HDTV

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules

Do you own an HDTV?

Yes.
11%
No, but I plan on upgrading soon.
17%
No, and I have no plans to get one anytime soon.
72%

Total votes: 18

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

HDTV

Unread postby Corribus » 31 Aug 2006, 04:34

I think I will soon buy an HDTV to replace my old tube. So I was wondering, does anyone else out there own one? If so, what kind (specific model) and size?

If there are any other A/V freaks there, I am also specifically interested in your opinion of 720p vs 1080p resolutions. There's obviously a substantial difference in price and I want to know if the 1080p sets are worth it for modestly large sets (say, 50 inches).
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 31 Aug 2006, 05:01

Bear in mind that to get HDTV you need an HD receiver and a source of HD programming. Widescreen is not necessarily HD. If all you care about is the wide screen, you might want to look at some rear projection models.

If you ever think you might connect your computer to the monitor, then get as many pixils as you can.

You may get a better deal with plasma, and the picture is sharper, but an LCD will last much longer.

I have a SONY 1024x1024 with a builtin HDTV tuner. However, I get DirecTV which has a very limited HD offering, so I don't pay extra for it. There is new broadband satellite technology that will soon allow hundreds of HD channels.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 31 Aug 2006, 05:04

Caradoc wrote:Bear in mind that to get HDTV you need an HD receiver and a source of HD programming.
Well, many now come with the receivers built in. But I see your point. The two models I'm looking at specifically are Samsung HL-S5086w and HL-S5087w. They are essentially identical exept the latter supports 1080p resolution (and it's about $700 US more expensive, of course). I'm basically trying to determine if that is worth the price to, as they say, "Future Proof" myself, for whatever that means...

Anyone know if the PS3 is still being planned to put out 1080p?
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Mithras
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mithras » 31 Aug 2006, 07:32

I would really like to buy one, but as we just bought a house other things are on top of our wishlist :(
It's only Rock 'n Roll (but I like it)
Proud bearer of the caladont-nerd plaque

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 31 Aug 2006, 09:38

Where's the "HDwhatnow?"-option? :)
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 31 Aug 2006, 11:09

No and I won't.

I'm feeling quite good about myself, actually - as the LCD/Plasma/HD craze started to spread, the prices of the good 'ol ordinary TVs dropped. Thus, I could get a Philips widescreen TV with super sound at a ridiculously low price.

What's the point? Well, I figure it'll last about 10 years or something like that. At which point the now very new/young technology of plasma etc. will have been perfected. Then I'll buy one of those.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 31 Aug 2006, 12:18

Why would I buy HDTV when I dont watch regular TV at all?

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 31 Aug 2006, 13:24

I don't have one, and I probably won't ever get one. I'm sure it looks great and all, but I'm cool with a regular color television..

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 31 Aug 2006, 13:52

Voted no and ain't planning on getting it. Too much trouble and I ain't got no money :D
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 31 Aug 2006, 13:59

Just out of curiosity - what's the status of HD broadcasts outside of the US? Are most channels still broadcast in SD (standard definition)? Actually, the major reason I'm buying a new set is because I am moving to another apartment, and my 40 inch tube weights over 300 pounds. I just don't feel like transporting it...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 31 Aug 2006, 14:19

Norway "will be getting it". Of course, the national broadcasting company has been saying that for three years now. The industry is currently selling TVs that are so-called "HD-ready", meaning they have HD capability, but there aren't any HD transmissions out there yet.

The thing I hear is that they will prepare to send some special programs in HD, starting with big sports events and such. Most likely though is it that foreign programs will start and we will take it down from the satellites; you know, American sports and movie channels and so on.

This is also one of the reasons why I didn't buy a more "sophisticated" TV when I bought mine; there isn't really that much to watch.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 31 Aug 2006, 16:42

You know, i just saw on CNN that Norway isthe richest country in the world. And they´re not really doing anything with the money. Weird.

And if HDTV is plasma then no 10x. The ones that actualy look as good as a normal tube tv cost an arm and a leg.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 31 Aug 2006, 17:42

ThunderTitan wrote:You know, i just saw on CNN that Norway isthe richest country in the world. And they´re not really doing anything with the money. Weird.

And if HDTV is plasma then no 10x. The ones that actualy look as good as a normal tube tv cost an arm and a leg.
HDTV is not restricted to plasma. And actually they've come down in price quite a bit because of advances in LCD technology for larger displays. You can get a nice 42 inch plasma for around 2000 US now.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 31 Aug 2006, 17:50

Sure, but if it's broke, you might as well get a new one; be cheaper than fixing it, I think... ;)

I'm glad I got my 32" 100Hz now, because the technology has been tried and perfected for decades, whereas the plasma tech is quite new and still suffers from childhood deseases. Also (in my view) the image quality isn't that much better, really. It'll come, I'm sure, so I'll buy one in ten years or something.

Yes, Norway is a rich country. Yes, people have quite a bit of money on their hands here now. So? Does that mean that the whole nation rallies around the cause to build HD transmissions right away? No. What is happening now is the adjustment between the market and the producers. Why make HD transmissions if hardly anybody have HD TVs? Why buy HD TVs when there are hardly any HD transmissions? You get the point. Customers are waiting a bit, and so is the industry. Both sides approach one another slowly.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 31 Aug 2006, 18:27

Corribus wrote: And actually they've come down in price quite a bit because of advances in LCD technology for larger displays. You can get a nice 42 inch plasma for around 2000 US now.
Right after i sell a lung or something.

But really, the ones that do look good (no graininess at all) start at about 2000 for the normal size. Ok, maybe 1000+. I can get a way better tubetv at that price. I´d actualy prefer a slim tube one (saw one at the local mall, better img quality then all the LCDs in its price range).
Last edited by ThunderTitan on 02 Sep 2006, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 31 Aug 2006, 19:05

@TT: are your fingers broken? :devious:
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Xenofex.XVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Xenofex.XVII » 31 Aug 2006, 19:19

I have a 19" screen Colour TV with mono sound. B-)

I also connected a DVD player to the TV and a radio/cd player to the DVD player(because has better sound speakers). They both belong to my parrents :devil: :devious:

I would upgrade to HDTV, but I have more nessary things to spend money on.
It is time to stop believing and start understanding. - Rael

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 31 Aug 2006, 19:23

@BE
Nope, working on a foreign laptop that has german fonts with IE. That was until mother finished her work on her work laptop, and now i'm back on Ff and english font.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 01 Sep 2006, 00:23

i voted no and not for sometime ....

im still running quite happily with my 80cm Sony, and my sweet surround sound setup .... we do get quite a bit of HD programming here in Oz, but i can wait awhile til i get a HD tuner and tv (although i'd love the panasonic 103" Plasms .... if only i had a spare $US30,000 - or it could be $US70,000 .... can't remember which it is)
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 02 Sep 2006, 10:19

ThunderTitan wrote:@BE
Nope, working on a foreign laptop that has german fonts with IE. That was until mother finished her work on her work laptop, and now i'm back on Ff and english font.
All I wanted was a yes or a no :devil:
- Dragon Age Origins

Return to “Campfire”