Half life

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 Jul 2006, 12:07

Awesomeness with the Source engine, by Valve.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 Jul 2006, 12:52

ThunderTitan wrote:Awesomeness with the Source engine, by Valve.
8| 8| 8|

And I thought gravity gun is as far as awesome goes.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 19 Jul 2006, 14:47

cornellian wrote:
Half-Life was the first shooter that had a good AI, in fact, I'm not sure it has been outdone in any other shooter yet. Nowadays programmers rely too much on scripts and leave little time for standart AI programming. Not that HL didn't have scripts, actually it was the first shooter that featured a heavily scripted campaign, but the scripts were reinforcing the AI, not the other way around.. Most people can't tell the difference between scripted AI and good AI but seasoned FPS players easily can..

HL was great fun, especially when the AI did the unexpected.. The first time I saw soldiers, I just ran towards them thinking to myself 'there, I'm saved' when they shouted something like "Contact, fire at will!".. Sheepishly, I turned back if there were monsters coming behind me and realized only too late that I was the monster there :D, and got killed before I could say 'what the'..
That wasn't the AI that did unexpected there, it was the plot.

You don't count Descents as shooters? They are supposed to have excellent AI and I think the first one came 1995, 4 years earlier than Half-life 1.

And no way original UT is better than 2004 one with it's Onslaught mode, improved graphics, improved AI and other stuff that had added to the game.

FPS's I've played moderately (not necessarily completed but neither just one-play session):
Wolfenstein 3D
Blake Stone (not sure of the name)
Doom
Doom 2
Doom 3
Heretic
Hexen
Rise of the Triad
Duke Nukem 3D
Quake
Quake 2
Quake 3: Arena
Halflife
Unreal Tournament
Unreal Tournament 2003
Unreal Tournament 2004
Return to Castle Wolfenstain
No One Lives Forever
No One Lives Forever 2

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 19 Jul 2006, 16:53

Portals looks sweet. First it was the Xen gun, then the gravity gun, and now a portal gun. I can only wonder what the next crazy weapon Valve will come up with.

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 20 Jul 2006, 02:07

Humakt wrote:
cornellian wrote: HL was great fun, especially when the AI did the unexpected.. The first time I saw soldiers, I just ran towards them thinking to myself 'there, I'm saved' when they shouted something like "Contact, fire at will!".. Sheepishly, I turned back if there were monsters coming behind me and realized only too late that I was the monster there :D, and got killed before I could say 'what the'..
That wasn't the AI that did unexpected there, it was the plot.
I've meant doing the unexpected as in 'I wasn't expecting them to shoot me' kind unexpected...
Humakt wrote: You don't count Descents as shooters? They are supposed to have excellent AI and I think the first one came 1995, 4 years earlier than Half-life 1.
Descent series don't have excellent AI, I have played every one of them, and they have fair but in no means special AI... It was good for its time though. Half-Life's AI, in some skirmishes of the game, hasn't been surpassed yet. Descent's strong point was its uniqueness, not its AI.
Humakt wrote:
And no way original UT is better than 2004 one with it's Onslaught mode, improved graphics, improved AI and other stuff that had added to the game.
UT 2004's AI is not much better in most maps, the graphics mean absolutely nothing unless you only play single player against bots and even then it is of no importance for me -I'd rather blow my opponent to pieces than admire the intricate carvings on his armor, and Onslaught feels like a mediocre rip up of Battlefield and tends to have stalemates lasting for tens of minutes if played with/against experienced players. One of my Onslaught games (in that big desert map for 16 players, can't recall the name) lasted for three hours before our team simply surrendered, for people finally ate up their prides and caved...

By the way, UT 2004, being the sequel, is supposed to be better than UT, but I'd rather have originality than 6000+ new maps.. I'd hold both games equal if I hadn't worked on the first but I can't, as I'm partial to the original..

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 21 Jul 2006, 04:08

admitting bias is always a step in the right direction

cause there's been a long time between ut and ut2004 it makes for a slightly skewed comparison, i actually think they are roughly equal, they both captured a huge amount of my time

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 09 Aug 2006, 17:42

So will this crazy portal gun be avaiable in any Hlf-Life 2 mod, expansion, episode? Looks awsome thoug, especially the scenes with the guns floating up and down, lol :D

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 09 Aug 2006, 18:03

Its not there in episode one,but who knows.Maybe its for TF2.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 10 Aug 2006, 11:56

Team Fortress 2? How cool! You do know that Valve are planning to realease TF2 and Episode 2 around late autumn...I think. Since I got a sucky computer but have this nice 360 I gonna buy the fat package including HF2, episode 1. 2 TF2 and CSSource (though I hate CS) this year. Still I heard rumors it will be avaiable early next year. Better getting my sourround system up by then :devious:

berntie
Scout
Scout

Unread postby berntie » 11 Aug 2006, 00:59

Hmm, Half-Life!

I finished it once in SP which was great entertainment: superbe plot, excellent AI, nasty tentacle monster, great giant fish (GGF). I have definitely some fond memories of playing it. HL deathmatches were cool, too ...

BUT: In SP. the last episodes on Zen sucked big time. Never seen such a f***ed up world as Zen. As soon as I arrived there, it was just "try to somehow get to and beat the boss"; an annoying piece of work that had to be done (just because you don't quit so close before the end), but by no means entertaining.

Zen is the reason that, for me, HL isn't "one of the greates games ever", but just "excellent".

By the way, here are the quotes I remember :D :
And what if they find a body?

Body? What body?

*Nasty laughing*
Wait! Don't let it overcharge!

What do you mean "overch" ...

*Big explosion*
Scientist to Gordon Freeman: "You don't look like you've got any trouble killing things."

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 26 Sep 2006, 20:02

Soo,did any of you play episode one?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Sep 2006, 23:05

Nope, the mood never struck me. How was it?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 Sep 2006, 05:48

Nice story,some humor,but nothing new and not worth the money.Luckily,I didnt play it at home :devious: And its easy.You need just an hour or so to go trough it.

But a funny thing is that the one of the most difficult parts here involves you standing your ground against a bunch of zombies,just like in the original.

Also,do you think well see the portal gun in the episode 2?

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 28 Sep 2006, 06:27

I've finished Episode 1 and it really didn't impress me much and is nothing to compare with the great and almighty Half-Life 2. Yeah, there are some cool elements and action stuff but overall the game is just too short and most of the action takes places in the ruins of City 17 and underground. However, I really liked the ending scene - totally terrifying. :nervous:

From what I've seen, Episode 2 will be a lot better but as I have heard, they have pushed back the release to 1st quarter of 2007.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 Sep 2006, 07:08

arturchix wrote:I've finished Episode 1 and it really didn't impress me much and is nothing to compare with the great and almighty Half-Life 2. Yeah, there are some cool elements and action stuff but overall the game is just too short and most of the action takes places in the ruins of City 17 and underground. However, I really liked the ending scene - totally terrifying. :nervous:

From what I've seen, Episode 2 will be a lot better but as I have heard, they have pushed back the release to 1st quarter of 2007.
Well,ep1 was just a prologue.The three episodes couldve been released as a single game,true,but I do find this way very good indeed.And yes,ep2 will came probably in february or march.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 28 Sep 2006, 15:37

I thought Episode 1 was done very well. I am really looking forward to Episode 2 and the Portals game that comes with it.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 Sep 2006, 15:56

Did any of you see that new game prey?It has some weird portals.And I do mean weird.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 28 Sep 2006, 22:21

I played the demo. The technology was pretty sweet, but I can't really see myself playing through it more than once, so I didn't pick it up.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

chaosgorgon
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby chaosgorgon » 02 Oct 2006, 14:19

HL1 story was pretty cool, was a mistake?, was planned?, wher come all thes strange dudes??, the corporative guy...

HL2 story is plain stupid....i mean tipical "freedom figthers" or "evil kings", the games looks like a mix of war of worlds and yugoslavia war.....stupid

would had better if in the second part you play another character against mstr freeman (that become in a "CIA" mercenarie), and the events would have been inmediatly after HL1 ends

only IMVHO
Tigrans forever!!!!meow!!!

Shuyssar
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Shuyssar » 02 Oct 2006, 16:41

I love the Half Life: Counterstrike! It requires clever thinking and tactics. It is also a teamplay! :-D

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”