Nival Answers, Episode IV: A New Hope

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
LordErtz
Demon
Demon

Unread postby LordErtz » 25 Aug 2006, 03:33

Nicely put Sir Toejam...some people "settle" but most of us gamers won't ever do that.

Leprechaun

Unread postby karma » 25 Aug 2006, 04:24

"won't have time to support modders"

Is that necessary? Modders already created basic random map generator without any support from Nival (it is here, last post -http://forums.ag.ru/?board=heroes5&acti ... 1150358578). There is nothing to worry about. Lua gives almost limitless capabilities.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 25 Aug 2006, 05:47

karma .... that sounds promising, thanks for the heads up
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 25 Aug 2006, 06:08

uh, anybody translate from the russian?

I'm in charge of the mod section in CH, so if you see something there that's worthwhile, please ask the author if we can post it here, and then shoot me a head's up via PM.

thanks.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Aug 2006, 08:02

@Sir_Toejam
Indeed so.In fact,I dont understand why they didnt ask from the fans to do some work for them.They made the freaking town contest,got some great ideas,and did nothing with it(well,nothing except choosing the worst three to be winners).They have no time to do female models?Fine,put up a contest,choose the most talented 10 modelers and let them do that.If they dont want to do it for free,choose next 10.Im sure youd get it done in a week this way.And not just one female character,but youd at least get two for each race.Full 3D,completely animated both in battle and adventure map.

Rainalkar
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Rainalkar » 25 Aug 2006, 08:31

There are other changes too. Map editor is guaranteed, the HP stat of War Machines will become a function (probably of a blend of the level of the skill and the hero), therefore harder to destroy, Avenger will have the possibilty to chose neutrals as favorites...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Aug 2006, 08:48

Rainalkar wrote:the HP stat of War Machines will become a function (probably of a blend of the level of the skill and the hero), therefore harder to destroy
Is there some dangerous virus on the loose?What happened to nival?They suddenly decide to do a good job.Sooo not like them.There must be some catch there.

Cleanpea
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Cleanpea » 25 Aug 2006, 09:35

I'm sorry for whining about the whining, actually, I am still in the process of building a stronger computer(my old one won't run H5), and once I've played H5, I'm sure I will join the whining! But it will still be whining:)

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 25 Aug 2006, 14:05

I've completely loss my will to play HoMMV; hopefully patch 1.3 will restore some of my motivation back. So when is patch 1.3 coming out, anyway? :D

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 25 Aug 2006, 14:11

"umm where? my box says nothing like that at all."

Hmm, I got it confused with Dynamic Battle Mode, but they haven't completed that either so who gives a crap.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 25 Aug 2006, 18:14

Leaving theses forums for a couple of days because of school, what info do I get from Nival when I got back? They are just plain fucked up those guys, wouldnt surprise me if those guys goes on crack and get high while "improving" this ghayme, no.. shame..ah shit game was it.. Dont want to think about how their pets live.... 8|

:thinking:

Have stretched my patience for this game faaar to long, even school (I gonna regret that one day, well dosent matter now..) are more fun than waiting for them to complete their game called H5 "GOLD" which should be fun in the first place after the patches, but while they are ruining more after each patch, I dont wanna bother with those freaks promises anymore. Off to study maths....

DarkeN Q
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby DarkeN Q » 25 Aug 2006, 18:49

Ahem, excuse me, but what all the fuzz is about? This was not an official announcement , right? And if someone feels offended by the 'you could try to play without save/load' remark, don't forget that the message wasn't meant for THIS forum and THIS community. And maybe Old Boy really was serious (these crasy Russians...:-)). So please, stay cool.

Ah, yes, and there's another matter... Some people here have taken it so far as to suggest that the current Ubisoft/Nival course may just ruin the sales of upcoming M&M games. And my answer is, no it can't. Let me remind you that hardcore gamers don't make sale and. Ubisoft prefers casual audence, by the way. Supporting hardcore audience is Nival's way, not Ubisoft's, so we should be sort of grateful even for map editor with manual. Sorry, but the whole game industry isn't what it used to be anymore.

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 25 Aug 2006, 20:32

So, you are saying we should lower our expectations so that our objectives are already met? That's so pointless! There is no reason for a company to take over a game series, then release less material than the previous owner did and then have them expect the same sales and fan content!

I see what you are trying to say, but you can't say what Old Boy said 'wasn't meant for us'. This is the Internet! We know about things the instant they hit a web page. And it's not like Old Boy was talking to a different crowd, we are all HOMM fans, aren't we?

It would be different if Nival at least gave us reasons for what they are doing, and the things they are removing from the series. But instead, they just tell us new features are coming soon, and then they tell us suddenly that old must-have features are getting trashed.

I feel sorry for Nival if they support hardcore fans, because I am not hardcore and I am definitely not happy about where this is going! I like Heroes V, but the past ones were much better, but instead of making the game better with patches and expansions, they are making it different, if not worse.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 25 Aug 2006, 21:11

Don't worry, GOW. You keep making maps, I'll keep playing them. Yours are the kind I like best.

For my own maps, I'm not too worried about the ability to present massive quantities of text. I have moved away from that to a more interactive style where dialog replaces narration. I'm just praying for triggers.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 25 Aug 2006, 21:21

There is no reason for a company to take over a game series, then release less material than the previous owner did and then have them expect the same sales and fan content!
ahh, since we are waxing on the state of the industry, I might as well put out more angst too.

oh so many times have i heard the exact same thing as quoted above said on the Obsidian forums. and the Bioware forums about NWN2, all to no avail.

maybe a hundred posts or more to the same effect on both forums, and many of the major modding teams even discussing not even bothering with NWN2, and just sticking with the original.

*sigh*

unfortunately, it appears to be a case of too little money, too little time, and very poor decisions on the part of publishers usually (and developers sometimes) that is causing the ever downward spiral we are seeing in PC games as time goes by.

I do wonder if someday the industry will get a steady influx of new cash to revive itself, but it sure doesn't look good in the near future.

Maybe somebody has a good handle on where the money for development will come from say, 5 years down the line? It sure looks like most of the publishers and distributors are focusing their efforts on console games, but I have a specific perspective from being an insider, and maybe have missed something.

I do miss the plethora of good PC games that appeared regularly during the early and mid 90's. I find only 2 or 3 games a year that are worth even trying to play these days, and maybe one I would actually give an 8/10 or better to.

On the bright side, at least it allows me to catch up on my reading, or spend a little time helping out sites like CH.

cheers

oh, and still waiting for somebody to let me know if there are good mods on the russian site that would be good to mirror here on CH - thanks.

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 25 Aug 2006, 21:40

Did NWN2 really turn out that bad? That's a shame, because the first was very good. I was really looking forward to playing the second.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 25 Aug 2006, 21:42

whats NWN? New World Not-computing-anymore?
really, what is it.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Aug 2006, 21:46

Neverwinter nights.A great RPG game.You really never heard about it?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Nival Answers, Episode IV: A New Hope

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Aug 2006, 21:47

CloudRiderX wrote:Did NWN2 really turn out that bad?
As far as i know it's not out yet. But last i heard i won't ship with an editor and other stuff.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 25 Aug 2006, 21:51

DaemianLucifer wrote:Neverwinter nights.A great RPG game.You really never heard about it?
yes i know that game, its just those letters didnt remind me the game.

Return to “News”