Questions from a HOMMV beginner...

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Jay
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Questions from a HOMMV beginner...

Unread postby Jay » 07 Sep 2006, 22:15

Okay, love the graphics, the 3D 360 degree angles, the sound, even the texture of the maps... but a few questions about the game from someone who just got a working version yesterday and who ALSO isn't familiar with patches too much so I dunno if I need to get them or not...

1) Why can I not pick my faction, starting hero, my flag color or anything other than my starting bonus in ANY of the single-player maps?

2) Why, when I was loading the game onto my computer, did it not even ASK for disc two? Is it important or is data3.cab not important to the game engine?

3) My first game was the "Island of one's own," of course where I had no choice but to be the necropolis chick; in the town interface, why could I not even manipulate the camera angle to see the dwelling from which I was recruiting skeletons? It seemed that there were a lot of structures I had but couldn't even locate...

I'm sure I'll think of more questions but for now that's it... opinions, assistance, anything would be beneficial here. I really want to like this game, and I know, just like IV, it'll take awhile to grow on me but as now it seems overly complicated and with several drawbacks and/ or incompletions in programming...

stijn
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby stijn » 07 Sep 2006, 22:34

1) you gotta check the box "show multiplayer maps" or smth like that for normal FFA maps.

2) i only got one dvd

3) recruiting creatures isn't done by clicking on the respective buildings like in homm3 (well it's possible, but not all that easy) you can just click on one of the thingy's on the right

LordErtz
Demon
Demon

Unread postby LordErtz » 07 Sep 2006, 22:50

disk 2 is only used if you're installing a foreign language or something like that.

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 08 Sep 2006, 00:45

during combat you can move the camera with arrow keys and pan it with mouse+right click. zoom in out with scroller ( i know you didnt ask but i didnt know some of it till i was told). in town screen, use right click to move around and zoom with scroller. im not sure if arrow key work with it.

sezerp
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby sezerp » 08 Sep 2006, 07:25

As for selection of starting factions:
In Single Player maps you can't do this, because those maps are kind of 'historical scenarios' in which you can play some events from history of Ashan. Not a bug but a feature.

What you can do thought: in scenario selection window there's small checkbox saying 'Show multiplayer maps' (or sth. similar - I'm using PL version, so I can't say for sure :) ) Yeah, I didn't notice this chackbox at first either... Anyway this allows you to (surprise) play MP maps in Single Player mode. Those one can play with any faction (s)he wants. Plus, IMHO they are much easier than SP scenarios.

And IMHO patch 1.1 is really worth installing.
I hope this helps

Jay
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jay » 10 Sep 2006, 14:32

Thanks for the tip, from someone who's new to this game and familiar only with HOMM II-IV, they help a lot, especially the tip about multiplayer maps. They are easier and give you time to learn the game without that annoying tutorial. Another question though, is there a way to click on an enemy and find out their stats without, y'know, attacking them and getting decimated? I don't have the "official" manual (only that rediculous little cliffs' notes version that came with the game) and I don't like not knowing whether or not my army (or lack thereof) even stands a chance against a given neutral army I see guarding resources...

Incidentally, anyone else experience serious game slowdown on the adventure map? I just got a new system with 1026 MB SDRAM and an AMD Athlon 3800+ processor. I find this annoying.

Jay
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jay » 10 Sep 2006, 14:34

Oh, forgot to ask, where can I a) find patch 1.1 (do I have to pay for this? I heard nigghtmare stories about the Boonty patch), and b) Where can I find the official guide? I can only assume it contains 20x the amount of information that this pocket dictionary does...

Cyrox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Cyrox » 10 Sep 2006, 14:42

(a) and (b):

viewtopic.php?t=19

You can find the links to the 1.1 and 1.2 patch and the official guide on the first post of this thread

and no the patches are all free

Jay
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jay » 10 Sep 2006, 16:44

Okay, patches are starting to work my nerves now. Does anyone know of any place OTHER than celestial heavens where I can find sites for downloading 1.1 or 1.2? Half the sites listed no longer have the patch, some of the others require me to register on sites I don't want to register on, some call it 1.01 which I'm suspicious of, and still others won't download it directly into my HOMMV folder which is what celestial heavens says it's supposed to do. This just seems like a lot of work for a $53 game that should already have this stuff in it...

Oh, and two hours on dial-up to download the manual? Seriously?

Cyrox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Cyrox » 10 Sep 2006, 16:52

Start -> Program files -> Ubisoft -> Heros Of Might And Magic V -> Check for Updates

I think this program automatically downloads the patches if u dont have but I havent used it before so Im not sure.

Yea and anyway the official manual is HUGE. 50.1 MB 8|

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Paulus1 » 10 Sep 2006, 20:32

Patch 1.1 was called 1.01 when downloading and installing - I don't know why though.

The autoupdater was introduced in patch 1.1, so you have to manually download and install that one at least.

When downloading the patch, be sure to download the right one. There are like 9 different versions of the game out there - US/European, Standard/limited edition/collectors etc.

And yes, the "official" manual is huge, but at least it also means, that it contains a lot of information - you would complain more if it wasn't informative, right?? :D

Mirrors for patch 1.1:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 041154/p/1
most requires registration, but Fileplanet or Boomtown are both quite ok.

Mirrors for patch 1.2 (choose the Ubisoft ftp site):
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums/a/frm/f/1851065692

Jay
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jay » 11 Sep 2006, 22:01

Aight, got 1.1 downloaded... fortunately, I had a bar to go to where I could watch the Colts game last night while it downloaded - 3 1/2 hours, jeez! Damn my backwoods county and their lack of DSL!!! In any case, it was worth the time spent... noticeable difference though some of the "corrected" on-screen pop-ups look somehow encoded...

Tried to download 1.2 from Ubisoft but for some reason the file wouldn't install after it was finished... kept getting an error message. No, it wasn't the Boonty patch but the one for retail CD/ DVD which is what I have. Should I expect the same from the links listed above if anyone knows?

Yeah I know, the manual will be worth it... though it better have stats for neutral and/ or foreign faction troops. Tired of Blade Dancers taking half my army before they die, grrrr.

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 11 Sep 2006, 22:08

like Cyrox said-

Start -> Program files -> Ubisoft -> Heros Of Might And Magic V -> Check for Updates

now that you have 1.1 if you do that it will automatically choose for you the right patch version for 1.2. it should work.

Jay
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jay » 11 Sep 2006, 23:03

I did that the first time, only there is no "Check For Updates" option in my version... just a list of links to UBISoft, Heroes.com and something else that didn't help much. I wound up downloading 1.1 directly from UBISoft and it works fine, just not 1.2...

Oh, nevermind... 1.1 installed the link for me... sorry, I'm usually not this much of a moron...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 12 Sep 2006, 01:13

All the major downloads can be found on the CH Downloads page.

If you're looking for smaller manual files, we provide an unofficial guide in different versions, ranging from 4.6 to 10.8 Mb in size. That should knock an hour or two off your download time. :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 12 Sep 2006, 01:40

oh, and just so we're clear, 1.01 was a patch for the people that downloaded an official copy of the game, to get it to the same place as the people who installed from cd/dvd .... at least that's what i remember
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Jay
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jay » 12 Sep 2006, 02:57

Okay, now that the patches are downloaded and I'm currently downloading the manual, can someone please answer one (obviously stupid) question; how in the bloody hell do you exchange troops between armies? I was in the "exchange" screen or whatever it is, and got so frustrated trying to give one of my heroes some extra familiars and all it would do is highlight them and tell me what they did... CHRIST this was the simplest of things to do in every other Heroes game!!!

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 12 Sep 2006, 03:18

are you trying to split a stack? cause if you are then you need to hold the shift key down while you are moving them
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Paulus1 » 12 Sep 2006, 08:08

Jay wrote:Okay, now that the patches are downloaded and I'm currently downloading the manual, can someone please answer one (obviously stupid) question; how in the bloody hell do you exchange troops between armies? I was in the "exchange" screen or whatever it is, and got so frustrated trying to give one of my heroes some extra familiars and all it would do is highlight them and tell me what they did... CHRIST this was the simplest of things to do in every other Heroes game!!!
Like in Heroes III your hero must have at least 1 stack of creatures.

If your hero has several stacks, you move them by drag-and-drop, the same way you do with files and folders in windows explorer.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Sep 2006, 20:39

Okay, love the graphics, the 3D 360 degree angles, the sound, even the texture of the maps...
And in 3 years you'll look back and wonder why you liked them.

And drag-and-drop should always be one of at least 2 ways to do stuff like exchangeing troops. This is happening less and less.... :disagree:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “Heroes V-VI”