Start Up Bonus Pick?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

What's the Starting Bonus you pick?

Poll ended at 16 Jun 2006, 09:08

500-1000 Gold
No votes
3-6 Random Resources
16%
Minor Artifacts
78%
I don't know, I put them on Random
3%
I don't know, I put them on Random
3%

Total votes: 32

RK
Peasant
Peasant

Start Up Bonus Pick?

Unread postby RK » 09 Jun 2006, 09:08

I personally find Artifact more 'meaningful'. I've rolled +1 dmg necklaces, a decent armour. etc.
Oh, for the 3-6 random resource , they're totally random right? You can get gem,wood,ore etc? So it's not really that useful as H3's
The 500-1000 Gold is not bad on very difficult start conditions, but playing on normal (the NEW easy) it is hardly noticable.

Add some comments & reasons plz :hoo:

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby addicted » 09 Jun 2006, 10:03

Resouces; since they seem to be so scarce
How you Treat people & what You Do or Don't Do will someday come back to "Bite You" or "Bless You". The Choice is Yours & will Affect You Today & Everyday of Your Future. Granny

thecheese
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby thecheese » 09 Jun 2006, 13:35

In this game, resources. I was tempted to go with it like heroes 3 and pick an artifact, but I tend not to now since resources are, as addicted said, scarce.

I will say that the "minor" artifacts that you can sometimes get don't seem so minor when compared to what you might've gotten in heroes 3. That game might've gotten you a four-leaf clover, whereas this might give you a ring with +2 atk/def. That's if you can figure out what your artifact actually does, though. =P

5il3nc3r
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby 5il3nc3r » 09 Jun 2006, 13:57

I always choose the artifact, as I find it more useful to start my game (grants a little bonus for the early battles so I can start better).
Money is useless early on because I'm limited in the amount of creatures I can buy.
Ressources are useless early on because I usually have enough to last long enough until I get my mines.
While the artifact has a chance to provide an early battle bonus to help me get my wood/ore mines earlier.

5il
The pen is deadlier than the sword;
if the pen is very sharp and the sword very short.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 09 Jun 2006, 14:48

I go for the res, money are more plentiful than resources.

5il3nc3r
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby 5il3nc3r » 09 Jun 2006, 15:25

Orfinn wrote:I go for the res, money are more plentiful than resources.
And money and res are more plentiful than artifacts ;)

5il
The pen is deadlier than the sword;
if the pen is very sharp and the sword very short.

Yrkoon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Yrkoon » 09 Jun 2006, 15:26

5il3nc3r wrote:I always choose the artifact, as I find it more useful to start my game (grants a little bonus for the early battles so I can start better).
Money is useless early on because I'm limited in the amount of creatures I can buy.
Ressources are useless early on because I usually have enough to last long enough until I get my mines.
While the artifact has a chance to provide an early battle bonus to help me get my wood/ore mines earlier.

5il
I concur,I find duplicates of my random artifact sometimes and I will pass this on to my secondary hero at the first opportunity that way they will be less vulnarable in protecting my home turf ;|

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 09 Jun 2006, 15:32

Usually I go with the Artifact, unless it's a really useless one.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 09 Jun 2006, 15:38

Assuming that this option is similar as Heroes III, yhis really depends on the level of difficulty I'm playing. If it's easy, I'll go for artifacts, but I'll take the gold when I play hard
Round Table Olympics '07 Image

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 09 Jun 2006, 16:04

5il3nc3r wrote:And money and res are more plentiful than artifacts ;)
5il
True, but for me its not that important in the early game, since I focus on building up my town asap. Can always get artifacts from defeated heroes or as reward from defeating a guarding stack.

thecheese
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby thecheese » 09 Jun 2006, 16:19

Realistically, it makes no sense to get anything but resources on a scarce/difficult map. Your artifact won't make enough difference in your lowbie hero to make up for the troop structure you were able to afford because you had an extra 5-10 ore, and that gold you got won't help you buy the troops you don't have.

For some reason, the devs derived from the traditional starting point layouts that were basically constant in the last 4 games...you'd have your town, some resources on the map, and a sawmill+orefield within a turn's distance of your castle. Now you might have to haul ass somewhere else to find even the basic ones. Then some maps have a ton. It's just hard to tell, seems much more random than it used to be.

JamaY
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby JamaY » 09 Jun 2006, 17:31

I usually pick artifact because you can get some pretty nice items, for example the elemental waistband gives you +4 SP when using summon elemental, and allows you to cast the spell without having it in your mage guild. It can be really strong in the first few battles to limit losses and fight those neutrals you would've waited a bit to tackle.
3-6 random ressources is..well, too random for me. Most mines have an ore pit and sawmill right by your castle, so if you get ore or wood it's useless, and most towns only need 2 rare ressources in big quantities (sulfur and mercury for inforno, for example), so that's around a 1/3 chance you'll get meaningful ressources. Depending on the race and the map I'm playing, I may take the risk, but most of the time an artifact is the better choice.

Cunning Death
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Cunning Death » 13 Jun 2006, 01:58

I prefer artifacts because of the early battles for mines&resources

more battles won earlier -> faster hero development -> no chance for others :devil:
warning! there might be documented features in Heroes V
Water Polo European Championships Hajrá magyarok!

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 13 Jun 2006, 02:27

i always find the +1 damage claw is very helpful in the early game

Paradox
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Paradox » 13 Jun 2006, 02:59

depends what map really, for example buried treasure or whatever it's called, your ore pit is in the underworld somewhere, and i found myself without ore for many weeks until i found it, even then it takes some forces to get to it. so resources for that map. for the rest, mostly just artifact

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby vicheron » 13 Jun 2006, 03:27

Minor Artifact. It depends a lot on luck but there the chances of getting a useful artifact is pretty good. It's always nice to get a Sack of Endless Gold or Windstrider Boots.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”