Ubi and Copy Protection

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Ubi and Copy Protection

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 06 Jan 2006, 04:43

Well,since HodgePodge got tired of the crusade,Ill take the honors of reopening this topic.So feel free to whine about the protection program going to be used in the new Heroes game.Say that youll boycot the game because of this,or just say that youll be cautios.Its up to you!(fanfare blowing in the background)

And,if you want more detail,here is the thread in its old garments.

Edswor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Edswor » 06 Jan 2006, 09:57

Did someone won the Starforce challenge?

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 06 Jan 2006, 10:12

Did someone took the Starforce challenge? :| I think many did not find it worth the trouble.

Edit, they have rised the price to $5000.- , but no applications are listed on their website http://www.star-force.com/protection.phtml?c=261&id=707

Bishop AlMighty
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Bishop AlMighty » 06 Jan 2006, 10:43

Edswor wrote:Did someone won the Starforce challenge?
What is Starforce challenge??? 8| 8| 8|

P.S. Your signature is great!!!
Qui non est mecum, contra me est

Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Romanov77 » 06 Jan 2006, 10:52

I doubt that Starforce can blow up a coputer...but surely it can make it run like :baby:

Paladin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Paladin » 06 Jan 2006, 11:04

The Starforce challenge is a contest.

Copied from CH:
The people at Starforce, who probably got sick of the persistent accusations and rumors on the Internet about their copy-protection scheme, decided to prove once and for all that Starforce is harmless. So they opened a little contest with a catchy name, Destroy your PC and receive $1000. Until January 31 2006, the first person to reproduce a hardware problem related to the copy-protection scheme in the Starfoce offices in Moscow will win $1,000 and have his travel expenses refunded. Obviously, all the drives in the system should be functioning before the installation of a product protected by StarForce. Click here for details.
More:
Starforce announced today that they are increasing the prize of their contest to $3000: "After ten days into the contest we’ve had a lot of visitors at our website and only one unconfirmed application. This makes us even more confident that the opinion about StarForce drivers damaging optical drives is nothing but a rumor." They are also making a special offer on some anti-spyware program to all owners of Starforce-protected applications. It's interesting to note that the contest has a new name: "Destroy your PC and receive $1000" has now changed to "Prove it! and receive $3000 from StarForce!". Again, check out the details here.
A cat is fine too...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Jan 2006, 12:33

SF iz za devil...

So, if someone won the challenge, will anyone stop buying Heroes 5 because of that?

Especialy considering that SF will fix the problem if it is reproduced! The way I see it it's a win win situation for Starforce.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 06 Jan 2006, 13:47

Edswor wrote:Did someone won the Starforce challenge?
I don't think that can be called 'winning' the contest ;)
Grah!

JonahFalcon
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby JonahFalcon » 06 Jan 2006, 13:55

(singing like Bill Murray) Starrrrforce, nothing but Staaaaaaaaarrrrforce.

(I wonder if anyone will get that reference. heh)

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 06 Jan 2006, 14:20

Pitsu wrote:Did someone took the Starforce challenge? :| I think many did not find it worth the trouble.

Edit, they have rised the price to $5000.- , but no applications are listed on their website http://www.star-force.com/protection.phtml?c=261&id=707
Now,just to find a SF protected game worth buying,and that money is as good as mine :devil:

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 06 Jan 2006, 14:24

... yeah so what if it fails? And wasn't there a time limit on the contest... (just before you actually screw up your computer ..)
Grah!

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby pepak » 06 Jan 2006, 14:35

1) I will not buy the game until there's a crack for it. I just don't feel like being punished for supporting the company. By "punished" I mean e.g. having to keep the CD in my drive or having to reboot to a second copy of Windows on another partition (to make sure Starforce or any similar protection won't mess up my setup).

2) I am not surprised the "contest" doesn't have any "contestants". The rules are set up in such a way that it is nearly impossible to "win". In fact, with this kind of rules, it would be almost impossible to prove ANY kind of error in ANY kind of software. No wonder nobody wants to spend time and hundreds of USD just to hear "you didn't follow our rules, bye".

3) I am almost certain the rumors about Starforce destroying a CD (DVD) drive are nonsense. Still, I have no doubt that Starforce can mess up the drivers, making the drive unusable until the next reinstall. But that's rather irrelevant for me - I just don't like being considered guilty even after proven innocent. If a company doesn't care about my feelings, well, they can make do without my money as well.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 06 Jan 2006, 16:00

Then you could buy anything -> no company cares about your feeling, well except for a psychiatrist...

But you just do that - I think you will find that you're able to buy it the same day as the rest of the HoMM fans :tired: ..
Grah!

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 06 Jan 2006, 16:48

What is worst about that "contest" is that only a few people actually know about it. The rules should be included in game boxes and the price not limited to the "first" one to break something in his pc using it, and not limited to one or two months.

I bet it's too late for those who claimed starforce broke their cd-drive in the past to participate, they probably didn't keep the drive and bought a new one.
Image Spiritu Insanum

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 06 Jan 2006, 18:39

And they probably could re-tell the story in full detail...
Grah!

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 06 Jan 2006, 18:40

And they probably could re-tell the story in full detail...
Grah!

Tao Jones
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Tao Jones » 07 Jan 2006, 01:16

JonahFalcon wrote:(singing like Bill Murray) Starrrrforce, nothing but Staaaaaaaaarrrrforce.

(I wonder if anyone will get that reference. heh)
*chuckle* The Lounge Singer, to the tune of the main title Star Wars Theme, on SNL.

(I'm older than I look, and -much- older than I act.)

OOTC:

I -won't- be buying on release day. And not because of the rumours of trashed drivers. I don't buy on release day by principle. Practically all software is released with bugs. This particular series is (in)famous for it. Add in the DRM and you're adding many more potential bugs. I'll wait until at least the first patch rollout.

You guys go ahead without me. No, really.
»« Conquering Earth for our robot masters »«

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 07 Jan 2006, 05:50

Some games ship with quirky bugs.

HOMM5 ships with ecrof rats!
:ill:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 07 Jan 2006, 14:41

well you always get things along that you don't exactly need - demo's etc. so this time we get a protection system that's not very populair...
Grah!

DemonHunter
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby DemonHunter » 09 Jan 2006, 18:33

I think is a stupid contest
If I understand everything right you have to proove that your pc can be 'destroyed'
Usualy people would have to test this before going to the people from starforce.
And prooving that it was starforce who ruined the pc is a little hard to show after that :(

Return to “Heroes V-VI”