Heroes IV: Rate it!

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Rate HoMM IV

10 - love it!
18%
28%
12%
12%
12%
4%
2%
1%
6%
1%
1 - loathe it!
5%

Total votes: 108

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jul 2006, 21:02

pepak wrote:
DaemianLucifer wrote:Thats the camera,which I said is bad.
I for one LOVE isometric view! Of course, I grew up on Knight Lore, Great Escape and similar games...
It does take some getting used to.

Milla aka. the Slayer wrote: Sure it can get a 10 anyway..
Perfect scores are for perfect games... :tonguehands:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 25 Jul 2006, 21:43

Na aah! Not to me :D Besides it is perfect for me..
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 26 Jul 2006, 14:20

The chesslike battle field, making battles very tactical.
Both games have tactical battles. They are just made on different way.
No FoG
And some people still pray that someone will mode FoW into H5.
Fantastic envirement
It is design and design is a matter of taste. It doesn't increase the gameplay value.
Creatures stand still
Have you ever asked yourself what does Statuary Guards button means in H4?
Superb Campaig history, tied with old Griffen hearth and other.
Last time I checked, H3 and H4 are in the same universe.
The creatures are superb looking and well balanced.
H3 usually don't win battles in Evolution polls.
I belive you played H3 after H4? am i right?
Advice: read what is writen on the top of my post.
You'll always have creatures that are better than another. That's why you have to use more then one unit type, so to balance your army.
The same thing is in H1, H2, H4, H5, H6...
No FoG, you dont have to have a dozen heroes just to make sure no one enters your land. A benefit in my mind.
First you say that H3 is better in some things because they are tactical and now you told something is better because it is less tactical?
Creatures stand still. There job is to protect the mine not run around like little children.
What did you play? Guards attack you and then return back on their posts. They are not blind idiots like in H3 and H5.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Torur » 26 Jul 2006, 15:00

Crap, I wrote an answer early this morning but it isnt shown anywhere.
Of course, but there is less tactical warfare on the H4 BF. This is of course my oppinion, some would say the opposite, but I do not see the tactics in H4 as I do in H3.
Only because someone wants it dosent make it a good asset.
It is design and design is a matter of taste. It doesn't increase the gameplay value.
True, I am speaking from my point of view and the H3 world looks better and therefore makes it more enjoyable.
Have you ever asked yourself what does Statuary Guards button means in H4?
I know of this button, wasnt thinking about it. But still Guards dont run from their guarding point because someone rides by.
Last time I checked, H3 and H4 are in the same universe.
You have not noticed that you are playing on a totally different planet?
H3 usually don't win battles in Evolution polls.
That might be, but they have better looks than H4 in my eyes. Some of the are only topped by some in H2.
The same thing is in H1, H2, H4, H5, H6...
Did I state anything else. Someone said that the game was unbalanced, and I said no, I said why I said no.
First you say that H3 is better in some things because they are tactical and now you told something is better because it is less tactical?
FoW has very little with tactics to do, it just gives you more unneeded work.
What did you play? Guards attack you and then return back on their posts. They are not blind idiots like in H3 and H5.
What is your point?

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 26 Jul 2006, 15:34

I guess I never posted.

HOMM4 is a 10. When counted on the hole, while there are flaws in the game (like all games) the excellent mapmakers and the EQ team have bent the rules to continue my enjoyment of the game years and years after original purchase.

Some of this may not be fair, because I would easily give both HOMM1 and HOMM2 an easy 10 - and HOMM3 a 9 as well. In my mind this franchise is the best.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 26 Jul 2006, 15:36

Universe- entire world of game.
Planet- just a planet.

H4 campaigns were based on the survivors of war and apocalipse,it had practicaly all themes which were in H3.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Jul 2006, 18:21

Torur wrote: But still Guards dont run from their guarding point because someone rides by.
Most of those creatures weren't someones guards to begin with, and defeating armies while still weak, without waiting for them to get strong enough to dare attack you is a great strategy...

Torur wrote: FoW has very little with tactics to do, it just gives you more unneeded work.
Yeah, it has to do with strategy, not tactics. The problem was that you needed to hunt down every enemy creature to win. If they had only made it losing all heroes and castles for a week it would have been perfect.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 26 Jul 2006, 18:34

Torur wrote: Of course, but there is less tactical warfare on the H4 BF. This is of course my oppinion, some would say the opposite, but I do not see the tactics in H4 as I do in H3.
Just adding LoS and tactics increase tenfold.But HIV added specllcasters,heroes on BF,and increased the BF too.Those increase tactics countless times.Pure math.
Torur wrote: Only because someone wants it dosent make it a good asset.
Goes both ways.
Torur wrote: I know of this button, wasnt thinking about it. But still Guards dont run from their guarding point because someone rides by.
What do you mean by this?You like it when those guards just stand by watching you picking resources near them?Yet you call HIV guards acting childish.
Torur wrote: You have not noticed that you are playing on a totally different planet?
So is every starcraft mission a game for itself?Does that mean that every part of erathia has rules of its own?
Torur wrote: That might be, but they have better looks than H4 in my eyes. Some of the are only topped by some in H2.
Well most evolution polls are won by HII and HI,which means that originality is the key here.
Torur wrote: FoW has very little with tactics to do, it just gives you more unneeded work.
FoW has very little to do with tactics?Sorry,I cannot reply,still shocked by that statement.

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby pepak » 26 Jul 2006, 18:48

DaemianLucifer wrote:Well most evolution polls are won by HII and HI,which means that originality is the key here.
Actually, it means that nostalgia is the key here. I have been following computer games since early 1980's and as far as I can tell, there were maybe 10 games that were successful because of their originality. Most of them scored for different reasons.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Jul 2006, 18:58

DaemianLucifer wrote: FoW has very little to do with tactics?Sorry,I cannot reply,still shocked by that statement.
FoW doesn't really have anything to do with tactics, as it's part of strategy. Tactics are the things you use on the BF.

And H2 still has the best look of all HoMM games, nostalgia or no nostalgia, pixel count be damned.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 26 Jul 2006, 19:19

ThunderTitan wrote: FoW doesn't really have anything to do with tactics, as it's part of strategy. Tactics are the things you use on the BF.
Here you are correct.But I doubt that the original poster meant that FoW has nothing to do with tactics because its a strategical element.
ThunderTitan wrote: And H2 still has the best look of all HoMM games, nostalgia or no nostalgia, pixel count be damned.
Yes.Its not just nostalgia,but the style chosen was simply the best.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 26 Jul 2006, 20:28

Of course, but there is less tactical warfare on the H4 BF. This is of course my oppinion, some would say the opposite, but I do not see the tactics in H4 as I do in H3.
And I see it. I had many battles that I needed to replay few times (I played one for more then 3 hours). One decision changes things. H3 is at the same level tough H5 lacks it.
Only because someone wants it dosent make it a good asset.
Who talks about wanting? I pointed that H4 battles are very tactical. Neither did I say anything about wishing neither did I say anything about tastes.
The fact that they are happening on different planets is no way the different universe. If you ever played and read stories from H4 campaigns, you would see that they are all strongly connected. Especialy
the Order campaign where you fight against the famous Gavin Magnus.

H5's Ashan IS happening in different universe because there are 0% connections with the former game universes.

Did I state anything else. Someone said that the game was unbalanced, and I said no, I said why I said no.

You'll always have creatures that are better than another. That's why you have to use more then one unit type, so to balance your army.

Do you see how magnificently I used your quote against you??
FoW has very little with tactics to do, it just gives you more unneeded work.
Totally agree with ye olde Damien.
What is your point?
Guards (sane ones) who guard something will not wait for you until you bring bigger armies.

Read this paragraph from "The Adventures in Erathia and Tatalia":
Guard: Where are u going?
Hero and his army: I am going to bring reinforcments so that I can slay you later and take your treasure :)
Guard: Why don't u kill us now?
Hero: Because you will slay us all and you all shall stay alive for many, many more years and we will also become unable to destroy that for what you are fighting for :)
Guard: Uh. Ok. Continue then.
and this paragraph from "The Terror of Axeoth":
Guard: Where are you going?!
Hero: I am goi...
Guard: Die Scum!
Hero: AHHHHHHH!!!!

St0rmB0lt
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby St0rmB0lt » 27 Jul 2006, 05:47

Voted 9.

I loved it (and still do) but it is quite imperfect.

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Torur » 27 Jul 2006, 08:44

Guess the guard thing is a matter of taste. I hate the fact that they move around and you cant be to close. It makes you have to run around them all the time.

Sauron said:
And I see it. I had many battles that I needed to replay few times (I played one for more then 3 hours). One decision changes things. H3 is at the same level tough H5 lacks it.
Thank you, the decision in H3 are decisive. Lost many battles because of one single move that was wrong.
Who talks about wanting? I pointed that H4 battles are very tactical. Neither did I say anything about wishing neither did I say anything about tastes.
True you use tactics, but not in the same extent as H3.

Do you see how magnificently I used your quote against you??
This is abit stupid, did I say anything else?
Here you are correct.But I doubt that the original poster meant that FoW has nothing to do with tactics because its a strategical element.
Im sorry, I used the wrong word. Still can you tell me what stategy you need to the FoW.

On the H2 matter, I agree with you guys, its the best looking of them all.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 27 Jul 2006, 09:50

True you use tactics, but not in the same extent as H3.
At the same extent. If we want to test witch battlefield is more tactical we should summon Gaius Julius or Napoleon Bonnaparte to see what do they think. Deciding witch is more tactical is an never-ending issue.
This is abit stupid, did I say anything else?
Did you just say that your quote is stupid??
Im sorry, I used the wrong word. Still can you tell me what stategy you need to the FoW.
Send scouts to scout the area for enemy armies. Scouts also make decision where to go easier.

Did you never heard something like this:
"Our scouts report that a big enemy army lead by general X is coming this way. They also report that they saw an low-defended fort that could give us an tactical advantage in the fight that is to come." OR "Kill every enemy scout you see! I don't want theme to see the size of my army and neither do I want theme to see that we are to split our army in two parts! Put bandits on each road to get read of those little sprites."

It seems to me that yout tactic is this: Buy armies, kill enemy, buy army, capture town, buy army, capture town, buy army, destroy the enemy, buy army, recapture town.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 27 Jul 2006, 10:43

Torur wrote:True you use tactics, but not in the same extent as H3.
Anyone who has played both H3 and H4 thoroughly will tell you that H4 is far more tactical than H3. Not by inches, or miles, but by lightyears.

My guess is you haven’t delved into H4 enough to be able to judge tactical depth. Which makes sense ofcourse; if you dislike a game, you won’t delve into it as much as you would when you like a game.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby pepak » 27 Jul 2006, 10:48

Torur wrote:True you use tactics, but not in the same extent as H3.
Oh, this is such a beautiful sentence, just begging for a sarcastic remark! I will hold myself back, though, and only comment that you are mistaken.
If a game uses fog of war, scouting, logistics and disguise skills become much more important than is the case without FOW, and the opposite is true for pure strength (both physical and magical).

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 27 Jul 2006, 13:30

Imho H4 is more tactical, but it has few big flaws, like heroes on the BF, it just looks wrong when 1 hero wins against 50 black dragons, to get such hero in mp is bit unrealistic but still it is possible.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 Jul 2006, 15:27

Torur wrote: True you use tactics, but not in the same extent as H3.
Uh,oh...Unlike pepak,I wont hold myself back,because,you see,pong is so much more realistic than actuall tennis.Even a blind man sees that.
Torur wrote: Im sorry, I used the wrong word. Still can you tell me what stategy you need to the FoW.
Did you ever hear of reconnaissance?You know,sending scouts into your enemy teritory to see what hes doing,putting guard posts to watch for any enemy aproaching...Do you know why japanese managed to destroy perl harbour so easily?Because of FoW :devil:

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 27 Jul 2006, 19:42

Hey, no reason to flame pong, its one of the greatest video games ever....

tennis is more realistic, but it aint as fun as pong with 2 ppl :)

realism and fun factor are 2 very diferent things :)

PONG forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Heroes I-IV”