Heroes V Expansion Announced

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 27 Aug 2006, 20:30

How can they release an expansion when the original still isnt finished yet?

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 27 Aug 2006, 22:01

I would prefer a good AI, snow and more map objects to make maps less boring, rather that addon

2Ryder:

Its simple, patches are free, while addons are not

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 27 Aug 2006, 23:50

Seeing dwarves as crafters or smiths, it would be normal understanding that their magic could be applied to craftmanship, about giving special abilities to weapons and items - rune magic.

Or not.^^ Anyway, map editor should be better for the eyes. The campaign is so boring. You get enough of each alignment after playing them. There's not even a flicker of curiosity about each of those after beating the campaign.

You just grow eager to play while you haven't finished a campaign. Because you want it to finish soon - you had enough of it.

I believe they could bring up some interesting features to make game less boring at all. Some new magic for new strategies, skills maybe. Dunno.

Oh, and if possible, depending less on mouse would be just the trick - that's a personal comment, of course. I can't bear using it too much. More shortcuts or a way to control somethings over the keyboard (numerical keys on the right to move or to position troops during battles).
Edited on Sun, Aug 27 2006, 17:55 by Panda Tar
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 28 Aug 2006, 00:02

And another thing (noooooooooo):

Some of the maps seem to have just 1 key to victory. If you don't act correctly at first, you're doomed. It seems that if you don't kill everything quickly, you'll lose the scenario. That's really irritating. No matter how strong you become, you'll never win after leaving computer get strong. At least, on the other versions, that would be possible after hard work. This one seems just impossible.

About AI: computer just knows where you are. That's really nasty. They could at least lose the track of you after you get out of their vision (which I mean, out of their exploration vision). Sometimes you're on your castle and there were no enemies in there since the beginning of the game, then you walk to the left a bit, and the enemy moves toward your town (imagining they are on the other side of the map). You return, then they stop coming. That's not fair. There must be a way to stop that omniscience.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

JessieLC
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby JessieLC » 28 Aug 2006, 00:08

Mistweaver.......I agree 100%,I would love to see this Wonderful Map Editor that has been ever so lightly tossed out as though giving a starving man a scrap of food! If I was Ubisoft & Nival, I would worry about getting the game we have out already fixed,by that I mean balanced AI,play bugs fixed not glossed over, things that were part of the Original Game Type back in the game-Town Types-Barbarians, Hero abilities,Characters that were promised but were removed or deleted Dragons that really have punch, ................over an Expansion Pack that many feel is money ill spent! Thanks for letting me vent!!!the forums I remember were a meeting place for all ages, old,young,male female........we would ***raise a pint*** and have fun discussing the game....agreeing to disagree at points so we could ***fight***, ah the old days!

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 28 Aug 2006, 00:24

while good news for an expansion, it is disappointing that we get one of those while still awaiting the map editor
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Heroes V Expansion Announced

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Aug 2006, 01:16

stefan.urlus wrote:while good news for an expansion, it is disappointing that we get one of those while still awaiting the map editor
Unless you having been paying attention you'd know that the editor will come with patch 1.3, and the beta version was already leaked to the web. Some people actualy claim to have tested it.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 28 Aug 2006, 05:29

I definitely will be getting a hacked version of the expansion. And every expansion released for homm5 thereafter. When they release all the features promised and start showing some half decent support will I even bother purchasing the expansion for such a rushed game.

That last comment from the nival staff frustrated me greatly.

I think gamers in general should learn to stand together and punish companies that release such shabby products and to top it off provide lackluster support for it. I may love heroes but I'd be willing to let it die for better games in the long run.

Cleanpea
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Cleanpea » 28 Aug 2006, 06:13

I will wait for the complete version, with all patches and fixes, forget about expansions before that. I can wait!

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 28 Aug 2006, 07:12

MrSteamTank wrote:I definitely will be getting a hacked version of the expansion. And every expansion released for homm5 thereafter. When they release all the features promised and start showing some half decent support will I even bother purchasing the expansion for such a rushed game.

That last comment from the nival staff frustrated me greatly.

I think gamers in general should learn to stand together and punish companies that release such shabby products and to top it off provide lackluster support for it. I may love heroes but I'd be willing to let it die for better games in the long run.
If patch 1.3 comes out this month that will average 1 patch per month. How is that not support? Ubi/Nival has supported this game more than most game companies support a game after release.

Theft is theft however you justify it. You are saying the game is crap but you want to steal the expansion. That does not even make sense.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 28 Aug 2006, 07:37

King Imp wrote:I was kinda hoping for two new factions in this first expansion ...
I have only seen claims like "the expansion will have dwarves", which does not equal to "the expansion will have ONLY dwarves as a new race".

Lord_Haart
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Lord_Haart » 28 Aug 2006, 08:11

I like the dwarves, and runic magic, but I'm also pretty sure that if there's a second faction there'll be orcs/goblins/stronghold. Look at the creatures in DMoMM. Even if they only have the dwarves in teh XP, Nival + Arkane have done an admirable job at building up the lore of Ashan.

reynaert
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby reynaert » 28 Aug 2006, 09:17

I doubt they'll introduce 2 new towns. Perhaps they'll revamp a town campaign-only, like having a dungeon with an alternative creature line-up. t'is not as intensive as opening up another new town, and developing skills for them, but just basing off the creatures of one town and making them slightly less evil or slightly more evil... Could be nice in campaign mode, like an extra treat for single players. Meh, just dreaming.

random map generator! that muy importante
I have probably offended you in this post. if you take it too harshly, it's your own responsability. I, for my part, never intended to.

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 28 Aug 2006, 09:33

Theft is theft however you justify it.
Contrary to popular belief, copyright infringement is not theft. These two are distinct entries in the criminal code, with different formulations and penalties.

Also contrary to popular belief (and to what organizations like the RIAA want you to believe), it isn't always a crime. Not only morally, but legally as well.

And also contrary to popular belief, in some cases, defined as fair use, copyright violation is completely legal.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 28 Aug 2006, 09:46

Sikon wrote:Also contrary to popular belief (and to what organizations like the RIAA want you to believe), it isn't always a crime. Not only morally, but legally as well.
The free dictionary wrote: in·fringe·ment:A violation, as of a law, regulation, or agreement; a breach.
Copyright infringement is per definition a crime. The act of using something that's under a copyright for some purpose or another might not be.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Cleanpea
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Cleanpea » 28 Aug 2006, 10:28

Buyer/consumer rights are somewhat twisted in the multimediabranch. When you buy a product, it should be yours, and that's it. Moral questions is rightly up to every individual, but it is not in gaming, because most consumers don't have a say in the deal. There is nothing strange in hacking software, it is actually an important counterweight to the oversized copyright-buisness that's going on.
Edited on Mon, Aug 28 2006, 04:34 by Cleanpea

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 28 Aug 2006, 10:32

"How can they release an expansion when the original still isnt finished yet?"

Ubisoft isn't the first one who releases expansion before the original is fixed. I know too many games that get patches for original tough the expansion was released long time before.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Aug 2006, 12:47

Pitsu wrote: I have only seen claims like "the expansion will have dwarves", which does not equal to "the expansion will have ONLY dwarves as a new race".
JJ said it will only have 1 new town.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 28 Aug 2006, 13:34

Sikon wrote:
Theft is theft however you justify it.
Contrary to popular belief, copyright infringement is not theft. These two are distinct entries in the criminal code, with different formulations and penalties.

Also contrary to popular belief (and to what organizations like the RIAA want you to believe), it isn't always a crime. Not only morally, but legally as well.

And also contrary to popular belief, in some cases, defined as fair use, copyright violation is completely legal.
People can try to tap dance around the law all they want to. If you take something that does not belong to you without the owner's consent you are a thief.

It reminds me of a certain American president and the meaning of is.
http://www.slate.com/id/1000162/

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 28 Aug 2006, 13:48

Hope it will not be like in Disciples II, where Elves had this useless (for other races) green mana...
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

Return to “News”