Neverwinter Nights News

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 29 Jul 2006, 00:56

@'Spit
Yeah, the main campaign was very boring. But HOTU, the second expansion was good enough I thought. Nothing spectacular mind you, but it filled my time up well enough.

It is going to be a system hog, but why? By making it such a system hog they are going to limit the amount of areas that will be playable within each module. Instead of NWN which has an effective 100 area per module size NWN2 might only have about 20-30 effective area amount per module(this info is from the devs, so I'd be leaning more towards the 20.)

@TT
Is this familiar to anyone? Obviously I won't buy any game until I deem it to be bug free, including one that many folks around here bought recently.
Hell has frozen over...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Jul 2006, 01:28

Well seeing as there still are plenty of persistants world for NWN and people are still making modules, i expect that in a few years NWN2 won't be so hard to run, and bigger modules will show up.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 29 Jul 2006, 01:49

ThunderTitan wrote:Well seeing as there still are plenty of persistants world for NWN and people are still making modules, i expect that in a few years NWN2 won't be so hard to run, and bigger modules will show up.
Wow!!! I had never thought of this!!! I will wait until then and I'll buy it!!! Talk about an incentive on day of purchase, wait a few years then you can make decently lengthed modules.(!!!)
Hell has frozen over...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Jul 2006, 10:05

Well that's their strategy, and seeing as it worked that way for NWN it is a valid one.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 01 Aug 2006, 02:13

Unfortunately, my 32 video card takes NWN now, but not CEP, so I'll have to wait for this laptop to fizz out and get a higher end for NWN2. But I still see NWN living with all it's PW's hanging around for a while. Not to mention the great community modules out there now for NWN.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 01 Aug 2006, 16:23

It is nice to see that we have psychics amoung us who can predict that a game will be a bugfest before it is ever released.

The game was delayed until October to polish it so hopefully there will be no major bugs despite the prognostication.

According to this article http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=129118

NWN2 is fully backwards compatable with all of the fan made content from NWN! So there will already be lots of fan content from the beginning. :)

There are several other articles about NWN on that site. The stronghold looks to be an interesting idea.

You will be able to have 2 companions. I'll still try to go solo with my characters probably, especially with a sneaky thief.

Anyways, I'll be getting my hands on it as soon as I can. :)

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 01 Aug 2006, 20:40

I hope, at least in NWN II, they remember the little class named Sorcerer/ess... The first game and its expansions were simply made with wizards in mind for spellcaster equipment. It wasn't fair to have ~25 charisma when mages could easily have 40+ intelligence (one of the expansions had a ring giving +10 Intelligence!!); but actually I'd prefer if they didn't turn the game into uber-itemfest at all for it kills the challenge..

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 02 Aug 2006, 01:59

Grumpy Old Wizard wrote:It is nice to see that we have psychics amoung us who can predict that a game will be a bugfest before it is ever released.

The game was delayed until October to polish it so hopefully there will be no major bugs despite the prognostication.

According to this article http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=129118

NWN2 is fully backwards compatable with all of the fan made content from NWN! So there will already be lots of fan content from the beginning. :)

There are several other articles about NWN on that site. The stronghold looks to be an interesting idea.

You will be able to have 2 companions. I'll still try to go solo with my characters probably, especially with a sneaky thief.

Anyways, I'll be getting my hands on it as soon as I can. :)

I really like the NWN thief too. With two companions you can have the big fighter (with that stupid double ax, I'm sure), a healer, a pet, and a familiar. We can have a basketball team.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 02 Aug 2006, 02:36

How are thieves holding up in the original NWN? Never tried one, too sneaky for my taste and I'm guessing they should be hard to roleplay which I like to do..

Can they do enough sneak attack damage to be able to survive tougher mobs, or are they strike & hide like rangers? Multiclassing as a thief would be a viable option perhaps, but I almost always stick to one class. So what is their saving grace besides an obscene number of skill points?

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 02 Aug 2006, 11:53

cornellian wrote:How are thieves holding up in the original NWN? Never tried one, too sneaky for my taste and I'm guessing they should be hard to roleplay which I like to do..

Can they do enough sneak attack damage to be able to survive tougher mobs, or are they strike & hide like rangers? Multiclassing as a thief would be a viable option perhaps, but I almost always stick to one class. So what is their saving grace besides an obscene number of skill points?
Playing a pure thief is a blast if you like sneaky characters.

Yes, you can do quite a bit of damage with a sneak attack. If you are facing a tough group though sometimes you may need to run around the corner and hide again.

Also, I like traps, which are very useful for softening up those enemies who chase you.

The Use item skill can also let you use equipment intended for other classes and use scrolls, wands, and the like. I stick to traditional thief weapons like daggers, short swords, and short bows.

I did try a shadowdancer prestige class with one of my thieves but the Hide in Plain Sight ability was overpowering so I deleted that character.

My favorite NWN NPC is Tomi "Here comes halfling death!" Underling. :)

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 04 Aug 2006, 21:19

A multiplayer beta test for NWN2 has been announced. You can sign up here:
http://www.atari.com/nwn2betatest/multiplayer/

GOW

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 05 Aug 2006, 03:17

Thiefs are a great solo class, provided you have the patience. Use Items is a great skill, especially to cast spells and what not. It helps greatly to compensate for innate lack of strength and will saves.

I started to make a thief I had into a Shadow Dancer, but I never really found the need to get Hide in Plain Sight. With Boots of Speed, I usually could get out of a tight situation, hide, and backstab someone.

My top 3 class in order would be: Paladin, Thief, and Monk.

Too bad my laptop probably isn't powerful enough to run NWN 2. Plus I have a dial-up, so I doubt I would get a great experience out of the beta.
Last edited by Omega_Destroyer on 05 Aug 2006, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 05 Aug 2006, 03:59

For those who may or may not know, the Addon for NWN, CEPv2 is almost ready for release. My video card won't handle the CEP, nor will my dial up. But I thought you might like to know that it's about here. Check out the link below for more details:

http://nwn.bioware.com/players/cep.html

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 12 Aug 2006, 20:38

This article gives more details about NWN2.
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/neverwin ... bj=6155712

Character creation looks like it is is going to be great! It looks like the influence system for companions will be similar to that used in KOTOR2.

GOW
Last edited by Grumpy Old Wizard on 13 Aug 2006, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.

magritte2
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby magritte2 » 13 Aug 2006, 01:20

Hey, I didn't realize Chris Avellone was at Bioware these days. That's reason enough to look forward to this game.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Aug 2006, 14:23

Bioware isn't making it. They're all busy with making their own IPs.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 13 Aug 2006, 14:49

Obsidian is making NWN2.

Here are more impressions, pictures, and a developer interview from GenCon.
http://nwn2.warcry.com/#64005

While most of the photos are blured you get a peek at things like subrace bonuses that you may find interesting.

GOW

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 14 Aug 2006, 04:06

good to know, always like info on this game - shame about bioware - they did sucha a great job with black isle with id and bg

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Aug 2006, 11:02

Well Obsidian is made up of former Bioware employs (or however it's spelled), and KotOR 2 was a good game if you ignore all the bugs and the cut ending. As long as they're given enough time the game should turn out fine.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 15 Aug 2006, 23:49

NWN2 Limited Edition content
- A powerful new feat called Blessed of Waukeen, which will generate +1 bonus to all saving throws,
- Two special items
- Access to a unique weapon
- A magical golden aura which lights above your character
- Cloth map showing in-game locations
- Book of art, depicting characters and scenes from the game
- Two silver antique rings: Good & Evil

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=646631

So if I'm going to be a walking light bulb I guess playing a thief is out, eh? ;)

GOW

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”