The Diary of Yog the Barbarian

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

The Diary of Yog the Barbarian

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 06 Jan 2006, 13:54

For those of you unfamilliar with this,here are the original Creator's Notes: This game has been approved. It is the Diary of Yog the Barbarian. Everyone can write a daily log of Yog's activities (keep it brief like a journal). Day one is the day that Yog starts his journey from Bracada to Krewlod. Although some of Yog's history is well documented take poetic license and run with it!

Character introduction on post #9.

Prologue

Game Biography:

Yog is a living contradiction. He may have the blue skin of his genie mother, but he has the battle fury and strength of his Barbarian father. At one time, he considered following his mother's path and embracing a life of magic, but his passion for warfare proved stronger. Yog studied for years with the Wizards of Bracada, but he was often found reading texts on war rather than those on magic. The Duke of Krewlod offered him a military command, allowing Yog to happily combine his knowledge of magic and war. As the barbarian of Krewlod, he was one of the four heroes who built the Angelic Alliance sword to stop Sandro. His test to prove himself as a barbarian was to actually take apart the Angelic Alliance.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

And here you can read what the log looked like before.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 06 Jan 2006, 13:55

This is the last log entry.Feel free to continue.

Day 20-something.

Not sure wnere I am. It’s darp and I have trouble writin8.
Feeling nauseous. Maybe that’s becayse I’m stitched to Filthiman’s sleewe.

No. I think Curtsi poisomed me. Maybe Bobh had somethin todo witn it as well. His enthusiasn was a bit suspocicous. Hmmm.

That’ll comelater. First I need to gel out of her! It appears i’m in some kind of small cell. I canhear Bolo cryingfor help somewhere near. He’s porabbly in a cell as well.

Hope an oppurtinity to escaep comes soon.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 06 Jan 2006, 14:01

Day 26 (if I'm correct ... ouch headache)

Filithimar was allowed to bath today, I managed to get away while he was bathing. If only I had some kind of horn, I could summon Filthimar to me, not to mention Maharal, Bolo, Pippy, Stipa, the red dwarves, Bohb (if he hasn't turned to the other side) and Herman and ... well I can't remember the rest... I'm still empty in my head. But here in the forest I'm gaining streenght - Some herbs and a spring help to keep me alive. Soon I'll be strong enough to continue my quest.

Yog
Grah!

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Character Index

Unread postby gravyluvr » 06 Jan 2006, 17:38

Character References... (Since I can no longer edit the old topic)

KEEP CHECKING HERE - THIS POSTS GETS UPDATED
Last updated Month 2, Day 30
Bolded members are in the current party...

I am Yog.

Maharal - Is the bronze golem that previously served as the alarm for stolen items from the Bracada library.

Vltava - Destroyed in the Battle for Harmondale on Month 2, Day 23. He was one of the clay golems that patched holes in University buildings.

Bolo - Is the halfling that stayed

Pippy - Is the halfling that left (no longer in party)

As I say. When you look at the halfling glass. One halfling is empty and the other is fool.

Brigimar - Is the quartergiant that stocked the heavy items at the market (he's the quiet one)

Filthimar - Is also a quartergiant that used to guard the Bracada library at night (he's the smelly one)

Garich - (known to our group as Graddow) Is the green skin sent from Krewlod to follow our every move.

Maharal and Vltava were with me since I left the University. Bolo, Pippy, Brigimar, Filthimar joined on the second day. Pippy left. Graddow is not in the group but follows it.

Stipa - The dwarf giant met in the rocky area neer Outer Bracada's Post (see below) (day 9)

Bhob - posed as a peasent (with Harmon and Dale) in our army for two weeks (days 10-24), kidnapped Clare, sacked Harmondale, and is loose in the North.

Harmon and Dale - Both are Dead. Posed as peasents in our army for two weeks (days 10-24). Rallied troops and settled the "Harmondale" castle. Both were killed and hung from the two towers now known as Harmondale on Month 2, Day 24.

Six Dwarves (Grum, Frum, Roger, Boger, Ornag and Doriun) joined on day 16

Curtis the Cook joined on day 23

Clare joined and went missing on day 24 but was rescued

Three Mini-Dragon Golems joined on Month 2, Day 1

Sparks Burnkindle - Contractor in Stone City met on Month 2, Day 1

Jobbers Thain - Our Account manager at Mineral Wealth in Stone City met on Month 2, Day 1

Gregory Gizmo, an armorer and expert repairman, joined our army in Stone City on Month 2, Day 6

Chuck Falconeye, an extpert spearman, joined our army in Stone City on Month 2, Day 6

Amantar Kershalt and nine Rock Trolls (used to be twelve) also joined our army on Day 6 of Month 2. Three perished in the Battle for HArmondale on Month 2, Day23. Amantar currently serves as commander of the Bridge at Harmondale.
Last edited by Anonymous on 04 Mar 2006, 14:24, edited 5 times in total.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Day 27

Unread postby gravyluvr » 06 Jan 2006, 17:56

Day 27 (Bolo confirmed)

This morning I saw something popping out of the ground in my cell. I started stepping on it until I could make out one of the Digger's voices.

Digger? You bet. I had never been so happy to see a Red Dwarf!

Digger jumped in and filled me in on everything the Dwarves had known. All six of them and Bolo were holding Curtis.

No sign of Bohb or the peasants, but Stipa and the quartergiants were out looking for me and are to be camping where I picked up Squish.

I kept trying to tell them that I had been wondering around the woods with herbs and spices trying to recover but they insisted that I was hallucinating and that I must have been in this same cell for three days.

We were all able to climb back through the hole the Diggers made (even big enough for me) and they took me back to where Curtis was.

At first I demanded squish so I could end his life, but bolo let out a screech and said I needed to listen to them. Clare was missing. Curtis swore she could not have done these horrible things. They weren't quite sure but they could swear that they saw Bohb duck out before breakfast.

Bolo thinks he saw Bohb talking with the Green Shaddow. “Bohb was cavorting with Graddow I tell you.”

I’ve decided not to kill Curtis yet. He sounded honest. But more importantly... I’m hungry.

Tonight we will meet back up with Stipa and the quartergiants and tomorrow we’ll make way for Stone City. I think we’ll find some answers there.

Note to self: Crystal and root stockpile look lighter than on day 24. Take an inventory.

Yog

JonahFalcon
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby JonahFalcon » 06 Jan 2006, 18:19

Does anyone know where Cram is (the developer he's named after, that is.) I haven't seen him in over a decade.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 06 Jan 2006, 18:27

Day 28

Week 4

Ah things seem to be at ordered again... Bohb is still missing, but We met up with the Quarter Giants. Filthimar stinks like always, and stipa is still as big.

Digger, and the other red dwarves led us to Stone city. What will happen there?

As for the inventory:
23 Crystals
2 sticks
1 Squish <it's mine, my own, my precious>

Yog
Grah!

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Day 29

Unread postby gravyluvr » 06 Jan 2006, 23:51

Day 29

The strangest thing happened today. All of the sudden all of these imps kept coming up through the ground. They clustered into groups and started roaming around aimlessly.

Many just started attacking our party.

Bolo was hitting them with amazing precision and Stipa was swatting them like flies.

Filthimar and Brigimar were jumping around and shaking the earth with every swat of their giant forearms. The Red Dwarves were hoping around with axes and shovels takeing out as many as possible.

Squish was a nice demon red by the end of the fight.

Yog

Not to self: These Red Dwarves need better weapons. Shovels and Picaxes just won't cut it.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 07 Jan 2006, 15:11

Day 30

I never thought I'd last this long...

We got to Stone City today, and I went directly to the Blacksmith, we have to wait 3 days, and then their mini-dragon golems would be here. Maharal looked forward on having some company.

Squish is deep red, and everyone fears it. B-) I like my squish.

Bolo and Pippy were still looking for imps, but I told them not to worry anymore. Our bag of crystal has slimmed down a bit, for those dragon golems.

Our new inventory:
2 Crystals
2 sticks
and bolo found some gold: 10 goldpieces

I haven't seen Bohb just yet...

Yog
Grah!

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 07 Jan 2006, 18:26

Day 30-evening

Something amazing just happened while Filthimar was bathing at the inn this evening. Besides the fact that everyone had to be evacuated for the period, after everything was over with and I could finally go back to my room, I smelled a certain scent coming from the bathroom. Asking Bolo if everything had been cleaned, he answered affirmatively, which really helped me summon up the courage to go there and check for myself...

As it turned out, Filthimar's... um... debris made a reaction with the Stone City water and after processes too unpleasant to detail here became mercury! I immediately brought my alchemist's tools to collect the shiny beads of liquid silver from the bathtub, and after three or four hours of painstaking work, I managed to gather a significant quantity of it.

So now our inventory includes half a pot of mercury!

Yog
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 08 Jan 2006, 10:58

Day 31

I visited the blacksmith today, he told me to quit bugging him and the the mini dragon golems would be here tomorrow. That was after I showed him squish up close.

Back at the hotel Filtimar was in his room, having a conversation with Stipa. I asked them were Brigimar was, they said he was with Maharal guarding the library.

So off I went to the library, finding Maharal and Brigimar guarding it, Brigimar even had some bird poo on his head! I though since I was here, I'd better get some learning done and so I went inside and grabbed the first warfare book I got, all of a sudden I heard a little victory music and the librarian said I had gained a level and learned the Tactics skill.

Libraries are good for something... Then I was eager to learn more - the librarian told me I could get advanced Tactics here .. That sounds cool. So while I was studing one of the gargoyles suddenly attacked me! I managed to destroy it, after all; I was travelling with several clay golems. During the fight I saw a Graddow were the statue was supposed to be, he ran away quicky.

Yog
Grah!

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Month 2, Day 1

Unread postby gravyluvr » 08 Jan 2006, 21:55

Month 2, Day 1

(Gamemaker's note: Pippy is no longer with the party)

Three mini-dragon golems showed up today (A gift from the Red Dwarf Mining Company). They also gave me a sack filled with crystal and a message to see if we could arrange for delivery of a dozen shovels, six pickaxes and four wheel barrels to be sent back to the mines.

I met with Sparks Burnkindle today and decided to bring Stipa and Bolo with me. I decided to send the dwarves to The Balanced Axe to have a look at their weaponry. The rest are all accompanying Curtis to Grogg’s Grog where he is inquiring about some chops for dinner.

Sparks Burnkindle is an imposing figure and he certainly commands the respect around Stone City. In addition to being the most important man to this city’s livelihood, he also is the most respected. He has a dedicated staff at Mineral Wealth (Stone City’s Bank) that do nothing other than handle accounts for all contracts backed by Sparks. No one in this city will even deal with me until after I met with Sparks.

With all of this you expect Sparks to be extremely pompous and unapproachable but nothing could be further from the truth. After a ten minute conversation with Sparks, I felt like I’d known him for years. He told me to see Jobber Thain over at Mineral Wealth and that he’d open a trading account with me. He also told me that Jobber would be able to convert any and all of the crystal (and even the mercury) that I had into any other mineral.

When I inquired about any outstanding contracts he’d be willing to put out to us he asked about my party again. All he asked was “Have you ever met a troglodyte?” I knew a little about them. I can figure out the rest.

Sparks says there are Troglodytes infesting the tunnels beneath the city. If we can get rid of all the Trogs, we’ll get paid for the contract. Since there were two previous bidders that failed to ever come back, the contract also carries 15% of their fortunes which are being held by Sparks at Mineral Wealth.

Everything was fine until he called out with information about the second contractors…

“The last group to accept the contract was three peasants that came into town two days ago. One claimed to be an expert magician.”

After a quick trip to Mineral Wealth (Jobber Thain seams to have a good head on his shoulders and handled our transactions very efficiently), we stopped off at The Balanced Axe to pick up the dwarves. We won’t have our items back from Mineral Wealth until tomorrow so it would be best to get a good meal and a good night’s sleep.

After another great meal, I resigned to my diary to write this entry.

We should use tomorrow to buy supplies to take on the Trogs. I also promised to try to find out what happened to Clare for Curtis. The rumors are that she may have arrived with the peasants but had not been seen since. Nobody actually saw her but they were carrying a large load that could have been a woman.

Too many things – Too little time. Maybe I should use some of our wealth to rent a house here in the city. My men look tired. And so am I.

Yog

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 09 Jan 2006, 09:05

Month 2 Day 2

Today we picked up some equipment, and frankly it looked fine. After a good breakfast from a little depressed Curtis, we got on and went to the sewers after a quick visit to the library to pck up Brigimar and Maharal.

The mini-dragon-golems were now under Maharal's command, he's quite bright for a golem. I wonder if he's ever been to Oz...

In the sewers we quickly found the Troglodytes, who where reaking havoc. One guy was blasting ice bolts and fire bolt everywhere, and was as sane as a door! So squish helped me out, and we started to take out Troglodytes, hardy creatures for their level.

After a good hunt through the sewers we had them all defeated, except for that mad one, cept calling himself Thelonious or something. Filthimar rased his arm, and the smell that came off didn't seem to bother him - while we were barely concius. (note to self, bathe Filthimar once more)

So we head on and we took him out after a struggle. We couldn't take him along - the moral penalty would be to great, but he wanted to. I locked him up in prison.

The dragon golems were a little dirty when we where back, so we polished them and I went to Sparks Burnkindle to get my account. Once I had that, I bought a nice little place at the edge of the city, with a look out tower.

The men have come in and settled down as well.

That about wraps it up for today.

Yog
Grah!

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Month 2, Day 3

Unread postby gravyluvr » 09 Jan 2006, 17:01

Month 2, Day 3

Jobbers came by this morning to finalize the lease on the house I've procured for the troops. At 200gp a week, it is quite expensive but Sparks has put 8,000gp into our account so I think it is well worth it.

Bolo borrowed the Dragon Golems and actually sold rides to little kids in the city. Sometimes Bolo is so creative and other times just silly. This silly escapade just made our troop 80gp. Not shabby for a little wimp.

By vote we've decided that Filthimar will still need to sleep outside so we will still be able to get our security deposit back on the house. Brigimar and Stipa have also agreed to sleep outside since neither of them will fit comfortably through the door. I set Stipa, the dwarves, and quartergiants to design a proper cabin so that they will be comfortable and they are also building a grill behind the house for Curtis.

The dwarves called the cellar upon entrance into the dwelling. Bolo said he's be comfortable in the smallest of bedrooms. He actually called the closet as his room. I took the suite, Curtis took the maid's room which still leaves about five rooms available.

Today alone, I have received words from over twenty citizens wishing to join our party but I've decided that we'll need a week to rest and recover. Most of the dwarves have very deep cuts and bruises from the melee and Brigimar looks like he's favoring his left just a little. Besides, why pay for someone to lounge around while we heal. Maybe I'll conduct interviews over the next few days. It'll also be a good opportunity to find out more about where Clare might be.

I've arranged delivery of supplies to the Red Dwarf Mining Company with Jobbers and have signed a contract for weaponry for the Dwarves. Also I've changed the name of the account from "Blue man with Red Dwarves, and Big and Smelly Monsters" to "Yog's Blue, Red and Big."

I'm also trying to figure out how to divide shares... I know that Maharal and Vltava will give their holding directly to me. Also, I think that I need to give some shares to the Bracada Wizards, the Red Dwarf Mining Co. and it probably won't hurt to either give shares or bribes to both Jobbers and Sparks, but I'm still undecided.

YBRB Shares (rough ideas): 100 to start and just add shares
Yog 30
Red Dwarf Mining Company (including dwarves and MD golems) 20
Bracada Wizards (including Maharal and Vltava) 10
Stipa 10
Filthimar 8
Brigimar 8
Bolo 5
Curtis 4
Sparks 3
Jobbers 2

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 09 Jan 2006, 18:59

Month 2 Week 1 Day 4

I thought I'd get some skills at banking today, since I can't get a reasonable share divinsion. So I went to the library, and asked if there were any. The Liberarian helped me with a nobilty book, after that I got an estate book. After hearing the little victory music twice I knew I had the skills. That final victory music was a little longer and a loud cracking voice, even lower than Brigimar's said: 'You are now a Lord Commander'

I liked that voice, and that title. So I went back happely. When I was home I say that my wallet had grown a bit, there was more gold in it, than before! Must have been that estate thing.

Anyway I went on to the market, and bought some stone and wood to built the cabin from.

Yog
Grah!

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Month 2, Day 5

Unread postby gravyluvr » 10 Jan 2006, 13:43

Month 2, Day 5

Received a letter from Myrini today...
Yog,

I hope you know what you're doing. The Wizards have been meeting behind closed doors every other day it seems. The rumor mill says that they are meeting to discuss your group. I keep asking Telthamyr what they're meeting about but all he tells me is that you are alright and currently en route to Stone City. I do hope this letter reaches you.

I've been promoted at the Library to Mage Class V and just received orders to make haste to Camp Steppenwolf. I'll be off before you get this so if you write to me send it to Camp Steppenwolf. I'll be on the MCR Flyway for most the day tomorrow but should be in Camp for at least a month.

Your mother asked me to send you these cookies (see attached flask). She said if you use your Dessert Wand from 18 inches away it should be good for three dozen, She really misses you but said she understands what you need to do. She had a beautiful lecture at the Library the other other day on Breakfast Wands. I wish my mother was the Supreme Chef.

Do be careful. I miss you. I'm blue without you ;|

Myrini
I'm almost jealous of her. I've ridden the Magic Carpet Ride Flyway one time on my mother's Solomon's Special. The view is outstanding and you can really rip your ears off in the right wind.

Bolo found the cookies. Okay. Everyone found the cookies. They were good. I think I'll send a note back to Bracada for 12 dozen. Stipa could eat a Gingerbread house (a real one).

I think one more good day of rest is just what we need.

Tomorrow I've asked Stipa to help me interview potential candidates.

Yog

Note: Send 12 viles of Troglodyte's Blood to mother. It'll fetch far more in Bracada than here. They have no idea here what some of these things are worth.

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Month 2, Day 6

Unread postby gravyluvr » 17 Jan 2006, 04:15

Month 2, Day 6

A few of the locals that had obviously had too long of a night drinking at the Grog had worked up the courage to come to our house for an interview but none of them showed the fortitude that I need. One of them did impress Stipa with a loud belch and Stip himself remarked that the fellow by the name of Stinky Pete could give Filthimar a run for smelliest of the troop. We both decided that a polite “We’ll call you” was in order and we sent them along their way (probably right back to the grog).

Around mid-morning Balan Gizmo’s cousin, Gregory Gizmo stepped in with several armor items that he had repaired in his uncle’s shop. Unlike the local braggarts, Balan was more impressive and showed up with a skill that we were sorely lacking… someone who could repair armor, shields and helmets. In addition, Balan says that he can make weapons from raw materials. His work looks good. I asked him what his expectations were. Gregory wants to earn enough money to open a shop like his Uncle’s shop. He says that although he is indebted to his uncle that Balan’s son Bart is in line to take over the shop and that he won’t truly have a business of his own in Stone City.

After several other locals came in with varying degrees of skill and character Seline’s brother, Chuck Falconeye, showed up with a beautiful array of spears. In the back, Falconeye showed of his skills hitting every target at mid and long range. In addition he performed a melee routine that had Bolo jumping and demanding more. Although I think it would be a little humorous to have someone throwing spears named Chuck, I can not ignore Falconeye’s talents and desires.

Around mid-day, we broke for lunch which I had invited Dalin Keenedge, the master axesmithe of Stone City, to attend. He asked if I had received any of the rock trolls in my interviews. After I told him I had not, he suggested I meet with a young leader by the name of Amantar Kershalt who led a small group of about a dozen Rock Trolls that were constantly looking for adventures. I told him I would but that we might need to set something up for the next day.

At the end of the lunch, everyone agreed that we should invite Gregory Gizmo and Chuck Falconeye to join our group and that meeting with Amantar Kershalt about his band of Rock Trolls would be worthwhile. I sent word with Vltava to Amantar requesting a meeting.

To my surprise when Vltava returned, Amantar was with him. We spoke for hours. Amantar reminds me of me. Although he was raised to be either a teacher or trainer, his desire for glory an honor brought him to Stone City where he has quickly gained reputation for a fierce but fair leader of rock trolls. I’m not sure the Bracada Wizards would understand, but there is just something about Amantar and the Rock Trolls. I can see their hearts. They are true.

All this sitting and talking has made me more tired than running and fighting. I don’t know how Telthamyr does it.

Yog

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 17 Jan 2006, 15:12

Month 2, Day 7

Oh, yeah! Back in the ring and kicking butt!

After all that sitting around doing nothing, I feel great just mindlessly fighting and wrestling our mercenaries. We've been going at it for two hours now, doing bets as well as venting frustration. I've done rather well - I'm up fifteen coins.

I've heard of a great fighter among the mercenaries, and I wanted to meet him in the ring, but for some reason he wasn't here today. I'm hoping for another chance later - maybe even tomorrow, if I'm still here.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 17 Jan 2006, 19:28

Month 2, Week 2, Day 1

It's the week of the golems, all dwellings increase - a voice said loud over my head. I was at the market, seeing if that wrestler was here, but he wasn't. So I got some supplies, and went home. Then I saw there were 2 more golems there than when I had left. Mmm, not to bad.

I organised my army, and left today. We bathed Filithmar at the latest possible moment, not to be troubled by his stench for as long as possible. Stipa and Brigimar thought we should take along enough soap to wash him with, they had to share a tent with him - poor guys.

Then we went on our way. Everyone was packed with a heavy backpack - but it was less, because those mini-dragongolems had mini trunks, were luggage could be put in.

I made sure I was the one leading the way - so today we got exactly where we were headed, seeing golems along the way. We took them along.

We still haven't seen Bohb, and Bolo says it for the better anyway. Curtis is still not over Clare. Maybe those two have run off together.

When we set up camp, Maharal was gettign a little rusty. All the birdpoo from guarding the library had to be washed off - and we did that with water, turned out you have to clean golems with mercury. I wonder if we can get him fixed sooner or later, or else he'll have to fit in the trunk and wait till we get to another city.

Yog
Grah!

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 17 Jan 2006, 21:45

Day 1, afternoon

[sidenote] I just remembered we have half a cauldron of mercury from that wacky reaction that took place in the water that Filthimar bathed in a while ago. I'll have to find it and hmm... maybe convince Stipa and Brigimar to make some more...
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Return to “Campfire”