I am an idiot...

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

I am an idiot...

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Aug 2006, 18:28

...or maybe just lazy. I'll let you decide.

So i wake up 3 days ago and try to start the PC coz my bro wanted to test something. The damn thing is as dead as a door nail. There's simply no juice going through it.

After a few minutes i recon it must be the source, probably burned or something. Then the second thing that comes to me is "what if it's the power cord?". But NO, I don't take the 2 steps lef required to pick up the spare power cord i have in my room. Instead i watch TV for half the day before going out. The second day I and my father take apart the source and clean it, then leave it there for a few hours to do other stuff. When i come back i put it back they way it was and try to start the PC again. Still dead. They I say WTH and try the other power cable, and guess what?! It starts imediatly, like nothing was wrong with it. Of course now the bloody Net ain't working, and i have to use the laptop in my bros room, which isn't even ours, and has a pretty weak connection. Ain't life grand?

Feel free to share any similar experiences.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 03 Aug 2006, 18:33

Finally something we can agree on! :D
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 Aug 2006, 18:48

I agree with the title :devil:

Btw,how long will this keep you off the web? :devious:

That reminds me on my first computer with the on/off switch a few years back.I completely forgot about it,because my previous one had no such switch.So when everything was hooked,i pushed the button to turn the computer on,but nothing happened.I checked all of the cables,yet still nothing.Then we called the gay that sold me the computer(hes a friend of hours),and he tested all of the cables for some 15 minutes,but still nothing.Then he remembered that there was this little switch.After that,it worked like a charm.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Aug 2006, 20:56

DaemianLucifer wrote:I agree with the title :devil:
Then we called the gay that sold me the computer(hes a friend of hours)
I can see why you agree with the title.

And this won't keep me off the web. Going to the sea will. :tonguehands:

Kalah, kalah, kalah.... afraid to share?!
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 03 Aug 2006, 21:06

Sometimes the complex mind won't accept the fact that a flaw is caused by as simple a thing as the power cable :devious:

I too have done something really stupid when it comes to computers :S When I first got my flat screen monitor to my computer, I kept being puzzled with the fact that the monitor notified me with this "No Signal Input" whenever I shut the computer down. I was totally unaware of what that meant so I got updates to the monitor and changed the cables but nothing worked (the monitor worked fine but I always wondered if anything was wrong since it gave me the same notification every day)
So one day a friend of mine, who has zero to none experience with computers, said to me: "uhm, you know, when the computer shuts down there's no signal to the monitor anymore cause....well...there's nothing to show". I felt so stupid :ashamed:
The answer was just too simple :D
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Aug 2006, 21:26

Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:Sometimes the complex mind won't accept the fact that a flaw is caused by as simple a thing as the power cable :devious:
All flaws are cause by simple things. And the thing is i was thinking all the time about it being the damn cable, it's just that somehow i just didn't get motivated enough to see if i was right.

Oh, and your story reminds me about my first Computer class in highschool, when the teacher asked if everyone knew how to turn on the PC. That's when i realised i should have taken the advanced class... and laughted my @$$ off. :devil:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 03 Aug 2006, 21:29

Hmmm... something stupid I've done.. well, let's see. I can be quite absent-minded at times, and often I forget where I put things. That's not too unusual though - many people are like that..
When I think of something I'll let you know.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 03 Aug 2006, 21:40

Kalah wrote:Hmmm... something stupid I've done.. well, let's see. I can be quite absent-minded at times, and often I forget where I put things. That's not too unusual though - many people are like that..
When I think of something I'll let you know.
I second that word by word.

Once I forgot a CD in the drive and shut down the computer. After an hour or so I turned it on again and started feverishly looking for the CD anywhere BUT in the drive. :| :loll:
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 03 Aug 2006, 21:48

:lolu:

That happens to me frequently...I'm absent-minded too :D
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 Aug 2006, 22:04

ThunderTitan wrote: Oh, and your story reminds me about my first Computer class in highschool, when the teacher asked if everyone knew how to turn on the PC. That's when i realised i should have taken the advanced class... and laughted my @$$ off. :devil:
Well,its not that bad when it happens to you in highschool,but thats how our computer classes started in college.After that,I went to those classes simply because of the speed of the internet.
theLuckyDragon wrote: Once I forgot a CD in the drive and shut down the computer. After an hour or so I turned it on again and started feverishly looking for the CD anywhere BUT in the drive. :| :loll:
Its not bad when you forget such trivial things.But when you start looking for your glasses when you are wearing them,like my father did once...Its time to retire(and he did after that,though it was just a coincidence :D )

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Aug 2006, 22:15

DaemianLucifer wrote: Well,its not that bad when it happens to you in highschool,but thats how our computer classes started in college.
I'm sorry, but unless you're 5 asking you if you know how to push a button is idiotic.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 04 Aug 2006, 00:15

ThunderTitan wrote: I'm sorry, but unless you're 5 asking you if you know how to push a button is idiotic.
Have you heard the story about that woman that asked her colleague what to do because her system crashed,and it turned out her computer fell on the floor?Or about the one that sait to tech support his coffee stand broke(the cd drive)?Or about the woman that put the mouse on the ground and started stepping on it,thinking it works like the paddle for a sawing machine?Trust me,there are lots of stuppid people everywhere.Just read the darwin,or stella awards,and youll see my point.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Aug 2006, 08:50

Like i said, idiotic.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 04 Aug 2006, 10:42

Yeah, but the point here was telling of someting stupid you had done, wasn't it?

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 04 Aug 2006, 10:47

i'm way too late to this to comment on the title, but i guess we all do similar things from time to time

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 04 Aug 2006, 15:01

I work in a computer lab, and it's amazing how many people never realize that a computer needs to be powered up first in order to use it. They'll sit down, move the mouse around a bit, tap a couple keys, move the mouse around somemore, and then finally come over and tell me that the PC isn't working. The looks on their faces when I press the power button are priceless.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 04 Aug 2006, 16:18

Wont doubt on that. Computer rookies are funny and interesting to teach :)

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 04 Aug 2006, 18:14

Just look at this:

For the chronically computer challenged…

Helpdesk: What kind of computer do you have?

Female customer: A white one.

————————————————-

Customer: Hi, this is Celina. I can’t get my diskette out.

Helpdesk: Have you tried pushing the button?

Customer: Yes, sure, it’s really stuck.

Helpdesk: That doesn’t sound good. I’ll make a note.

Customer: No, wait a minute, I hadn’t inserted it yet.

It’s still on my desk! Sorry!

———————————————

Helpdesk: Click on the ‘my computer’ icon on to the left of the screen.

Customer: Your left or my left?

————————————————

Helpdesk: Good day. How may I help you?

Male customer: Hello. I can’t print.

Helpdesk: Would you click on ‘Start’ for me and ..

Customer: Listen pal, don’t start getting technical on me! I’m not Bill Gates, darn it!

——————————————

Hi good afternoon, this is Martha. I can’t print.

Every time I try, it says ‘Can’t find printer’. I’ve even lifted the printer and placed it in front of the monitor, but the computer still says he can’t find it.

———————————————

Customer: I have problems printing in red.

Helpdesk: Do you have a color printer?

Customer: Aaaah………………..thank you!

——————————————–

Helpdesk: What’s on your monitor now ma’am?

Customer: A teddy bear my boyfriend bought for me in the supermarket.

———————————————

Helpdesk: And now hit F8.

Customer: It’s not working.

Helpdesk: What did you do, exactly?

Customer: I hit the F-key 8 times like you told me, but nothing’s happening.

———————————————–

Customer: My keyboard is not working any more.

Helpdesk: Are you sure it’s plugged into the computer?

Customer: No. I can’t get behind the computer.

Helpdesk: Pick up your keyboard and walk 10 paces back.

Customer: OK

Helpdesk: Did the keyboard come with you?

Customer: Yes

Helpdesk: That means the keyboard is not plugged in.

Is there another keyboard?

Customer: Yes, there’s another one here. Ah … that one does work!

———————————————

Helpdesk: Your password is the small letter a as in apple, a capital letter V as in Victor, the number 7…

Customer: Is that 7 in capital letters?

———————————————

A customer couldn’t get on the internet.

Helpdesk: Are you sure you used the right password?

Customer: Yes, I’m sure. I saw my colleague do it.

Helpdesk: Can you tell me what the password was?

Customer: Five stars.

———————————————-

Helpdesk: What antivirus program do you use?

Customer: Netscape

Helpdesk: That’s not an antivirus program.

Customer: Oh, sorry … Internet Explorer.

———————————————

Customer: I have a huge problem. A friend has placed a screensaver on my computer, but every time I move the mouse, it disappears!

————————————————

Helpdesk: Microsoft Tech Support, may I help you?

Old woman: Good afternoon! I have waited over 4 hours for you. Can you please tell me how long it will take before you can help me?

Helpdesk: Uhh? Pardon, I don’t understand your problem?

Old woman: I was working in Word and clicked the help button more than 4 hours ago. Can you tell me when you will finally be helping me?

————————————————

Helpdesk: How may I help you?

Customer: I’m writing my first e-mail.

Helpdesk: OK, and what seems to be the problem?

Customer: Well, I have the letter a, but how do I get the little circle around it?
and those aren't the only ones around on the internet. :devious:
Grah!

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 06 Aug 2006, 03:29

Dumb computerthings....can't really remember such things....Know one that involves a doublefolded floppydisk, a floppydrive and a fork but that was due to anger....

It was about 10 years ago when I was new to piracy, I had to ask my contact in my group (I was a small site) how to burn games....(never done it before)

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 06 Aug 2006, 10:11

Campaigner wrote: It was about 10 years ago when I was new to piracy, I had to ask my contact in my group (I was a small site) how to burn games....(never done it before)
Dip it into some flamable supstance(like alchohol) and then set it on fire :devil:

Return to “Campfire”