Patch 1.2 News

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Re: Patch 1.2 News

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 14 Jul 2006, 13:38

WretchedGnu wrote:I think it's a good thing to keep CivIV in mind when evaluating the "quality control" of *any* $50 computer game, whether it's a TBS or not.

It's easy to excuse mediocre quality with a shrug and a "that's just the way the industry is nowadays." Not so. I've become so inured to shoddy game production I was shocked to see how polished CivIV was straight out of the box.

In all aspects, but epecially in terms of information, interface and AI, CivIV simply blows away H5. I know programming a good AI is no cakewalk, but sloppy information and interface is just a matter of laziness.

If the Civ developers and publishers can do it, so should everyone else be able to.
I mention Civ IV merely because many people were unable to play it out of the box -- it would crash before getting to the opening screen. :)

But on the whole, that is true. Civ IV is a magnificent example of the kind of thought that should be put in to game design and quality before release.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Patch 1.2 News

Unread postby Ethric » 14 Jul 2006, 19:35

WretchedGnu wrote: In all aspects, but epecially in terms of information, interface and AI, CivIV simply blows away H5. I know programming a good AI is no cakewalk, but sloppy information and interface is just a matter of laziness.

If the Civ developers and publishers can do it, so should everyone else be able to.
And if the developers of Galactic Civilization II can make a decent non-cheating AI in a fairly complex TBS, then so should everyone else be able to :)

Unfortunately, everyone else don't have to, there are other ways to make a game sell and make a buck than actually making sure it's as good a game as it can be (within reason of course).
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 20 Jul 2006, 11:04

an d work very well

Return to “News”