The "I'm learning" thread

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Jun 2006, 17:55

Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:*cough cough* double posting...errm..*cough cough*... :D
Hes cunning,thats why he always gets away with it :devious: :devil:

Cunning Death
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Cunning Death » 20 Jun 2006, 17:57

Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:*cough cough* double posting...errm..*cough cough*... :D
just wanted to merge them by deleting one of them but i couldn't delete because someone (dunno who ;| ) posted a reply
A kind admin would merge it for me, I know

as it seems quantum mechanics and particle physics are far more simple than forum posting :|
warning! there might be documented features in Heroes V
Water Polo European Championships Hajrá magyarok!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Jun 2006, 18:09

Cunning Death wrote:as it seems quantum mechanics and particle physics are far more simple than forum posting :|
Nah,its not.You just have to open your mind,free yourself of irelevant things such as letters and meanings :devil:

Xenofex.XVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Xenofex.XVII » 20 Jun 2006, 19:04

Finished 11th grade. Working now. ;|
It is time to stop believing and start understanding. - Rael

Cunning Death
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Cunning Death » 20 Jun 2006, 19:19

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Cunning Death wrote:as it seems quantum mechanics and particle physics are far more simple than forum posting :|
Nah,its not.You just have to open your mind,free yourself of irelevant things such as letters and meanings :devil:
can I keep words in my seemingly unadept mind? :baby:

@reynaert
@Kalah
all my respect is yours
I'm unable to learn such stuff, date-heaps and odd languages.... not my style

@Gaidal Cain
you seem to be learning physics-related stuff... :handshake: my humble self is also involved in similar (odd? mad? only for outsiders :D) sciences. the big difference is, that I have the hardest exam left... (topics range from QM and Dirac-equation to bose-einstein condesation)

@Milla
I could do this all in one single and shining post :proud:

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Jun 2006, 19:30

Cunning Death wrote: can I keep words in my seemingly unadept mind? :baby:
Embrace the marvel of a fog seller :devious: :devil:
Cunning Death wrote: @Milla
I could do this all in one single and shining post :proud:
:applause: Good job! :tsup:

Cunning Death
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Cunning Death » 20 Jun 2006, 19:36

DaemianLucifer wrote::applause: Good job! :tsup:
well.... er.... hmmm.... errr.... thanks
it's time to beat your 5k :devil: :D

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 20 Jun 2006, 19:50

I just went on summer break, but whe I get back in the fall I plan on rolling up my sleeves and taking some more english oriented classes and the like. Hopefully a foreign language, but who knows.

And for the record, all this discussion about physics has literally killed me. I have never been too great at math(is that a good excuse... ;| ) and find such discussions to be at best baffling.
Hell has frozen over...

Cunning Death
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Cunning Death » 20 Jun 2006, 19:58

Derek wrote: just went on summer break, but whe I get back in the fall I plan on rolling up my sleeves and taking some more english oriented classes and the like. Hopefully a foreign language, but who knows.

And for the record, all this discussion about physics has literally killed me. I have never been too great at math(is that a good excuse... :dontknow: ) and find such discussions to be at best baffling.
Sorry, didn't mean it :) lucky you... that's a good and healthy excuse, I mean math's just ruining you, isn't it DL? no one in his (her for ladies :) do you see how pc I am?) right mind is studying pure phys/math :devious:

btw. are you actually in a college or uni?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Jun 2006, 20:08

Cunning Death wrote:Sorry, didn't mean it :) lucky you... that's a good and healthy excuse, I mean math's just ruining you, isn't it DL? no one in his (her for ladies :) do you see how pc I am?) right mind is studying pure phys/math :devious:
It wasn pure maths.I had physics,chemistry,history,astronomy,geography,sociology,4 computer subjects(or was it five?),and just five maths to counter that :devil:
Cunning Death wrote: btw. are you actually in a college or uni?
If you are asking me,Im not sure.I always translated it as a college,although it might be a university asd well.But I think that college is the right translation.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 20 Jun 2006, 22:23

Cunning Death wrote: you seem to be learning physics-related stuff... :handshake: my humble self is also involved in similar (odd? mad? only for outsiders :D) sciences. the big difference is, that I have the hardest exam left... (topics range from QM and Dirac-equation to bose-einstein condesation)
They call it "Engineering physics", but that's just a cover to get more students studying pure physics. Or something like that- you can turn out as an Engineer or scientist, depending on what courses you choose. I'm probably going to end up taking courses that would make me a Condensed Matter physicist.

DL: I believe that inthe US, a college is a university with dorms on campus. In the UK, a college is a sort of society that organizes students going to the same university. My school get's translated to "University", when it's in fact a "Hochschule", so I think that's what you should use. Not that it matters much.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 20 Jun 2006, 22:33

I'm not sure what is/isn't supposed to be correct, but here in the US 'college' and 'university' generally get used interchangeably. Although to me, college seems to be a bit more of a generic term for any kind of education beyond high school.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Jun 2006, 22:52

Weird. Here you get into College without taking an entry test, just with ur highschool grades, study for 3 years, and then gratuate to 2 more years to the normal University (which correspond to year 3 & 4 for people that did take a test). And apparently college profesors don't take as much advantage of students as the university ones (finely punctuate by how upset those college guys were when hey got burned. Man, I couldn't stop laughting, poor guys :devil: ).

Ofr course their changed that this year, but it doesn't affect me so i don't know exactly what changed except instead of 4yrs + 1year for Master became 3yrs + 2yrs for the one with the test.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 20 Jun 2006, 22:56

ThunderTitan wrote: Ofr course their changed that this year, but it doesn't affect me so i don't know exactly what changed except instead of 4yrs + 1year for Master became 3yrs + 2yrs for the one with the test.
Bologna Process? We get that here as well.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 20 Jun 2006, 23:11

The difference between college and university in the states is somewhat trivial, as they are both the same "level" as far as undergrads are concerned. The difference is mostly size. Universities are usually bigger. Colleges are small. The technical difference is that Universities also have graduate schools, law schools, medical schools, and etc., associated with them. Colleges typically don't. Thus for undergraduate degrees, there is no difference except your personal preference. For graduate degrees, you must (typically) go to a university.

(To add to the confusion: Usually when you are in a University, you belong to a certain College or School - i.e., I am in the School of Arts and Sciences at the University of Pennsylvania; the medical school here is called the College of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. Colleges themselves - undergraduate ones - do not have such subdivisions. The subdivisions and colleges basically are distinct by allocations of funding and where you get your degree from, if that makes any sense. )
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Jun 2006, 23:18

Gaidal Cain wrote: Bologna Process? We get that here as well.
No, it's called the "experiment everything on this generation syndrome". I still don't get how they missed us this time. But thank God they did, cause I heard they still have the same number of classes as us, they just take them in 3 years instead of 4.

Over here it's Academy/University (i don't think the difference is anything more then superficial), which has Faculties, and even a College, which I presume was it's own Faculties.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 20 Jun 2006, 23:29

ThunderTitan wrote: No, it's called the "experiment everything on this generation syndrome". I still don't get how they missed us this time. But thank God they did, cause I heard they still have the same number of classes as us, they just take them in 3 years instead of 4.
They barely missed me (for once) as well. Good thing too, because it means I can get a "real" Master of Science, and not just something that's been translated into Master. (Confused yet?). Anyway, they're chaging things to 3+2 years as well, and they're requiring that you're doing a sort of Thesis, equivalent to ten credit points at the end of the first three years, which means they had to cut down on the amount of courses. (one credit poit is supposedly one week of stduies, but don't get me started on it, as I'm constantly taking the same courses as people from other educations who get more points for the same course). They also want to make all courses to be worth five points, which is pretty insane if you ask me.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Jun 2006, 23:55

At least they cut down the number of courses. Here they'd rather add more of them, no matter how loosely related to what ur studying they are.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 21 Jun 2006, 00:08

The thing here is that we have a faculty(the one I translate into college)and every faculty belongs to a certain university.University of belgrade,for example,covers a lot of different colleges,from mathematics to economics,to political sciences.Thats why I dont use university,because we already have that word,and I dont use faculty,because it means the teaching staff in english.

As for the Bologna Process,we have a very nice mix going on my college:Same old grading system,but with each subject being just a one term subject.Which is great,because we had some 4 terms subjects(you study it two years before you can take an exam from the WHOLE SUBJECT),while there were even 7 terms subjects on some other colleges.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 21 Jun 2006, 01:50

here in oz we have a similar system to what corribus described, except that the "degrees" from a college are not worth the same as what can be awarded from the universities

Return to “Campfire”