English

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Friend_of_Gunnar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

English

Unread postby Friend_of_Gunnar » 06 Jan 2006, 19:03

Someone recently made a post where they had a link to a site where you could mark the location of where you live. Lo! America is beat by both Europe and China. I realize that English is such an international language now. My own English is wild and furry, it is full of slang and idioms, creativity and twists. So in tribute to the new boards and for better communication to all I will now speak in Eastern European English, which I think is the new standard for the Heroes of Might and Magic community. (Don't ask me what the difference is between the Englishes is, I just know it)

lordskeleton
Pixie
Pixie
Location: Sweden (You know, polar bears, close to switzerland)

Unread postby lordskeleton » 06 Jan 2006, 23:52

Is it different from the western european english besides accent (which isn't really noted in the written language anyway)?
"Every enemy I've met I've annihilated!"
"Ehm.. Oh yeah?... well... eh... You fight like a cow!"

Friend_of_Gunnar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Friend_of_Gunnar » 07 Jan 2006, 05:28

Yes I think so but it is difficult to say the difference of the two. Many times when an Eastern European is writing a post I hear a combination of words that is different to my sense of language. When I first came to the boards it was interesting to hear the messages but also to hear how the message was written. To be specific I would have to do an analysis, so give me some time and then I will respond.

Also, I live in an American city where people of every country on earth come to visit (and then they stay, and then they open a restaurant and give their money to their kids to be doctors). So in my past I have had to speak Chinenglish, Japanenglish, Amharaenglish, and other englishes you wouldn't believe.

lordskeleton
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby lordskeleton » 07 Jan 2006, 11:11

Bet you haven't tried swenglish. It WILL make you throw up
(on a regular basis). Still, that's mostly a sign of inadequate
teaching (or none at all)

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 07 Jan 2006, 13:31

I'm from Romania and I've got my basic knowledge of English from watching Cartoon Network when I was a kid. After that I started studying it at school and got better.

Now I guess my writing is good enough, but when it comes to speaking, I surprise myself sometimes :)! My accent is... hmm... probably 50% British, 35% American and 15% Romanian, fluctuating constantly ;). And sometimes I get this peculiar urge to try the Australian accent :) .
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 07 Jan 2006, 14:47

lordskeleton wrote:Is it different from the western european english besides accent (which isn't really noted in the written language anyway)?
Oye. What's dat y'say? You kent tell an accent over da web?

Righteo.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 07 Jan 2006, 18:18

What kind of accent was that??
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

lordskeleton
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby lordskeleton » 07 Jan 2006, 23:32

It's dem hamburger n' fries'ccent

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 10 Jan 2006, 00:54

Actually, its kind of fun to deal with lots of Europeans. Brits have their own set of slang and what not. We Americans tend to forget that WE are the ones who do it 'wrong'.

Normally, when I'm on an international board like this one, I tend to get singled out as the person to ask to explain US slang terms. Don't know why, but I just enjoy doing it.

The only one that ever gave me trouble was trying to explain that a hound dog "Bays" to an Italian. That was DIFFICULT. I don't think he ever quite understood what I was getting at. Dogs Bark. Wolves Howl. A hunting Dogs BAY with an 'Ahrrrroooooo' sound. Somewhere along the explination, I found that he didn't know what a "Blood Hound" was either. :S

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 11 Jan 2006, 05:02

The US is also made up of tons of different accents itself because of migration, settling, ancestry. immigration, and Native American heritages...

Put a native from Boston, Minnesota (or the Dakotas), Carolina, Texas, and Pittsburgh in the same room and they won't be able to understand each other. Start mixing in some (Ala-F**king) Bama, Nawlins (New Orleans), (New) Jersey, and anyone from either New Mexico or Utah and you'll realize just how many countries are inside these United States.

So Europe's not too different. Older buildings. Different football. But other than that... pretty much the same.

Well there are some differences here. We use cars to go back and forth from place to place and we talk to each other on "telephones" but I'm sure the rest of the world has elephants and camels and kangaroos and we really don't have too many of those around.

I'm sure one day we'll be able to communicate in some way. We can only hope. ;)

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 11 Jan 2006, 12:14

*stiff-upper-lip Oxford accent* I, on the other hand, speak perfect English - the way it should be spoken.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 11 Jan 2006, 13:33

I wouldn't know. I never did get either you OR Ethric to send me a wave file of what a Norse Accent sounds like. I'm still over here thinking the two of you sound like the Swedish Cheif from the Muppets.

Hey! Kalah, weren't you supposed to be sending me a large file for Christmas? I never got it.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Jan 2006, 18:36

ScarlettP wrote: Normally, when I'm on an international board like this one, I tend to get singled out as the person to ask to explain US slang terms. Don't know why, but I just enjoy doing it.
Isn't that what American Movies/Music Videos are for? For shizzle... or whatnot!

Talking about english: http://www.stephaniemiller.com/declarat ... cation.htm
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Robenhagen
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Robenhagen » 11 Jan 2006, 18:49

ThunderTitan wrote: Talking about english: http://www.stephaniemiller.com/declarat ... cation.htm
That is just about the funniest thing I've read this year Image
I was lookin’ back to see if you were lookin’ back at me to see me lookin’ back at you.

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 11 Jan 2006, 18:52

Hmm, that gave me a few ideas on how to extend the length of the papers I'm gonna have to write this semester...
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 11 Jan 2006, 19:50

ThunderTitan wrote: Talking about english: http://www.stephaniemiller.com/declarat ... cation.htm
Me rikey this vely much :devil:

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 11 Jan 2006, 20:08

I've read it before, but it's still as fun.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 11 Jan 2006, 22:55

English is essentially French converted to 7-bit ASCII. --Christophe Pierret

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 18 Jan 2006, 05:41

What is this Belgium they refer to?

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 19 Jan 2006, 03:02

ThunderTitan wrote:Talking about english: http://www.stephaniemiller.com/declarat ... cation.htm
Heh heh, very funny.

I've always thought it weird that the US messes around with the language, and then expects everyone to know it and accept it...shows how big our heads are I guess. And all our goofy expressions..."beat the bushes" and "hit the road"...and "f'shizzle" especially, agh.

Return to “Campfire”