World Cup 2006

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

World Cup 2006

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 09 Jun 2006, 01:39

It is here. Everybody has been waiting for. 4 years, 1 month, 32 nations, 64 matches, 1 winner!! :hoo: :hoo: :hoo:

At this point, lots of football fans are all hyped up, lots of business for pubs and bistros, and lots of conversation on 1 topic. So I think it's safe to open 1 thread to discuss everything about it.

World Cup 2006, Germany. So it begins...
Round Table Olympics '07 Image

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 09 Jun 2006, 03:08

whoops ... didn't see this thread when i opened mine .... my bad

i'm going for netherlands and australia

bring it on!!!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 09 Jun 2006, 05:52

A brazil fan to the end!Although Ill probably watch just the finale(the rest of the games I dont find that exciting).

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 09 Jun 2006, 06:24

sacrilege!!!

i will prolly watch every australian and dutch game, plus the semi's and final, and probably every brazil game as a bonus!!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 09 Jun 2006, 06:39

Id rather play footbal then watch it.Especially when this countries team plays.Funny thing is that we are world basketball champions,waterpolo champions,excelent in voleyball,yet the most money goes to footbal players,that are pure crap.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 09 Jun 2006, 06:42

well, football (soccer) probably attracts the least funding over here .... AFL (australia football league), which is actually called Aussie Rules, gets the most, followed by the two rugby codes .... baseball and basketball don't get a huge mention

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 09 Jun 2006, 07:15

Although this might belong to the jokes thread,its still very suitable in here too:

Its the world cup finale,brazil-germany,the stadium is oversold.A guy looks to his left and sees an empty space.After a couple of minutes of thinking about it,he adresses the guy next to the empty seat.
- Excuse me,does someone sit here?
- No.That seat is empty.
- Well thats outrageous!How can someone own a ticket for the world cup finale,and dont show up?
- Well,you see,me and my wife bought two tickets next to each other,but she died recently.And this is supposed to be her seat.
- Oh,Im so sorry to hear that.But couldnt you give your ticket to one of your relatives?I mean at least one of them would gladly see the world cup finale.
- I tried that,but all of them are on my wifes funeral now.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 09 Jun 2006, 07:53

lol

hmmmm, where would i be ..... ?? :D

[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 09 Jun 2006, 08:35

stefan.urlus wrote: i'm going for netherlands and australia
Watch out for Japan, cause underdogs should not be underestimated this year. ;)
Round Table Olympics '07 Image

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 09 Jun 2006, 14:56

Sadly, I'm not predicting a good showing from the U.S. team. From what I saw of the friendlies they played before heading to Germany, they're good at handling the ball in midfield, but get them close to the goal and they seize up. Too timid or too unselfish or something. You can't score goals if you're not taking shots.

The last match was particularly painful to watch. For the better part of the first half they dominated control of the ball, but only managed one shot (somebody correct me if my memory is bad[1]), and it sailed well over the goal.

1. Oh wait, nobody can. No one over here watches this game. ;|

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: World Cup 2006

Unread postby Corribus » 09 Jun 2006, 15:14

a55a55in wrote:At this point, lots of football fans are all hyped up, lots of business for pubs and bistros, and lots of conversation on 1 topic. So I think it's safe to open 1 thread to discuss everything about it.
Hmm, I'm not sure why football fans should be looking forward to this... the NFL season doesn't start for another two months. :|
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 09 Jun 2006, 15:15

Kristo wrote:1. Oh wait, nobody can. No one over here watches this game. ;|
I can vouch for this. I'm gonna be watching the NBA finals. Oh, and Arenabowl. Chicago Rush all the way!
-----
Time for a little World Cup fact or fiction.
Ronaldinho is the Michael Jordan of football(soccer).
Fact or Fiction?
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Jun 2006, 15:38

Vlad976 wrote: Time for a little World Cup fact or fiction.
Ronaldinho is the Michael Jordan of football(soccer).
Fact or Fiction?
Michael Who?

C, what's that about gridiron?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 09 Jun 2006, 21:39

I'm keeping recoed of all the scores and matches. By the end of the group play, I will make a prediction of the future matches. Though I was very wrong about South Korea in 2002 (who I thought would go out in the 1/8), I was right about all the other matches, including the final. Two weeks before it was played, I predicted Brazil's victory 2-0 over Germany in the final... :proudirule:
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 09 Jun 2006, 21:43

Kalah wrote:I'm keeping recoed of all the scores and matches. By the end of the group play, I will make a prediction of the future matches. Though I was very wrong about South Korea in 2002 (who I thought would go out in the 1/8), I was right about all the other matches, including the final. Two weeks before it was played, I predicted Brazil's victory 2-0 over Germany in the final... :proudirule:
And you won how much money for this prediction?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Jun 2006, 21:46

Kalah wrote: I predicted Brazil's victory 2-0 over Germany in the final... :proudirule:
I bet that one took alot of thought. :no:

I'm betting England will go pretty far this time, as we didn't qualify, so we won't be eliminating them.... :devil: only to lose the next match in a really stupid way.... as always.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 09 Jun 2006, 22:08

I correctly predicted the result of 12 out of 16 matches, and the correct winner in 13 of 16. I only bet on single days, and only when the odds are higher than 2.00, so I didn't win much. Besides I don't put in a lot of money. I was up about 80 bucks in the end..

Still, it was the dumbfounded look on my friends' faces that really got my laugh. :proud:
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 09 Jun 2006, 22:28

Corribus wrote: Hmm, I'm not sure why football fans should be looking forward to this... the NFL season doesn't start for another two months. :|
Huh? Oh, I see. You're refeering to that "handstrangething" game you silly americans play. :D

So, did anyone watch the games today? Wasn't to impressed by Germany- their defense was way to weak, even if their offence managed to make up for it. Polen-Ecuador wasn't much of a game to watch.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 09 Jun 2006, 22:36

Germany aren't used to playing zonal defence, and it might be too late to rectify this. Still, Costa Rica's second goal was a bit on the far side of off-side, and I am confident in the German players' ability. I think they will win the group and advance to the second round; only when it is determined whether they will meet England or Sweden ;) and how these two teams have performed so far in the championship, will it be possible to guess at how far they will go.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Jun 2006, 22:51

Gaidal Cain wrote: So, did anyone watch the games today? Wasn't to impressed by Germany- their defense was way to weak, even if their offence managed to make up for it. Polen-Ecuador wasn't much of a game to watch.
Compared to their "performance" in the European Cup they seemed to have improved a bit. Then again I didn't really watch alot of the game.

Return to “Campfire”