Heroes V Expansion Announced

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Aug 2006, 13:50

Grumpy Old Wizard wrote: If you take something that does not belong to you without the owner's consent you are a thief.
Or the goverment.

And Here:
The copyright infringement of software refers to several practices when done without the permission of the copyright holder:
*Creating a copy and selling it. This is the act most people refer to as software piracy.
*Creating a copy and giving it to someone else. This constitutes copyright infringement in most jurisdictions. In some countries, such as Israel, creating a copy is completely legal, as long as it was done from non-profit intentions.
*Creating a copy to serve as a backup. This is seen as a fundamental right of the software-buyer in some countries, e.g., Germany, Spain and Brazil.
*Renting the original software. Software licenses often try to restrict the usual right of a purchaser of a copyrighted work to let others borrow the work.
*Reselling the original software. Licenses often say that the buyer does not buy the software but instead pays for the right to use the software.
And some people might think that not sharing an unlimited resource that can be multiplied easily is wrong too.
One organization that campaigns against software copyright infringement refers to the practice as software theft. This would be seen as an inappropriate label by those who argue that the illegal copying of software is, and always has been, copyright infringement and that copyright theft implies that the legal copyright has been seized in some way.

Oh, and here's something about theft i found interesting:

Your definition of theft is wrong. The law sees copyright infringement as completely separate to theft. In some states it’s actually a tort, not a crime. Theft is wrongfully *taking* someone else’s property. That’s *take*, not “take into your possession”, which is a deliberately ambiguous phrase. When you steal something, you deprive the victim of it.

Copyright infringement violates an author’s exclusive rights over the reproduction of his/her work, whereas stealing is a violation of more fundamental laws of possession. Possession is a primal concept, one that even my dog understands. Copyright is a legal construct intended to provide an incentive to create.

And of course: http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
Last edited by ThunderTitan on 28 Aug 2006, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 28 Aug 2006, 14:07

Take the copyright infringement discussion elsewhere. You're OT.

As for the expansion, I strongly suggest you all avoid buying it until a) they finish the base game and b) you have some evidence that the expansion is finished as well. They might be more willing to listen if their revenues fall well short of expectations.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 28 Aug 2006, 14:27

so all sensible i can imagine that is left

1) stronghold

2) swampy town.

but at the dwarf town discussion thread there was talked about 2 other towns with strange names: Solari and Elistion.

Solari=fire town? cosmos town? FIRE ALIEN TOWN!

Eliston = probably orcs&goblins because more fans want them than swamp town(i still want swamp more!)
if they mix swamp and stronghold, ill get really mad.

am i wrong?

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 28 Aug 2006, 14:53

Only one town ? That's a bit... short.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 28 Aug 2006, 15:20

Kristo wrote:As for the expansion, I strongly suggest you all avoid buying it until a) they finish the base game and b) you have some evidence that the expansion is finished as well. They might be more willing to listen if their revenues fall well short of expectations.
^What Kristo said.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Aug 2006, 15:58

Kristo wrote: As for the expansion, I strongly suggest you all avoid buying it until a) they finish the base game and b) you have some evidence that the expansion is finished as well. They might be more willing to listen if their revenues fall well short of expectations.
Don't look at me, i only bought H5 because it came with HoMM Complete.

As for the winning towns, here they are:

Elistion:

http://forum.nival.com/rus/attachment.p ... 1141212062]

Creatures:
lvl1/upgraded:
Freeman/Free Guard

lvl2:
Thief/Shadow

lvl3:
Snow-White Eagle/Ice Eagle

lvl4:
Free Elven/Elven Hero

lvl5:
Magician/Master of Power

lvl6:
Orc/Orc's Hero

lvl7:
Dragon Raider/Legendary Hero
Solari:

http://forum.nival.com/rus/attachment.p ... 1145968098

Creatures: [original spelling]

Lvl1: [dwelling: Ministry of Plenty]
Halfling->Halfling Shiriff

Lvl2:
Minotaur Rebel->Minotaur Insurgent

Lvl3: [dwelling: Ministry of Love]
Contrite Succubus->Repentant Succubus

Lvl4: [dwelling: Ministry of Peace]
Vampire Elder->Demivampire

Lvl5:
Dragon Knight->Dragon Marshal

Lvl6: [dwelling: Ministry of Truth]
Blind Prophet->Blind Oracle

Lvl7:
Archom->Luminary
Glacier:

http://forum.nival.com/rus/attachment.p ... 1145976584

Creatures:
Lvl1:
Frost Spirit->Ice Spirit

Lvl2:
Battle Dwarf->Dwarf Veteran

Lvl3:
Dwarf Trailblazer->Dwarf Trapper

Lvl4:
Runetracer->Runnist

Lvl5:
Elder Giant->Giant Gatekeeper

Lvl6:
Chimera->Chimera Queen

Lvl7:
Ice Avatar->Crystal Avatar
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 28 Aug 2006, 16:06

I am still completely disgusted by those 3 "winners" and even more so that Nival actually may be using one as their units for the expansion.

Those three towns look like a retarded 5 yr. old came up with them. They make absolutely no sense with the combinations of creatures and some of the actual names are idiotic.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Aug 2006, 16:24

But how can you not love "Contrite Succubus->Repentant Succubus "?! :| It's so great.... :devious:

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 Aug 2006, 16:29

Be grateful they chose glacier over solari here :devil:

Eternor
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Eternor » 28 Aug 2006, 16:37

I suppose Freeman's special ability is called crowbar hit.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 28 Aug 2006, 16:40

Whatever new town they use will be fine so long as it doesn't have any dragons.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 28 Aug 2006, 16:49

The fact still remains that we may be getting idiotic units all because Nival refused to consider any submissions that weren't Russian.

I still contend that the many proposals I have seen here and the official Ubi forums blow away this Glacier crap. Even mine, which does contain a dragon of sorts (I called mine a Drake) would probably get way more votes than this one they may have chosen.

Nival makes me sick!

Falsted
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Falsted » 28 Aug 2006, 17:00

I know! they should make a town of ALL Dragons!

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 28 Aug 2006, 17:21

I was also hoping for two new factions in the new expansion, but I would rather have one new faction and no bugs or glitches and cool ideas than an expansion with two unfinished and buggy factions.

I was hoping for the barbarian faction as well, if anyone has a right, it's theirs to be in this game. I also find it strange that Ubi is basing the factions off of races instead of classes. Now they are Elves and Dwarves for factions which kind of generalizes the creatures you will find in each one, but the monsters used to be rather mixed in each faction, like during H2.

I also want a better looking Phoenix. :(
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Heroes V Expansion Announced

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Aug 2006, 17:30

@CloudRiderX

Agreed on all counts.

And if they make the dwarves Fire Dragon worshipers then they should get a powered-down Phoenix at lvl 7.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 28 Aug 2006, 18:33

why cant they make a new contest?

it really is crap what is there right now. the obvious expansion should be stronghold and swamp. NOT "rebel succubus" or whatever.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 Aug 2006, 18:47

There will be two expansions,and therell probably be another race in the second expansion(although,if you follow the rule of everything being like in HIII,the second expansion wont bring new race but artifact combos,and that one is good as well :D )

LordErtz
Demon
Demon

Unread postby LordErtz » 28 Aug 2006, 18:55

All that comes to my mind when I read about this new race is: You've got to be kidding, this has to be a joke.

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 28 Aug 2006, 19:30

Ok, Nival is retarted or they like retarted people. Elistion and Solari... I wonder what other races were suggested that these managed to be in top 3. At least Nival choosed best from the worst...

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 28 Aug 2006, 20:45

Who told that Nival ever saw those town proposals?! The contest was made by a Russian magazine and UBI is in France with their storywriters there. They have probably made timelines, lore and stories for all factions that come in expansion.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Return to “News”