember spells from H3 better.
And HIV didn't have 100+ unique spells - a whole lot of them were the same thing with a different name - in order to fit the same spell into two different spell classes.
I didnt say unique I said useful.Big difference.
Paulus1 wrote: Since you can learn lvl 1+2 from any school in H5, the game doesn't need as many low level spells in each school.
And thats anther ad hing about HV:No pure might heroes.

Nebs
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nebs » 16 Sep 2006, 23:02

High requirements for nice play.

No direct tcp/ip mutliplayer support.

That's it for now.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”