After 3 patches, what is the verdict?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
difool
Peasant
Peasant

After 3 patches, what is the verdict?

Unread postby difool » 14 Sep 2006, 19:34

I've resisted buying the game up to now (partly because of other interests,
and partly because of my experience with buying H4 the day of release),
so what is the state of the game as currently patched? A worthy successor
of the Heroes name, or a disappointment, or something in between?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Sep 2006, 19:38

Seeing how opinions have been different about that from the getgo i wouldn't puit much trust into what ppl tell you. Better try to play the game before you decide.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Shuyssar
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Shuyssar » 14 Sep 2006, 19:49

It is a worthy successor of the Heroes name. ;)
All we need is a good RMG and more factions, and the game will be perfect.

Corelanis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Corelanis » 14 Sep 2006, 23:12

I agree with TT on trying it for yourself, however my opinion is that its decent but no match for heroes 3 as far as im concerned.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 15 Sep 2006, 00:22

We need some time to adjust to patch 1.3.

Personally I think we are in good shape. The game is running smoother than ever. We have a map editor which will fix the previous map shortage. The factions are interesting enough to provide plenty of strategy.

I haven't had any problems with bugs. So I'd give it a thumbs up.

Kilop
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Kilop » 15 Sep 2006, 00:33

all in all ... buy it :-D

AngelEyes
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby AngelEyes » 15 Sep 2006, 18:26

I think its a worth successor too. Especially after they add more factions and caravans, it'll be in good shape.

MAD_OLA
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MAD_OLA » 15 Sep 2006, 19:08

I just tried playing again after 2-3 months break and the first online game i play, the place units bug in battle occurs.
Seriously, haven't they fixed that yet? (combat doesn't start even tho both players has placed their units) It was THE reason I stopped playing cus it wasn't possible to finish a multiplayer game.

Toejam
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Toejam » 15 Sep 2006, 22:44

Let's put it this way; i never tought that They would make HV this good ;)
Yes there are probs and yes there are things that could be better, but overal HV is really worthy of the name Heroes of might & magic... when 3DO left i never tought to see an other decent Heroes game again, they have proved me wrong :)
Keep your friends close... And your enemy's closer !

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Sep 2006, 23:30

Better wait for HV complete to come out.This game still needs a lot of work to be done.Maybe the addons will correct some things.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 16 Sep 2006, 06:42

I haven’t played since the end of August (back at school and HV gives my poor laptop stomach aches), and I haven’t missed it. (In fact I just finished the Light side of MM7 again today. :D) But if you’re bound and determined to get it eventually, I’d recommend what DL said; wait for the Complete. It’ll probably be cheaper, and the bugs and balancing may have been worked out by then.

Cyrox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Cyrox » 16 Sep 2006, 07:24

Yea it feels like beta version of Heros V...they adjusting buildings costs here and there and stuff here and there...

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 16 Sep 2006, 08:40

I think that with the designers tempo of fixing things if you want it to be mostly bug-free you should wait at least a year. Maybe then the game will be properly tweaked...
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

ramparter
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ramparter » 16 Sep 2006, 10:03

Personally I'm waiting for a few more months to see how the game will be improved with the expansion pack - I think you should do the same.

LordErtz
Demon
Demon

Unread postby LordErtz » 16 Sep 2006, 15:14

:disagree: Not my cup of tea

Naskoni
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Naskoni » 16 Sep 2006, 16:32

Definitely wait more unless you cannot keep yourself from buying it right now. There are still plenty of problems and given the stubborn, slow and low-quality support (i.e. patching) you'd be better off to wait for at least another 3 months from now (I think more like 6 TBH).

As it is it is not strictly a bad game, but it is quite far from being a great one too. If you intend to play it primarily online then definitely wait for them to fix MP *properly* before you give them any money. For me the only thing clearly better than HoMM III for the time being is the graphics - overall the rest is not better gameplay-wise, not for me at least.

The best advice I can give you is no matter what try it out for yourself before buying it, irrespectively of whether you intend to do so soon or further into the future.
Last edited by Naskoni on 16 Sep 2006, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 16 Sep 2006, 16:32

I don't like it at all, but mostly from a design point of view (if I'd agreed with the overall design I'd be more forgiving of the bugs). Also the AI seems a topic of debate, some say it's good, some say it's dreadful (I've seen it act totally retarded, but also ok). If it's a good AI acting dumb under some circumstances or a dumb AI giving the shine of intelligence under favourable circumstances is anybodys guess.

So yeah, you should really try it for yourself before shelling out the money for it.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Sir Alock » 17 Sep 2006, 03:52

LordErtz wrote::disagree: Not my cup of tea
Lord Ertz: Let me ask you something...You have 300+ replies on this board & HoMMV is "not your cup of tea"? Then why are you even here? Bored? Also...Somene asked in another thread..."Will You Buy The Expansion" & your reply was..."I'll borrow it" Why borrow it if HoMMV isn't for you?

Maybe you're a kid & you can't afford it, or you're an adult & cheap. Either way...Piss Off! There is simply no reason for you to be here!

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 17 Sep 2006, 04:03

LordErtz is entitled to his own opinion, as is everyone on this board. He has just as much of a right to be here as you, so please be a bit more respectful.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 17 Sep 2006, 09:45

Sir Alock wrote: Lord Ertz: Let me ask you something...You have 300+ replies on this board & HoMMV is "not your cup of tea"? Then why are you even here? Bored?
Either way...Piss Off! There is simply no reason for you to be here!
Maybe he's here because of the other 4 games in the series.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “Heroes V-VI”