Nival Answers: Part Trois

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Jul 2006, 21:28

DaemianLucifer wrote:Are you saying that every single person in the world can be a proffesional football player?
Yes. This is more about practice. Pele and Maradona they might not be, but pro anyone ca be, with practice. :tongue:

DaemianLucifer wrote: Or a great musician?
No. Talent is just talent. Sure, nowadays they can just fake it, but that doesn't make them great musicians.

As everyone can get those skills to get to the ultimate talent isn't required.

I find the fact that some heroes can't get it no matter what to be idiotic. It doesn't serve any other purpose except to not allow Findan to get the overpowered sylvan one. It also sounds like a lame excuse Nival came up with after the fact.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 04 Jul 2006, 04:09

The Skeleton Archer problem is actually a result of several unbalanced features coming together -- the startlingly high resurrection rate, the ability to raise Archers directly, and the permanent Raise Dead spell. I would like to see all these addressed so that the Necro would get a fair number of Skellies but need to return to town to buy upgrades. You could still build a large force, but not out of proportion to what Haven can do with its jumped up Peasants. And you would not be able to build a monster army for free.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 04 Jul 2006, 06:17

ThunderTitan wrote:
DaemianLucifer wrote:Are you saying that every single person in the world can be a proffesional football player?
Yes. This is more about practice. Pele and Maradona they might not be, but pro anyone ca be, with practice. :tongue:
Err . . . no. I definitely could not make it into the NBA, and it doesn't matter how hard I practice.
ThunderTitan wrote: I find the fact that some heroes can't get it no matter what to be idiotic. It doesn't serve any other purpose except to not allow Findan to get the overpowered sylvan one. It also sounds like a lame excuse Nival came up with after the fact.
Yes, we've established that. But what purpose would allowing every single hero to get it serve?
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Jul 2006, 10:23

Bandobras Took wrote: Yes, we've established that. But what purpose would allowing every single hero to get it serve?
Making people feel good about it? Allowing people to actualy chose to go for it or not no matter what heroes show up in the tavern in the first week?

Bandobras Took wrote: Err . . . no. I definitely could not make it into the NBA, and it doesn't matter how hard I practice.
Yeah, you'd also need to take steroids and growth hormones. :tonguehands:
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 04 Jul 2006, 10:30

Making people feel good about it? Allowing people to actualy chose to go for it or not no matter what heroes show up in the tavern in the first week?
Select a hero before game starts.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Jul 2006, 10:52

Meandor wrote: Select a hero before game starts.
That's exactly my problem. You have to chose before you even begin playing. Like it wasn't enough that some specialities are way better then others.
It doesn't make getting the U any harder, just makes you have to chose hero X. Annoying.

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 04 Jul 2006, 11:04

Well the same problem was in H3 with hero special "skills". Problem was solved in H4, but hey, H4 is source of all what is evil and must die.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 04 Jul 2006, 13:33

Meandor wrote:Well the same problem was in H3 with hero special "skills". Problem was solved in H4, but hey, H4 is source of all what is evil and must die.
I disagree with that. In H3, some specialties were better or worse, but all heroes of the same class had the same chances of getting that class's abilities.
The "same" problem in H3 would have been something like:
"solmyr cannot learn air magic"
Yes, he starts with chain lightning, but cannot improve it!

This corresponds to, say Findan, who can get all the skills for Nature's Luck, but starts with an ability that prevents this.

As for selecting heroes, 99% of the time I like to play with a random starting hero, to get extra variety. so if I want to go for an UA, then I have to rely on luck of the draw.

LordErtz
Demon
Demon

Unread postby LordErtz » 04 Jul 2006, 17:00

Guys, you seem to be arguing about different things.

I think one camp is arguing that you can choose ANY hero during most scenarios and multiplayer maps (and random maps hopefully soon). And that you choose based on whether you want to go for it or not.

Others are saying that the campaign and other scenarios and taverns do not allow you to get a hero that can get the ulti unless you are LUCKY. And these people do not wish to base their stats or their ability to get the ulti on luck...

see? Different maps, different hero options, different complaints and arguments.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 04 Jul 2006, 19:57

Qurqirish Dragon wrote:I disagree with that. In H3, some specialties were better or worse, but all heroes of the same class had the same chances of getting that class's abilities.
The "same" problem in H3 would have been something like:
"solmyr cannot learn air magic"
Yes, he starts with chain lightning, but cannot improve it!

This corresponds to, say Findan, who can get all the skills for Nature's Luck, but starts with an ability that prevents this.
No thats not what it is.Its more like "My solmyr can learn expert air magic,but I simply cannot find the orb of firmament,even though it is on the map,and thats not fair!"

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Jul 2006, 20:05

DaemianLucifer wrote:Its more like "My solmyr can learn expert air magic,but I simply cannot find the orb of firmament,even though it is on the map,and thats not fair!"
No, as everyone can get the orb if it's available. It like Solmyr can't use the orb even if it's there.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 04 Jul 2006, 20:18

ThunderTitan wrote: No, as everyone can get the orb if it's available. It like Solmyr can't use the orb even if it's there.
Not if the quest required to get it is "Solmyr is defeated".Preventing a hero from getting the ultimate is just like preventing,for example,cathrene from appearing in the tavern.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Jul 2006, 21:21

DaemianLucifer wrote: Not if the quest required to get it is "Solmyr is defeated".Preventing a hero from getting the ultimate is just like preventing,for example,cathrene from appearing in the tavern.
And you lost me. WHAT?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 05 Jul 2006, 01:13

ThunderTitan wrote:
DaemianLucifer wrote: Not if the quest required to get it is "Solmyr is defeated".Preventing a hero from getting the ultimate is just like preventing,for example,cathrene from appearing in the tavern.
And you lost me. WHAT?
Campaign heroes cannot be played on random maps by default.They have to be enabled by the mapmaker.This is the same thing.

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 09 Jul 2006, 02:57

"The map overview mode from Heroes III is unlikely to be introduced because nobody asked for it."

Wow, wow, this is truly pathetic. I haven't even really been paying close attention to the news for a while, and I always see people wondering, asking, even demanding the H3 Kingdom Overview back. I wonder if Ubi/Nival even look at this website's comments....

Also, what is this 'selling artifacts' idea? I thought that was an idea already implemented into the game. Uh oh, what else have they left out?
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Nival Answers: Part Trois

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 09 Jul 2006, 04:41

CloudRiderX wrote:
Also, what is this 'selling artifacts' idea? I thought that was an idea already implemented into the game. Uh oh, what else have they left out?
What we have is that you can buy artifacts,but you cannot sell the ones you dont need.Thats a nice idea never before implemented in heroes,so Im for it.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 09 Jul 2006, 09:21

Actually it was in H3 ;) It was horribly bugged though (you could get it to pay the price of the most valuable artifact you had for all artifacts in your backpack :| ), and never fixed by NWC.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 09 Jul 2006, 17:07

Gaidal Cain wrote:Actually it was in H3 ;) It was horribly bugged though (you could get it to pay the price of the most valuable artifact you had for all artifacts in your backpack :| ), and never fixed by NWC.
It was?Where?The only thing I remember is the artifact for XP(the sacrificial pit)

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 09 Jul 2006, 17:13

There's an Artifact Merchant in Dungeon, Tower and Conflux towns.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 09 Jul 2006, 17:20

theLuckyDragon wrote:There's an Artifact Merchant in Dungeon, Tower and Conflux towns.
Yes but there you bought artifacts,didt sell them.

Return to “News”