Guys, give UBI a breath...

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
GrowlingDog
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby GrowlingDog » 06 Aug 2006, 20:49

Well its off topic but have you ever driven a communist Russia car? Aaaargh. Capitilism doesnt produce bad quality products, a business's priorities does. This is why we have fast food and fine dining, prestige cars and economy cars. Why should capitilism take the blame for a business deciding that posting a good 1/4 figure is more important than getting a 10-?% more buyers and fans. Sadly a trend in business today is to look no further than your laptop and the immediate bottom line.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 06 Aug 2006, 21:22

You seem to have some pre-disposition about these matters, which might be why my simple words seem to be upsetting you so much. There was no mention of communism in my post, and it would be better if you gave examples that reflect reality, rather than theory.

I have many thoughts on the subject, but political matters are usually shunned at these forums, so I dare not reply. All the more so, considering that this thread is starting have the opposite effect of what it was intended to do. Kalah, you should have closed this thread when you had the chance earlier.

GrowlingDog
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby GrowlingDog » 06 Aug 2006, 21:52

mr hackcrag, What the????? I'm not getting upset by your simple words, i'm just confused. You mentioned capitilism, not me, i made a COMPARISON with a communist built car compared to a capitilist built car. Is it now taboo to even comment on any from of governing except capitilism. Unbelievable, I dont know what perceptions or ideals you have but ease up on what looks like a self imposed guilt trip. Oh and if anyone IS upset or offended by me mentioning communism (oooh) and the quality of Russian cars, i think you may be getting offended for what you THINK others are getting offended by. Reality: the Lada is a crap car and thats not just a non-Russians point of view. I do have friends living in and from Russia, if any said they were upset or offeneded by what i wrote here, i'd just laugh at them, seriously. hackcrag, please read my post again and tell me what indicates to you that i am SO upset. Pvt msg me if you want. Ok, now i'm not upset, i'm just, What the hell????????

Dread Wolf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dread Wolf » 06 Aug 2006, 22:55

My experience with H-V has been this:

Saw the game in the store, remembered how much I enjoyed H-IV, made sure my system could run it, and bought it ... made the wife drive home so I could start reading the manul ... hmmm not much of a manual, but hey, I played IV a lot long ago, I should remember what to do. Skimmed the manual and as soon as we got home, started installing.

As soon as the game installed, grabbed some iced tea, sat down at the PC, my 10 year old in a chair on my left, my 4 year old in a chair on my right, all waiting to see "Daddy's new game".

Watched the opening .. not bad ... decent ... I like this ...

Got to the menu screen ... kewl .... checked all the menus .. hmmm no editor ... damn .... oh well, someone will "hack a mod", so okay, let's get going ... Single Player / Normal ... (no patches yet, wanted to get started ... )

Campaign ... kewl, I like this ... the stupid, don't make any sense jestures are a bit annoying, but hey ... I can't like everything ......

OOooOOOO The 3D Graphics ... my 10 year old wants to play .... told her if I can find my old H-IV, I'd load it on her PC and let her play that ... the 4 year old likes everything ...

Campaign going well ... rut roh ... can't win ... (forgot what senerio) time to hit Celestial Heavens for some help with a walkthrough ... got it ...

Okay ... continuing on, (damn this game is awesome, I like! ) .... rut roh ... another can't win ... time to hit CH again ... ah ha! need a patch ... download the patch ... Yes!!!! I can win ... hot damn, this is awesome, set the game to Easy ...

Almost there ... the Ranger Campaign ... The Refuges ... lost, tyry again ... lost .... hmmm, try again, lost ... time to check CH again ... see a thread about The Refuges in the forums, Oh ... problem with Easy mode, register, since I've been here so much, make a post with what I'm experiencing ... and head back to try Normal Mode .... Get my behind handed to me by Biara okay, this now officially sucks ....

Make a second post on my utter disgust for what's going on, and start browsing the forums ... hopeful that someday, the balance of the game will be fixed, and an editor will be released ....

Hanging in there hopeful ....... making my 3rd post ...

What I like about the game ...

The graphics
The creatures
The feats, skills, perks, etc ....
Items are kewl ...

What I don't like ...
Game level balance (In my opinion)
Lack of modifications you can make on the custom maps (can't chose starting anything except what bonus you get ...
No editor released with the game ....

About the bugs ..

What I expect ...

No developer can take into consideration every posible hardware configuration there is in the world, and it's amazing how much hardware can effect software ...

What I don't expect ...

That it is imposible to complete the game at the default level when it comes out because of balance issues ....

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 06 Aug 2006, 23:22

GD, this isn't really about which economic model is right. My only concern was that this thread not spiral into unrelated and unproductive debate, as it most certainly would have if I escalated it. So, we should just end it here. In retrospect, I really shouldn't have said anything about it in the first place. I didn't expect it would be taken so seriously. I'm very sorry about the confusion. And believe me, it takes a LOT to offend me, so you don't have to worry about that either; say what you will. If you want to talk about the issue, you should start a thread in the "campfire" section. But I warn you, sometimes moderators don't really like to deal with these kinds of issues, so the thread might not last long.

P.S. Dread Wolf, your story sounds really nice. It must be great to play homm with your children. Maybe you should check the walktrough section if you need help. The A.I. does cheat like crazy. They should call it artificial cheating.

Dread Wolf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dread Wolf » 06 Aug 2006, 23:50

mr.hackcrag wrote:P.S. Dread Wolf, your story sounds really nice. It must be great to play homm with your children. Maybe you should check the walktrough section if you need help. The A.I. does cheat like crazy. They should call it artificial cheating.
I pretty much did do the walkthrough as well as I could ... that didn't seem to help ....

A little later, after I cool down and do some other things around the house, and a little job preperation, I will go back and be repeatedly annoyed until I finally, through absolute luck, *might* win that game ....

Or give up and starting digging for my H-4 and install it, and keep checking here for new info on 5 ...

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 07 Aug 2006, 00:07

Dread Wolf wrote:

A little later, after I cool down and do some other things around the house, and a little job preperation, I will go back and be repeatedly annoyed until I finally, through absolute luck, *might* win that game ....

Or give up and starting digging for my H-4 and install it, and keep checking here for new info on 5 ...
Lol, yeah that's pretty much what I do too; stick with the classic h3 for me. It's much less strenuous, and far more enjoyable. Best of luck.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 07 Aug 2006, 19:12

mr.hackcrag wrote:
GrowlingDog wrote:Ethric wrote:
I for one hold that unless we're talking about force majeure (and that is as far as I know not the case), whatever excuses made does not release ubi\nival from their responsibility to their customers for any lack of quality in their product.

Totally agree, Nuff said (thankyou Stan Lee)
This statement totally contradicts your last post.

And Caradoc, why did you say that the list of reasons that h5 has so many bugs would surprise us? All of the things in the top 10 are things that I had already assumed the second I played the game. No force majeure's here.
I don't think trying to explain why I thought these might be surprising would be worthwhile. Sorry to waste your time.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 08 Aug 2006, 01:21

No, I'm sorry that I even brought it up. Let's just forget the whole thing.

Odolwa
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Guys, give UBI a breath...

Unread postby Odolwa » 08 Aug 2006, 12:30

OliverFA wrote:Heroes V is an outstanding product.
How you can think the weak campaign story being "outstanding" is beyond me ;|
At least I very much doubt the majority agrees with you. For me it was an enormous disappointment.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Guys, give UBI a breath...

Unread postby Orfinn » 08 Aug 2006, 13:37

Odolwa wrote:
OliverFA wrote:Heroes V is an outstanding product.
How you can think the weak campaign story being "outstanding" is beyond me ;|
At least I very much doubt the majority agrees with you. For me it was an enormous disappointment.

So what? Whats wrong if he likes it? Its each persons own opinion, other shouldnt influence with saying "hey the story sucks" "does it?, okay im gonna leave the campaign if it sucks as much as you said"

And I like the story too, its just the cinematics that sucks with bad lip sync, the constantly show off animations and bad voiceactors.

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 08 Aug 2006, 14:05

Few questions for those ho like story.

Do you read books? If yes, what kind of books do you read?
You play other games? Other games with above average story? Is this your first time when you try to read/listen and understand story of computer game?
What part of story you find interesting? What twists in story you like?

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 08 Aug 2006, 14:47

Now try to focus more on explaining the reasons for your own views instead of trying to deconstruct the views of others. Makes for a friendlier tone ;)

Just a general recommendation, not aimed at anyone specific.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Enjoyable

Unread postby Mytical » 08 Aug 2006, 18:48

I am a huge Heroes fan, in fact to me there is no better game franchise out there for the PC (and the only better one for me is the Final Fantasy franchise but that is a whole different story). While there are things I dont like about HommV there is much more I do like. Every product can have it's problems, and as stated earlier, the people making it now are in the neophyte phase for this product. I would have liked the towns to have offered Might and Magic versions instead of just 'specials', and I miss gold and red dragons, but all in all this game is interesting and not much holds my interest for long.

GrowlingDog
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby GrowlingDog » 08 Aug 2006, 20:57

I'm not sure who agrees with this and as an ADULT i dont really care (no, that is not inconsiderate). If any of the heroes games changed the names of those involved in the story but kept the exact storyline going, i wouldn't even notice. Yea, thats rite, i want to play the game not read a nice story. If the stroy is that important, just imagine it's a shakespeare. I mean it's not like i havn't had to fill in such obviuos holes left in stories myself. Most Sci-Fi (Star TrekTNG, i still love it) has to be explained to me by myself (why do UFO's have fancy bright lights? Lights are on planes to let others see YOU, or let you see them, not to scare farmers or lonely car drivers). Woo Hoo, this really is a geart way to vent. isnt it :D

Return to “Heroes V-VI”