Dark Messiah doesn't look too good...

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
TJcan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Dark Messiah doesn't look too good...

Unread postby TJcan » 31 Jan 2006, 12:17

The Might and Magic series has to end somewhere, and Dark Messiah will probably perish the series.

First of all, Source Engine by Valve is going to be over 3-4 years old by the release date, seeing that even Half-Life 2 was released 2 years ago.

Next, the game will not have SM 3.0 capabilities and it does not HDR as far as I know. Games that's going to be released this and next year are all slowing utilizing these technologies, so overall the game is quite outdated.

Then, there's the long time dilemma the MM developers faced over the years: If they make this game a true MM style game, it would take too long for new players to the MM series to learn everything and lose customers. If they indeed choose for a change and make this a RPG/FPS game, it would probably have better and more appealing game play, but it would be a enormous disappointment to the MM series fans. As of now from the gameplay videos, the game does look like another RPG/FPS game.

Lastly, since this is going to be a Action/Adventure game, as soon as single player gameplay ends, the online multiplayer experience is looking dismal: if you don't level up like a true RPG game, nor have guns and shoot the beep out of each other, what's the point of playing online?

That was just my opinion on the new game, but of course I could b wrong. In fact, I hope I'm wrong, Dark Messiah, surprise me.

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Re: Dark Messiah doesn't look too good...

Unread postby Suleman » 31 Jan 2006, 14:14

Puh-lease. Sorry, but I have to disagree. This is but one game, and a game based on an excellent engine as well. Compare that to, say, Legends, Warriors, Crusaders and so on... If they didn't destroy M&M, how could this one, which is clearly at least a decent one, do it? Besides, this isn't "Might and Magic", this is clealy a spin-off. We'll get M&M X eventually. (If the folks at Ubi aren't completely crazy.)

Don't be so pessimistic, y'all. It ain't the end of the world nor the M&M series.
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 31 Jan 2006, 14:24

I have yet to see a game that look as good as HL2. Sure some new games have more pixels and stuff, but not one of them look as real as HL2. Source is a great engine.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 31 Jan 2006, 15:47

First, this to me appears to be more of a spinoff of MM, and so I don't see it really affecting the core role-playing series at all. If you're interested in how this game affects the Might and Magic title, I suggest you read the article I wrote on it not too long ago for CH. I couldn't find it linked to from the main page, though, so here's the link:

http://www.celestialheavens.com/viewpage.php?id=432
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

TJcan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TJcan » 31 Jan 2006, 18:39

I guess you guys are right, but I wish Dark Messiah and Heroes V would just come out soon...

Btw, do you guys know the release dates for Dark Messiah and Heroes V?

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 31 Jan 2006, 18:49

TJcan wrote:I guess you guys are right, but I wish [...] Heroes V would just come out soon...
I can safely say that you're very much in the minority with that wish ;)
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 31 Jan 2006, 18:59

TJcan wrote:Btw, do you guys know the release dates for Dark Messiah and Heroes V?
Heroes V has just been delayed until Q2. Dark Messiah is scheduled for a Summer release. That's about all we got.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Lord_Haart
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Lord_Haart » 02 Feb 2006, 04:52

Summer is like July, right?

I reckon this has potential - there are very, VERY, few true fantasy FPS's out there, most resort to guns. So fantasy purists and FPS'ers alike will find something new in this. The Source engine is indeed impressive, and the fact that this will focus more on hand-to hand combat, unlike almost every other FPS (which focus on ranged combat ie targetting skills), means that it will reach relatively empty market sectors.

I see this as a good complement to the HoMM/MM series, that will draw more people into the series as a whole.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 02 Feb 2006, 04:54

Lord_Haart wrote:I see this as a good complement to the HoMM/MM series, that will draw more people into the series as a whole.
Which is why they probably made it before Might and Magic X.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 02 Feb 2006, 15:37

Or Might and Magic Online. I think that game would have the potential to destroy what's remaining of my life.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 11 Feb 2006, 06:22

Angelspit wrote:Or Might and Magic Online. I think that game would have the potential to destroy what's remaining of my life.
:lolu:

It's funny coz it's true.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 16 Feb 2006, 23:44

Angelspit wrote:Or Might and Magic Online. I think that game would have the potential to destroy what's remaining of my life.
MnM on-line??Is any real rumor for such a game? I hope not, I will destroy my life with that...damn mmorpgs, so adictive!
* Imagine myself chating with my friends under the blues sky of Erathia as the griffins fly upon us proud and free *
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

LordHoborgXVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LordHoborgXVII » 17 Feb 2006, 22:26

It's a game being developed in China, and will only be available in China, and unless I'm mistaken it's called Heroes of Might and Magic Online (though I could be wrong). They released a great deal of concept art last year, and apparently have a website, but the game isn't likely to progress anyhwere anytime soon.

Rapier
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Rapier » 06 May 2006, 23:15

I like that Dark Messiah isn't pretending to be the next M&M game, it isn't billed or reffered to as M&M10, it won't be the best RPG, because it's not billed as being soley and RPG.

It shouldn't be able to disappoint you (in the way Heroes 5 might) because you shouldn't have expectations. I personally think it's shaping up to be a very good looking game. However it'll have to have a good story as well if I'm going to play it becuase I don't care for FPS all that much and I agree that this game doesn't look like the multiplayer wil be that engaging.

I would however buy two copies if it comes with the capacity for two players to play the story together. A feature which FPS's have missed so far when making decent stories and multiplayer in the same game.
~ Rapier.

george137
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby george137 » 09 Jun 2006, 17:12

I was a little concerned about this game in the begining but after I saw an Xplay preview of it (they nonimated it best PC game at E3) I was really happy with what I saw.

Lord_Haart
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Lord_Haart » 09 Jun 2006, 17:36

Yeah... I've been incredibly suprised by what Ubisoft has done with the title - while the 2 games (H5 and DMoMM) clearly owe much of their success to their developers, they've also evidently been well-marketed, to get #1 PC game at E3 (means DMoMM got lots of coverage) and for H5 to be 3rd top selling in the US despite the fact that it's never been a "mainstream" game. Hell, it's selling better than any RTS's at the moment - looks like the rush of daily life has led to people enjoying games that give them time to think.

Marine OKeefe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Marine OKeefe » 09 Aug 2006, 05:07

I played the Demo and the game DOES look like crap, no HDR and it looks worse then HL2
"Praised be Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour"
"Semper Fidelis - Always Faithful"

Lord_Haart
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Lord_Haart » 09 Aug 2006, 07:46

I completely disagree. I'm an OBlivion fan myself, and I found the games to be equally good looking - remember, there's no video options for DM at this stage, I'm sure you can pump that sort of stuff way up in the retail version.

My PC (2.4GHz P4, Radeon X800Pro, 1GB 400Hz RAM) handled it almost Seamlessly - load times were a little long, but not too bad.

Killing things is fun, no matter how many times you do it. I kinda wussed out and resorted to kicking the orcs off the ledge, but one time two of them came at me and when I kicked one, he knocked the other one (who was just behind him) off the ledge, but stayed on the edge himself - I jumped down and impaled him. Incredibly satiating. :devil:

I love this game already - and it's just a matter of time before someone with the ability starts "opening up" the demo to squeeze out as much content as possible.

It sets a great atmosphere and is really immersive. The characters more realistically and the physics works great. (only problem is when you pick up crates, they teleport into your hands - and you can throw them insane distances).

Vaenlor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vaenlor » 09 Aug 2006, 07:52

Hey, my first post. I'm afraid it's a negative one.

Graphically, the demo was 'okay' nothing special.

The thing that got me was the amount of skills/spells etc, I'm hoping this will be improved dramatically by the game release, otherwise, it may be a very limited game. The lack of mana regeneration was a big interest killer for me as well.

I found the demo boring, I can't see myself paying £29.99 for the full game.

Fingers crossed things will improve.

Lord_Haart
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Lord_Haart » 09 Aug 2006, 08:04

I'm sure everything (espeically skills/spells) will be far more extensive in the retail version, since not all of the skills we've heard of were in the demo (poison arrows etc).

I personally wouldn't get this game just for SP - you'd need to be interested in MP as well (even just more relaxed games with friends) to justify buying this given that the SP campaign is so short (15-20 hours??? Come on). But I've been waiting for a fantasy online FPS for YEARS... and with Project Offset still years (probably) away, this looks like a pretty good reprieve.

Return to “Might and Magic”