Why is no one OUTRAGED with the artifact situation?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
anonymous

Why is no one OUTRAGED with the artifact situation?

Unread postby anonymous » 08 Aug 2006, 16:35

I suppose this is my personal opinion, but I think the atrifact system is one of the weakest aspects of the game, and I thought it was a glaringly obvious problem. The first and most noticable problem is that we dont have the 4 trinket slots, which SEVERELY limits which artifacts I carry. Next is a smaller complaint, the fact that we dont have that neat little picture of the hero with the artifacts on him, Ive seen the mod to correct (and I use the word correct because it was a problem) this but I havent gotten around to downloading it yet. Finally there just arnt many artifacts, I think Ive already seen them all, and talk about boring, do you know how many 4 leaf clovers Ive picked up? I dont think Ive seen a really powerful artifact yet, I mean I crap my self when I find it its so powerful. I guess while Im here its worth mentioning combination atrifacts. I know they may be overpowered, but theres nothing more gratifying than playing an extra large map hotseat with some friends then gettin an uber-powerful combination artifact and laying waste to all of your oponents. I think maybe an option to turn them on or off would be nice. I just find it odd that the necromancer campaign is bascially putting together a combination artifact while they arnt even in the game (probaly because they arnt enough artifacts to support combinations) Anyways, I think this is one of the biggest flaqws in the game and I hope Im not alone.

omegaweix
Scout
Scout

Unread postby omegaweix » 08 Aug 2006, 17:38

Though i agree that there are very few artifacts (i know the "5 clovers of luck scenario in the inventory" very well) and the amount should be increased visibly not later than the first expansion, IMHO there are far more important issues to get fixed first ( bug corrections, map editor, ATB bar revision).... so i'm a a little p***ed but not outraged.
plastic people

silicone

never let them in your home

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 08 Aug 2006, 19:14

I made a thread about this very situation some time ago.

We know there are not enough artifacts. My problem was that you would get multiples of the same artifact several times in one map...I suggested some way of capping that, and more artifacts would help.

I am not in favor of combo artifacts...for example in Heroes II if you combined three artifacts all of a sudden you would have town portal and major stat bonuses to three primary stats. Unbalancing.

One thing I miss from heroes II is having to fight for artifacts. In HII the guardian fights didn't scale with the week so it wasn't challenging after a couple of weeks, but it sure makes you think at first. Or having resource requirements to get an artifact...

If there were more slots that would lessen the 'strategy' of having to pick which bonuses you want.

Finally I have a question...if I have the ring of speed and the ring of celerity do both work? Or am I only getting the 20%?

LordErtz
Demon
Demon

Unread postby LordErtz » 08 Aug 2006, 19:31

I also made a thread about this situation. There definitely aren't enough artifacts. On top of that, the artifacts that do exist suck major balls. Who needs + luck when you have the skill and 5 map modifiers for luck. Why not unique artifacts that do more than +primary or +50% this or 50% that. LAAAAAAAAME.

Ask me to suggest a solution? I don't even care if they import artifacts from 3...because there were a bajillion and they were all awesome. I've seen up to 3 of the same artifacts on the same map in HOMM V

Warlock
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warlock » 08 Aug 2006, 20:01

LordErtz wrote:I also made a thread about this situation. There definitely aren't enough artifacts. On top of that, the artifacts that do exist suck major balls. Who needs + luck when you have the skill and 5 map modifiers for luck. Why not unique artifacts that do more than +primary or +50% this or 50% that. LAAAAAAAAME.

Ask me to suggest a solution? I don't even care if they import artifacts from 3...because there were a bajillion and they were all awesome. I've seen up to 3 of the same artifacts on the same map in HOMM V
+luck is great, especially as a starting random artifact (i.e. clover). That's actually one of the better ones you can get.

GrowlingDog
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby GrowlingDog » 08 Aug 2006, 20:16

I totally agree with you "anonymous" and i urge you to fill in my poll. Artifacts are just not an enjoyable part of the game now and they most certainly were for me in the past. How Ubisoft could not see this is truly astounding. Also, is it just my games or do the leg and feet items seem overstocked and head items seem lite on. Come on Ubisoft, these things should be "no brainers" get your %$& together. (bloody French, heheheehe)

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 08 Aug 2006, 20:50

GrowlingDog wrote:I totally agree with you "anonymous" and i urge you to fill in my poll. Artifacts are just not an enjoyable part of the game now and they most certainly were for me in the past. How Ubisoft could not see this is truly astounding. Also, is it just my games or do the leg and feet items seem overstocked and head items seem lite on. Come on Ubisoft, these things should be "no brainers" get your %$& together. (bloody French, heheheehe)
They wanted to make artifacts more rare and unique.What they failed to realise is that it depends on the map wheter a certan artifact is rare and unique,not on their total number.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 08 Aug 2006, 23:38

Finally I have a question...if I have the ring of speed and the ring of celerity do both work? Or am I only getting the 20%?
hmm, well you should be able to tell from the character details. put on one ring, look at a stack with high intiative and see how much it changes, then put on the other ring.

stacks with initially low initiative values might not show a change of 10% visibly in the detail sheet, so pick one that has high init, like blood maidens or similar.

I haven't paid much attention, but I would suspect since other artifact abilities stack, these ones do too.

anonymous

Unread postby anonymous » 09 Aug 2006, 00:06

I realize that combination artifacts are unbalanced, thats why Id like an option to turn the on or off, but sometimes Im just in the mood to be overpowered. And I agree, that there are more important issues than artifacts, but I still consider them an integral part of the experince.

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 09 Aug 2006, 00:45

Actually I'm all for combo artifacts but I think that the game and map editor should default to "no combos allowed".

Combos should only be possible when a map maker specifically puts in the various pieces for the combo by hand.

Basically it's a great feature when handled with care and a terrible one to be left up to blind chance.

As for the number of artifacts I agree that there aren't enough unique artifacts around. Increasing the number of useful and distinct artifacts would be nice.

GrowlingDog
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby GrowlingDog » 09 Aug 2006, 01:13

Plus considering the "Heroes" series started because of "Might and Magic", why not bring in some, if not all of the artifacts that were used in THAT game. "Of the Gods" was always a great artifact to pick up with a +10 to all stats. Of course all the numbers were on a different scale then...... Heeyyy, why arent the stats the same as in the Might and Magic ser....

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 09 Aug 2006, 04:22

DaemianLucifer wrote: They wanted to make artifacts more rare and unique.

Aside from the Initiative changing artifacts, there really isn't anything rare or unique about the others. It's the same stuff we saw in the other games.

We always hear that "quality over quantity" excuse when dealing with the artifacts, spells, and units. Well, they chose not to give us quantity, but unfortunately they really didn't give us quality either.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 09 Aug 2006, 04:43

While I hope to see more artifacts in future expansions/patches, there are some nice ones in the game and I am certainly not outraged.

We have some very grumpy forum members methinks.:)

Combo artifacts would be nice, but I'm not so sure about faction specific artifacts unless they must be specifically placed by the mapmaker.

GOW

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 09 Aug 2006, 07:42

I do not like the UI (not for arties or anything else), and I admit that there could be some more artifacts, in general I would say the artifact situation in general is better than in Heroes III. H3 had IMO more useless stuff and due to different hero development the artifact bonuses were less noticable there.

djtc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby djtc » 09 Aug 2006, 09:59

I agree that there should be more artifacts, but until then (cause balance may take some time) the ones given should be powered up. There aren't really awesome ones that make you rub your hands like in previous Heroes. (Maybe not god-like items as in WOG, but still a few overpowered artifacts would give some more charm to the game.)

And also, I noticed that in HV artifacts aren't well suited to troops defending them... it was just frustrating to fight level7 troops to get a +2 morale or something like that.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 09 Aug 2006, 11:16

djtc wrote: And also, I noticed that in HV artifacts aren't well suited to troops defending them... it was just frustrating to fight level7 troops to get a +2 morale or something like that.
Or,700 wights for a ring of life that you already found on the very begining of the map :devious:

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 09 Aug 2006, 15:52

we deffinetly need more artifacts, but not in any rush. it can wait for an expansion or something. i deffinetly know about the :not enough artifacts" thing (one map i had 6 ice shields and 4 evercold icicles, and it was still month 1!). combination artifacts would be great, but i agree that the mapmaker should decide to put them on or off, with off as default. someone should make a poll about this.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 09 Aug 2006, 17:26

But how should combined artifacts work this time? Be able to have several combo artifacts on different slots on the hero at same time, or as the old H3 with possible on combo artifact at a time?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 09 Aug 2006, 17:53

How about artifacts can be combined like in HIII making one uber artifactc possesing all of their benefits,but also something new and cool,but with a new twist that some artifacts can be featured in multiple combos.A simple example would be frost shield+sword of might gives your creatures 10% damage reduction and 10% damage bonus,while frost shield+evercold icicle gives you negate cold immunities and 100% damage for cold spells.

Lady Farquad
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Lady Farquad » 09 Aug 2006, 20:41

:devious: Definitely agree
Morior, ergo sum

Return to “Heroes V-VI”