The Cultist → The Conquest

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
eslater
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby eslater » 11 Jul 2006, 16:25

I have all 3 towns (4 if you count Inferno) and can't beat Gil, as he's walking around with:

27 unicorn, 27 Treants, 8 Emerald Dragons, 272 Pixies, 37 Elder Druids and 88 Master Hunters.

Should i just camp out on town and build up my forces? I'm about 1/3 his size.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 11 Jul 2006, 17:14

Did you pick up the scroll of frenzy?
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

eslater
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby eslater » 11 Jul 2006, 18:46

wimfrits wrote:Did you pick up the scroll of frenzy?
If you're talking to me, then "no". Gil was running around grabbing stuff, I've got control of all (except for maybe 1) town, mine, etc. but I don't see a scroll.

Where do you find it, and if Gil got it is there one for me?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 12 Jul 2006, 00:48

eslater wrote:If you're talking to me, then "no". Gil was running around grabbing stuff, I've got control of all (except for maybe 1) town, mine, etc. but I don't see a scroll.

Where do you find it, and if Gil got it is there one for me?
Its being guarded by the dragons that stand between the S and NE towns.So its very likely gilraen got it.If you have treants hell probably cast on them and spend all his mana in some 3,4 turns,so this one can be dealt with,but it is hard.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 12 Jul 2006, 06:44

DaemianLucifer wrote: Its being guarded by the dragons that stand between the S and NE towns.
Death Knights in my game. Just NW of the spot where you cross the water to the NE town.
With frenzy the fight is pretty easy.

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 25 Jul 2006, 02:01

Patch 1.2: Gilraen doesn't flee like he used to now, which makes the opening harder. Also, the AIs seem to be way more active. Heroic on 1.2 is much more challenging compared to 1.1.
Edited on Tue, Jul 25 2006, 21:07 by maltz

NickMP
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby NickMP » 26 Jul 2006, 23:25

I've edited out a query as I've solved it: in the final battle, I "won" but only with raised-from-the-dead troops who would vanish at the end of the battle. I got the winning cut scene, then a message saying I'd lost. Re-ran the battle and won properly the next time, no problem.

There is by the way a good reason to focus on upgrading Sylvan towns, even though as the walkthrough says it goes against the grain of the scenario - the Inferno town has its gold production capped at the third level and can't produce devils, and there are of course more Sylvan towns.

You don't need to fight the elementals in the centre - gives you better central communications but going round the west side works fine.
Edited on Thu, Jul 27 2006, 15:32 by NickMP

Robguy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Robguy » 31 Jul 2006, 16:26

I downloaded the game form Gamespot.com. I tried to patch using the download version patch and get a Heroes V not installed. Treid the regualr patch and got same result, so I guess I'm not gonna be able to upgrade unless I figure out a way to fix it. I really want to patch so I can try this map and see if it is easier, cuz right now it is kicking my butt.

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 31 Jul 2006, 16:39

Did you download the game "DEMO"? I am pretty sure you can't download the official release from gamespot.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: The Cultist → The Conquest

Unread postby wimfrits » 31 Jul 2006, 18:39

maltz wrote:Also, the AIs seem to be way more active. Heroic on 1.2 is much more challenging compared to 1.1.
Are you sure? From what I hear on the various boards, AI performance appears to have decreased enormously.

Robguy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Robguy » 01 Aug 2006, 02:16

No it is full version, which I payed $50 for. There is also a downloaded version patch which is what I tried to use the first time, but niother works. However, I think I already have the 1.2 version even though it says 1.0. When I followed your advice and took the first castle on day 1 week 2 the druids did not activate until the third week versus the second. Anyway I got alot farther than I did previously actualy capturing my second town, but my troops were too low in number to deal with Gil afterward. I took the castle to the west, after taking out the Phoenix's. I tried the Elementals and got stomped. Maybe it is because i do not have the Phantom Forces spell. Anyway I will try again and try to take the far norht town second this time.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 01 Aug 2006, 03:05

that's what i have heard too wimfrits .... that the ai didn't rush quite so much
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

tha_masta_64
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby tha_masta_64 » 01 Aug 2006, 04:49

this was by far the hardest mission so far (without the new patch) even on friggin NORMAL DIFFICULTY!! i had to redo it a couple of times, after some poor choices and dumb mistakes during battles.

i chose to go with the pit fiends from the begining and only have agrael use inferno because of the gating capabilities. i was able to avoid getting the fiends killed throughout the whole mission by storing them at the castle before fighting gilraen.

also one thing i did that no-one mentioned was kill the group of archangels to the top left corner of the map and get some uber chest peice (there was another close to the castle to the northeast guarded by some dark knights - - i had gotten it one timewith a sub-hero, but was killed by gilraen right after, so didnt bother again)

i didnt bother about when to capture castles or anything, i just went through it all, killing everything from a side - i was able to kill the rakshasa rajas and get the key for the gate to unlock the devils close to the inferno castle.

throughout the whole mission, i must of run through about 10+ extra heroes. a couple of them were just to harvest inferno creatures - imps, horned, and devils. others were to get sylvan creatures and weaken gilraen.

ultimately i was able to get him down from almost 200 pixies, 120 war dancers, 100 master hunters, 70 druid elders, 7 emerald dragons, 25 silver unicorns, and 15 ancient treants.

each hero i sent at him focused on only one unit, till that hero died (which was sometimes right before the stack finished or right after, ha).

pixies were the first to go. then were the hunters. then the druids. with casters out of the way i chose to finish of the dancers.

by this time heros were drawing gilraen to the north east castle while agrael was coming from behind, just after upgrading all the devils and pit fiends to the ultimate :-D

with advanced pathfinding abilities, agrael caught up to him and (i wouldnt say easily) but we got through it. the last to go were the treants. they are some tough *******s.

this whole thing took me easily at least 5-6 hours (this last time around - not counting all the failures from before).

let me tell you, phantom forces is one of the best spells ever. it sucks though when right after you cast it, some shooter hits the stack of 200 horned overseers for like 2 dmg and they all die, but they also have a 50% chance of missing, which is pretty hot.

i dont really look forward to doing this one again!! :-P

im curious to know which upgrades you all take for your heros.

i chose attack, logistics, war machines, luck, and leadership.

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 01 Aug 2006, 04:55

> However, I think I already have the 1.2 version even though it says 1.0.

When I installed patch 1.2 I did have 1.2 show up on the main page, though. Did you match the patch region (US, EU, etc.) ?

Not long ago I saw a screenshot of Agrael + 12 spirtes killed 77 earth elementals. I am sure you know what to do.

Not sure why, but in my 1.2 campaigns the AIs are really more active than 1.0 and 1.1. Perhaps my 1.1 patch (which gave me version 1.0 on the main page, btw) messed up some thing and decapacitated the AI?

stijn
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby stijn » 08 Aug 2006, 12:33

i'm near the NW castle (just beaten the earth elementals with 35 sprites :-)), but anwen doesn't leave the castle cause i still got a lot of my inferno units. (i did a lot of reloading to minimize losses), but i can't beat the hero when he's in the castle (damn unreachable hunters), does anybody have any tips on how i can get him to leave the castle? playing on heroic, day 6 of week 2, just beaten the elementals.
'the new guy'

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 08 Aug 2006, 12:37

Can you kill them with some destructive spells from Agrael?

stijn
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby stijn » 10 Aug 2006, 08:50

i got the treants from the dwelling first, with a lot of luck i was able to win the battle with 2 treants left. finished the entire map, but i've never seen ginrael leave his castle. this map was in fact quite easy, cause green never came looking for me 8|

edit: 1.2 patch installed, on heroic.

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 10 Aug 2006, 12:59

In my game I hired a secondary hero to ship me new inferno units of Week 2. The AI heroes loved to come after him. I guess that's why the NW town Sylvan hero and NE town Gilraen actually left town, making my game easier and harder later. :-D

stijn
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby stijn » 10 Aug 2006, 18:10

i was able to hire grok, best chaining hero ever :D

aznricepuff
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby aznricepuff » 22 Aug 2006, 19:48

AARRRGHHHH!!!!! I hate this mission!!!! Even on normal it was impossible. I must've restarted at least 5 times. What's more annoying is the first time i tried i was unlucky enough to get a "Week of Festivals", which gave Gilraen a huge advantage over me. I finally won by hiding behind my Sylvan castle and spamming succubi mistress attacks at Gilraen's druids/master hunters, then focusing on his dragons, and finally on his unicorns/treants. Even after i killed Gilraen, I almost lost because this second green hero attacked me with an army just a little weaker than Gilraen's ( he had 2 less emerald dragons, about 10 less master hunters, war dancers, and druids, and about 5 less silver unicorn). I was able to kill this guy but i was left with only a couple of succubi and overseers after the battle.

Return to “Articles”