About hero in battle and retaliation

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

About hero in battle and retaliation

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 11 Jun 2006, 13:17

Two of my proposals merged.I know some of you know them already,but those that came soon havent heard them,so here they are:

1)Heroes role in battle:

The HIII system(and the previous two)made heroes just like a special move your units can do,and they were invunerable,and could give insane bonuses to your creatures.Way too strong.The HIV system made them more vulnerable,but it was so unbalanced that you could slaughter whole armies using just a single hero.Unbalanced as well.HV system is kind of a mix between these two:Though heroes cannot act at any time,and though they kill more higher levels then lower levels(which is logical,but unbalanced),they again give insane bonuses to creatures,and are unbalanced and immortal.

So heres how I think it can be fixed,feel free to add:

There are three hero types:Mages,fighters and tacticians(or supporters).This would primarily depend on their skills.Each hero would be weak on its own.Something like a single creature from level 1 to 4(depending on his level and abilities,of course),so having lone heroes on the BF is not a good idea.But,each hero could be added to a stack.This would give him the much needed protection,yet still leave him vulnerable.Heroes defense and attack would add just to that stack hes asigned to,and killing the hero would greatly weaken that stack.

Fighters would have great attack and defense,and high HP,so the stack they are asigned to would become quite impresive.

Mages would have low attack and defense,and low HP,so they should be asigned to big and fast weak stacks,so they could cast more often and live longer.

Tacticians would have average attack and defense,and average HP,but they would boost all the creatures attack,defense,speed and initiative.

When the stack that has a hero receives damage(acording to its defense value),it would receive the full damage,and a part of it would go to hero,depending on the creature number.

Example:A hero with deffence 3 is added to 100 imps with defence 2,thus making the stacks defence 5.They got attacked with a creature with attack 5,so they receive no extra damage.The damage done is 100,so if a single imp has 4 HP,25 imps would die,and the hero would receive 1 damage.But,if said hero was asigned to 1 titan with 43 defence and 300 HP,that stack would receive just 25 damage(considering that 75% is the greatest damage reduction),but the hero would receive 25 damage as well.

Of course,this would need a bit of tweaking and balancing,but thats the basic idea.Furthermore,heroes initiative and speed should influence the stacks initiative and speed,but in a 10 to one manner.If the heros initiative is greater then the stacks by 10,that stack would receive one point bonus.If it is lower by 10,it would receive one point penalty.

This also opens its way towards the hero slayer creature ability(for assasins,for examle)that would allow the creature to deal all the damage just to hero,and not the stack,negating the stacks defense.

2)Attack speed:

We had both simultanous retaliation and turn retaliation.Simultaneous retaliation is better,but it still suffers from retaliation stealing(one peasant attacking 10 devils and making the unable to retaliate against the 20 horsmen that would attack imidiately after it).There are several ways of fixing this,and here is mine proposal:

Each creature would have another stat asigned to it,the attack speed.It should be somewhere around 20 for most creatures.When one stack attacks the other,the stack with the higher attack speed strikes first.If their attack speeds are the same,they strike simultaneously.Furthermore,the defenders attack speed decreases by 10,and it stays like that until it acts again(or untill attacked again).If the attack speed gets reduced to 0,that creature wont retaliate until it acts again.

Some of the creature abilities that would come out of this would be unchangable attack speed(griffons),slower attack speed reduction,etc.There could also be spells that would increase/decrease attack speed of the creatrures.This way you wouldnt be able to steal the retaliation right away,but just make sure that your more valuable stack hits first once it attacks.
Last edited by DaemianLucifer on 18 Nov 2006, 02:03, edited 5 times in total.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Jun 2006, 13:55

I don't like having the hero attached to a stack. The rest of the stuff sounds OK though.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 25 Jun 2006, 06:00

DLucifer, I don't think what you propose can be implemented in a patch, as it would likely require coding from scratch and thus a new game. So, don't keep your hopes high.

What could be implemented in a patch however, is hero classes, like those in HoMM IV.. It is just one more nice thing they didn't include in HoMM V...

Indral
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Indral » 25 Jun 2006, 08:26

i like it just the way it is. ;)

reynaert
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby reynaert » 25 Jun 2006, 08:34

personally, I found the advanced classes rewarding- I mean, who has had some of the lesser known advanced classes? By now, I've played with all perks and feats, so I felt something for the homm4 thing

As with the heroes in homm5... They can always do damage, but they're invulnerable. I feel like it wouldn't be a bad idea if they can get affected by certain spells- slow, haste... Everything that affects damage and initiative.

Apart from that, give heroes the same magic resistance as their creatures, and an added 20 or 30 percent, I don't think it's overpowered, but it could get those heroes away from godrole, and add some more fun in heroes vs heroes battles, other then getting them botchered by that pesky ranger you can't hit but whop doesn't fail to make your black dragon stack dead.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Jun 2006, 09:51

cornellian wrote:DLucifer, I don't think what you propose can be implemented in a patch, as it would likely require coding from scratch and thus a new game. So, don't keep your hopes high.

What could be implemented in a patch however, is hero classes, like those in HoMM IV.. It is just one more nice thing they didn't include in HoMM V...
I know it wont be in a patch,it was just my idea of improving the current system.And I would be suprised if its implemented in any future heroes too.And I dont think anything affecting gameplay that much like hero classes will be in a patch or even a sequel.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”