Nival Answers

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Nival Answers

Unread postby HodgePodge » 04 Jun 2006, 14:50

Metathron wrote:If that's true, it's a good thing I've restrained myself from adding any mods to my game.
Me too. I'm rather dubious of using player-made mods because once I tried one out for Heroes III and it completely corrupted my game … even after removing & reinstalling. I had to call 3DO Tech Support to get me out of trouble (they were very helpful). But considering the awful Customer Service UbiSoft/Nival provides, I'll not take that chance again.

Anyhow, I'd like to know if Nival plans on developing user-friendly cheat codes with the release of the Map Editor?
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

jeff

Nival Answers

Unread postby jeff » 04 Jun 2006, 15:03

Well it sounds like a lot of I don't cares are being fixed, I for one do not play multiplayer and could care less, but I feel for those of you who do and hope they fix that soon. We need your money to keep the might and magic universe running.

Combined artifacts, nice yet another move to the H3 universe, well why not add carvans or something useful along those lines. Oh sorry didn't mean to mention one of the HIV improvements.

How about adding letting heroes travel together or let scout armies roam without a hero?

A detailed game manual to be finished soon, are you kidding me you release a game with a manual that stinks and think a later release makes it ok. Did I miss something, was there a quarterly report due to the UBI investors that needed its bottom line boosted. All I can say is it had better had a creature chart and dwelling build tree in it.

Hopefully Angelspit is right and the editor will be released in June or July as Fabrice had mentioned. It would be nice if Nival would release a bit about that editor's capabilities, so those can be tweaked by something they haven’t ask for yet fan input, or are they going to release it, wait for the fan furor over how bad it is and then try and fix it over the next 6-8 months, but oh by the way we will release a few more unimaginative maps while you're waiting. HodgePodge is right cheat codes are a must for the mapmaker, so they can test their maps before releasing them, and really there is no good explanation for disabling them.

RMG will be nice to use as a starting map for editing assuming the editor will be able to do that, but those game are frequently unplayable but a good starting point I just hope ZVS is still around to tweak it and the editor. Some of the H-IV picture maps looked good and it would be nice to be able to do the same thing with H-V (dreaming).
Edited on Sun, Jun 04 2006, 09:07 by jeff
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Labyrinth
War Dancer
War Dancer

Nival Answers

Unread postby Labyrinth » 04 Jun 2006, 15:14

Wow, that's far more information than the guy on the official board had translated!

I'm looking forward to those new features (and loading during battles!)... and I hope they implement the Play Over IP feature. Let's spam them ;))

PS: "Real soon now(TM)" :D
Edited on Sun, Jun 04 2006, 09:15 by Jerrie
What the #$*! do we know?

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 04 Jun 2006, 15:15

Sikon wrote: * A more detailed manual with gameplay mechanics is in development, it will be available as a free download soon™.
Well, isn't that thrilling! After the fans themselves have posted a Creature Stat Card, Creature Skills & Abilities Chart, Heroes Skills & Abilities Chart, etc.

H5 Downloadable Reference Guides

A little late, don't you think, Nival?
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Yrkoon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Nival Answers

Unread postby Yrkoon » 04 Jun 2006, 15:22

Well at least they are promising a map editor , I personally prefer the fan-made maps over the developer ones . So the fact that there will be one lifts my spirit already , although the timeframe is too long . All those creative folks out there need the time to make the maps , sigh
I'm not bald , I'm just too tall for my hair

jeff

Nival Answers

Unread postby jeff » 04 Jun 2006, 15:25

@Yrkoon

Promising but very secretive as to capabilities which is disturbing.

@HodgePodge

Thanks for the link, the creature list tables are very nice looking.
Edited on Sun, Jun 04 2006, 09:32 by jeff

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Nival Answers

Unread postby Sikon » 04 Jun 2006, 15:41

Instead of always feeling sorry for dial-upers, please feel sorry for those paying for bandwidth. Like me. Just once. (This is why I oppose Steam.)

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Nival Answers

Unread postby Sikon » 04 Jun 2006, 15:42

By the way, the "spamming" thing was a joke on my part. They actually said "if they kept asking".

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 04 Jun 2006, 15:45

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Arzang wrote:39 megs is nothing.

hate to be a basher but for this game 39 megs is not "whoamg big AND unnecessary".

I feel for people with dial-up though.
With dial-up 39 megs is about 8 hours with dial up.8 hours of phone call isnt cheap at all.The patch should be free for all the fans,right?And considering that it wont fix everything,and that there will be at least one more(my guess is at least five)of the same size,that is quite a lot.
I didn't realize anyone still had 1200 baud modems. a 33.6 modem does a meg every 5 minutes, so this would be slightly over 3 hours. a 56k modem would need 2.

Anyway, I'm on dial up, but I'll use a faster connection elsewhere, and use a USB dongle to transfer it home.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Jun 2006, 15:55

Qurqirish Dragon wrote: I didn't realize anyone still had 1200 baud modems. a 33.6 modem does a meg every 5 minutes, so this would be slightly over 3 hours. a 56k modem would need 2.
Wouldn't it be nice if it actualy worked like that... Man, i'm glad I don't have dial-up anymore.

And the mods can easily be deleted, as they are just .pak files in the data folder. Quite easy to get rid of.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

HealingAura
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Nival Answers

Unread postby HealingAura » 04 Jun 2006, 15:58

Combined artifacts, nice yet another move to the H3 universe, well why not add carvans or something useful along those lines. Oh sorry didn't mean to mention one of the HIV improvements.

How about adding letting heroes travel together or let scout armies roam without a hero?

How about ruining this game too? :p
Death is not the answer to everything, torture also has its merits!

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 04 Jun 2006, 16:29

DaemianLucifer wrote:They should release a fix for every bug as soon as its reported.This way patches would be small,and users can choose what bugs are the most annoying ones and need to be patched asap.
Yea, because 10 4MB patches are quicker to download than one 36MB. :|
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Nival Answers

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 04 Jun 2006, 16:39

What are you talking about Sikon? I'm on a dial-up and using Steam is great. Not only do I have to install a game once, but then I have to download all the updates for it before I can even play in offline mode. What's not to love!?

Yeah, having a dial-up isn't cool, but at least I have access to a university lan a mile away.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Nival Answers

Unread postby Angelspit » 04 Jun 2006, 16:40

No, what he means is that it's easier to ship ten different 4 MB packages AND THEN put together a large 40 MB megapatch... and make it downloadable in small parts. It's so simple. :P
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Patch

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 04 Jun 2006, 16:42

DaemianLucifer wrote: Yes,you are right.How dare those modders?!Lets make that one guy that made the new gargoyle mod translate it into all of the available languages!I mean,if ubi/nival team can do this,so can he.

====>That doesn't even make sense. You know perfectly well I'm talking about language issues like missing artifact descriptions or some unclear tooltips. Besides, why would Nival take the gargoyle mod, they already made there gargoyle.
PhoenixReborn wrote: 3. Isn't it possible to call ubisoft and have them mail you the patch?
So,decide if you want to pay 8 hour phone call or a week long shipment.You paid $50 so you deserve to have that nice choice.
====>I was just asking if it's possible, I've never done it. Does it really take 8 hours. I don't see a problem with waiting a week for a patch.

I agree that there is some level of frustration with the state of the release product but I've gotten plenty of enjoyment out of the game. They are fixing things and people don't give them credit for it.

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Nival Answers

Unread postby Sikon » 04 Jun 2006, 16:55

When I said Steam, I was talking about MYSELF, not dial-upers.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Jun 2006, 17:25

Gaidal Cain wrote: Yea, because 10 4MB patches are quicker to download than one 36MB. :|
No, but they're more cost effective timewise. And you can prob d/l them while doing somthing else online...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

jeff

Nival Answers

Unread postby jeff » 04 Jun 2006, 17:44

How about ruining this game too? :p

How, now let’s not be foolish? I did not say participate in combat though if balanced correctly that would not have been a bad thing, besides what ruins it for one may make it for another, so there really is no point in bickering about that point again here. Fact is H-IV had some good features like caravans. The H3 wannabes have the game about the way they want it and the final result may be a good game. H-V certainly has the start and basis for a very good game. Let’s hope they tweak it properly.

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Nival Answers

Unread postby dragonn » 04 Jun 2006, 18:33

If Nival will even try to make things harder for the modders I will burn their headquarters!

Seriously, I'm against modding, but I'm not against bringing back the old look of units (which are ultimately an element of the game itself).

If Nival is deaf and they are not listening to what gamers have to say, moreover there is even no answer from their side ( I've heard that the change of Treants was connected with some copyright laws, but Nival said nothing), modding is the only way. I don't think there is a way to block unit mods, but who knows...

And those unit-changing mods are simple .pak files (if their creator made them that way) which you copy into the game data file, and you can remove them whenever you like, so I don't think those things can corrupt the game in any way...
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Nival Answers

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 04 Jun 2006, 19:11

I did not intend any offense Sikon.

I don't understand why people are so adverse to change. Creature looks and lineups are bound to change with every subsequent game in the series. Are the wights/wraiths really that terrible? Or the new looks of the clerics and treants?
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Return to “News”