Nival Answers: Part Trois

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 01 Jul 2006, 21:44

Where the hell is the high score table?

doma
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby doma » 01 Jul 2006, 21:48

Where is the barbarian faction and a high score or some sort of statistic after a map?

I would like those

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 01 Jul 2006, 22:08

To DL:

It is obviuos that H2 will win. But I'll make it in Monday.

IMO, those in H3 look stupid. They don't look as if they were humans once and they look as if they came from slums, not from lords castle. But thats just IMO.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

omegaweix
Scout
Scout

Unread postby omegaweix » 01 Jul 2006, 22:22

quote: "The editor, which they will TRY to release before August..." .

Wait, before that it was like "the third patch including the editor will be released mid of July"...

"TRY to release before aug." sounds pretty much like "we are so sooo sorry, but it will come middle of august...

...I AM sorry if i sound impatient but i have waited so bloody long for the editor, please release it on time!

Please surprise me and don't delay it!!!
plastic people

silicone

never let them in your home

LordErtz
Demon
Demon

Unread postby LordErtz » 01 Jul 2006, 22:42

ahaha, selling artifacts but they "ran out of time"? Didn't they have tons of time BEFORE they released the game?

jeff

Re: Nival Answers: Part Trois

Unread postby jeff » 01 Jul 2006, 22:53

omegaweix wrote:quote: "The editor, which they will TRY to release before August..." .

Wait, before that it was like "the third patch including the editor will be released mid of July"...

"TRY to release before aug." sounds pretty much like "we are so sooo sorry, but it will come middle of august...

...I AM sorry if i sound impatient but i have waited so bloody long for the editor, please release it on time!

Please surprise me and don't delay it!!!
They have not even released the second patch, now its late do you really think the editor will be on time. To their credit though it may have many capabilities beyond what we are use to, then again maybe not
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 01 Jul 2006, 23:14

Sauron wrote:To DL:

It is obviuos that H2 will win. But I'll make it in Monday.

IMO, those in H3 look stupid. They don't look as if they were humans once and they look as if they came from slums, not from lords castle. But thats just IMO.
Of course they do.Thats why they are so great.I never really liked noble vampires that much.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 01 Jul 2006, 23:21

DaemianLucifer wrote: I never really liked noble vampires that much.
Besides any vampire that needs a sword is not a true blood sucker anyway. :o[

omegaweix
Scout
Scout

Unread postby omegaweix » 01 Jul 2006, 23:28

jeff wrote:
They have not even released the second patch, now its late do you really think the editor will be on time. To their credit though it may have many capabilities beyond what we are use to, then again maybe not
Ehm, well... right... but i still hope(d) maybe they'd release the 2nd patch during the next two or three days, so Nival's patch-release timetable wouln't be delayed that much!

And the second patch doesn't appear to be vital for my needs.... my only focus at the moment is the release of the editor!
plastic people

silicone

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 01 Jul 2006, 23:43

omegaweix wrote:Ehm, well... right... but i still hope(d) maybe they'd release the 2nd patch during the next two or three days, so Nival's patch-release timetable wouln't be delayed that much!
Despite my apparent tone I am pulling for them and the editor, they have given us a product with much promise, much unfulfilled as yet but promise none the less.

omegaweix
Scout
Scout

Unread postby omegaweix » 02 Jul 2006, 00:11

jeff wrote:
Despite my apparent tone I am pulling for them and the editor, they have given us a product with much promise, much unfulfilled as yet but promise none the less.
Indeed, guess how upset i was when i discovered the editor won't be in the final 1.0 release!

Small addendum, a few days ago i thought (or better daydreamed) "maybe the 2nd patch didn't come out because Nival messed something up and maybe they will relase a GIANT FAT HUGE patch plus editor in july, just on time....

...when i think about it now... BWAHAHAHAohmygodperhapsishouldstopsmokingsomuch...
plastic people

silicone

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 02 Jul 2006, 00:43

Sikon wrote:There is nothing wrong in giving heroes starting abilities that prevent them from reaching the ultimate. Ultimates are meant to be very hard to get, and only in ideal conditions.
The Ultimates are very hard to get as it is but to make it impossible to get them borders on lunacy.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 02 Jul 2006, 04:04

Ryder wrote:
Sikon wrote:There is nothing wrong in giving heroes starting abilities that prevent them from reaching the ultimate. Ultimates are meant to be very hard to get, and only in ideal conditions.
The Ultimates are very hard to get as it is but to make it impossible to get them borders on lunacy.
Here it is again. :snore:

As I mentioned in another thread, the real solution is simply to give all heroes all skills and subabilities and their ultimates at level one. This should keep everybody happy.

Some heroes can't get the Ultimate because of their starting skills. But is their a faction where not a single one of their heroes is capable of getting their Ultimate? Please, point it out.

Until then, it remains very difficult. You're limited in your choice of heroes, skills, and subabilities.

Big deal.

It's not impossible to get them. They haven't made it impossible to get them. They have no intention of making it impossible to get them.

If you pick a hero that can't get them, I don't think the problem's with Nival . . .
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Crosis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Crosis » 02 Jul 2006, 05:03

> There is nothing wrong in giving heroes starting abilities that prevent them from reaching the ultimate. Ultimates are meant to be very hard to get, and only in ideal conditions.

I agree with this, with just one caveat - the heroes who can't get the ultimate ability should in general be somewhat stronger than the others to make up for it. Being able to regenerate mana in combat (Nur's specialty) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for not being able to get Arcane Omniscience (especially since he starts with Mana Regeneration and Wizards tend to have high Knowledge, so he's not in any serious danger of running out of spell points anyway), for instance.

Some of the ultimate abilities don't seem like they're worth the trouble anyway - triple damage for an ability that is almost never preferable to a direct attack or spell? a Warlock without Destructive Magic in order to double the elemental bonus damage (unless you're Sinitar or Vayshan, in which case you can have both)? - and on small maps you'll have no chance of getting them in the first place.
Edited on Sat, Jul 01 2006, 23:03 by Crosis

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 02 Jul 2006, 07:08

I guess they still don't see the problem with Luck and Morale (even though most of the fans do) since they have yet to even address the problem.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 02 Jul 2006, 08:46

Since it seems I'm not part of "most of the fans", tell me: what's so bad about morale? I can agree that luck needs to be toned down, but I think morale is fine as it is.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Jul 2006, 11:49

Bandobras Took wrote: Some heroes can't get the Ultimate because of their starting skills. But is their a faction where not a single one of their heroes is capable of getting their Ultimate? Please, point it out.
Until then, it remains very difficult. You're limited in your choice of heroes, skills, and subabilities.
Really?! How about in maps where you get only 1 hero?! Or the Sylvan campaig, where Findan can't get it? What if you just don't get any heroes that can get ultimate offered to you in the tavern?

And the fact is only having some heroes be able to get it doesn't make it harder, it just forces you to use a certain hero to do it. It's just blimey stupid.

And weren't there 4 ability slots in the beta?! That tells me that this wasn't done on purpose, their just making up excuses.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

ChinaBlue
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ChinaBlue » 02 Jul 2006, 13:08

The map overview mode from Heroes III is unlikely to be introduced because nobody asked for it.
I take it a kingdom overview mode is very likely to be introduced then...:mad:

Dakobstah
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dakobstah » 02 Jul 2006, 13:53

"If you pick a hero that can't get them, I don't think the problem's with Nival . . ."

That might be true if a decent manual (and possibly a chart or two) had been shipped with the game. As it is I'd probably have to dig around on these forums for a while to even figure out what the Ultimates are and what their prereqs are (I wouldn't have even known they existed if I didn't watch this site).

Oh, and while I'm complaining, I just want to reemphasize the other posts that note that it is now July, which means they've missed yet another target date (for the late June patch). Unless the map editor is being developed by someone other than the people working on the patches, I don't see them getting it to us anytime soon. Maybe if I'm lucky I will be able to play some good coop matches on custom maps at Christmas?

I swear, this game reminds me so much of an average MMO in the way it has been released and continues to develop (or not develop). Scary.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 02 Jul 2006, 14:24

My take on the points:
Sikon wrote: The ability to sell artifacts was considered, but they ran out of time. It will possibly be implemented in the future.
I think the main thing they worried about here was that if the value of artifacts is too low, then it isn't worth the bother to sell them. If it is too high, then it can break the balance of sites that can award them (chests, shipwrecks, &c.) I don't see a problem here, but the again, since only some towns can have artifact merchants, it may artificially increase their power.
There is nothing wrong in giving heroes starting abilities that prevent them from reaching the ultimate. Ultimates are meant to be <b>very</b> hard to get, and only in ideal conditions.
This is senseless. If a hero can never get the UA because a player chose (or even was forced to choose) an incompatible skill, that's one thing. But having certain heroes start with incompatible skills is not a good idea.
No hero should (normally) start with something preventing the UA (of course, a custom map can be designed this way- I have no problem with that), and a hero should be allowed to refuse any skill on level up. If a player wants to delay getting extra skills or abilities by an extra level in the hopes of getting the UA, that's the player's choice.
The Death Knights will not return to the Necropolis town.
No problem here.
Vampires drain their victims' "vital essense" instead of blood, which explains why they can drain life from undead. In case of undead, the vital essense is the magical energy that keeps them going.
This is a poor explanation. I always considered undead to be creatures whose life-force was unnaturally locked in the body beyond death. Thus, the "magic force" is what is binding the life-energy to the creature. This would explain the life-drain as is. Their explanation, as others mentioned, still leaves the question about constructs.
It is possible that the paperdoll will be implemented later, but it isn't known for sure.
Since this is a cosmetic thing, rather than a gameplay thing, I really don't care, and this should not be prioritized.
They had ideas to implement raising zombies or ghosts instead of skeletons, and it is possible that they will implement it.
This is way too open to interpretation. Is this raising zombies / ghosts at higher necro levels, or ALWAYS raising them (and this instead of a "raise archers" ability, you would have "Raise plague zombie" or "raise spectre" ability.
In the latter case, it would greatly reduce the size of these skeleon archer stacks that form (since you could only buy them), but the balance would shift so much that I really would need to see what happens before I say if this is a good or bad thing.
If every faction has access to warror and mage hero classes, the differences between the factions and their unique abilities will have less significance.
I agree with this. In many respects I liked this from heroes 1/2 better than 3. The old "barbarian leading sorceress troops" strategy was great!
The editor, which they will try to release before August, will have many possibilities besides just creating maps. The game resources were deliberately made open for editing to encourage modding.
No comment until we have it.
Implementing a "use system font" setting is, at this point, technically difficult. Besides, the current font was suggested by Ubisoft as the one true font.
I have no problem with the font, and again this is only cosmetic, and not a high priority for me.
The ability of non-Haven factions to effectively use Haven Training will be corrected.
I assume this means for non-haven heroes to be able to train Haven troops? This removes one of the racial specials from Haven. If this is done, then other specials need to be allowed for non-native heroes as well.
For example, any hero leading inferno troops should be able to have imps/familiars gate (teir 2 and higher would still need gating skill)
The first aid tent only heals a limited number of times to discourage the player from skipping turns just to resurrect some creatures.
This could easily be fixed by having the tent have both a "cure" and a "ressurect" skill. I cures by default, and has infinite uses, but can only ressurrect 3 times per battle.
Alternate methods of "troops delivery" are in development.
I assume this means caravans in some form. Although it might be an ability to summon creatures from more than the closest town. Need to wait and see here.
The map overview mode from Heroes III is unlikely to be introduced because nobody asked for it.
The "map overview" is not the "kingdom overview"
The map overview was the screen where you could check what faction / hero / starting bonus all players had after starting. The current setup, with just the quest log is more than enough in this respect.

Return to “News”