Anyone for a good FPS?

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 31 May 2006, 08:20

Derek wrote:Halo is a fun game but its plot is outrageous and stupid.

Halo 2 is a rehashed game with no sense of originality and its plot is even worse.
Stupid? So you think other FPS have a better story? There is a reason why theres so many fans, there is a reason it beats any othe crappy FPS out there. And you argue with empty words, why isnt it original, why is the plot lame? Details would be nice. Dont you think I also sneezed at Halo when I first saw it? I did and I though OMG another lousy shooter with nothing interesting neither in storyteling or gameplay., but once I got into the story and the rest its quite an interesting piece of american sci-fi, well except if you hate everything regarding that.

DungeonMaster
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby DungeonMaster » 02 Jun 2006, 03:48

exactly my opinion.... :gong: ?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 02 Jun 2006, 07:05

Orfinn wrote:Stupid? So you think other FPS have a better story? There is a reason why theres so many fans, there is a reason it beats any othe crappy FPS out there. And you argue with empty words, why isnt it original, why is the plot lame? Details would be nice. Dont you think I also sneezed at Halo when I first saw it? I did and I though OMG another lousy shooter with nothing interesting neither in storyteling or gameplay., but once I got into the story and the rest its quite an interesting piece of american sci-fi, well except if you hate everything regarding that.
There are shooters with better story:Deus ex and thief,to name the fiew.

DungeonMaster
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby DungeonMaster » 02 Jun 2006, 12:31

That's odd that you had to wait and play the game a little bit to like the story. But then again you have to be a fan of the non-realistic shooters like halo where you use lasers to kill giant freak monsters :D I know there are real guns in Halo but it still isnt classified as a realistic FPS in my book.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 02 Jun 2006, 12:33

We don't have enough players so we'll try again next week.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 02 Jun 2006, 12:36

Angelspit wrote:We don't have enough players so we'll try again next week.
Hear that people?Mark next sunday as bussy :D

SventheCrusader
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SventheCrusader » 03 Jun 2006, 05:16

I play a lot of FPS games. A LOT. My favorite FPS is Star Wars: Republic Commando. If you can find any other FPS with fun AND humor, that's the day I find out I'm a Plague Zombie.
Sven Svensson, the Crusader:

One man who really needs to stay committed to this "sticking around" thing.

DungeonMaster
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby DungeonMaster » 03 Jun 2006, 06:15

ooook then........ :D no but thats cool thanks for your opinoin

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 08 Jun 2006, 01:08

Orfinn wrote:
Derek wrote:Halo is a fun game but its plot is outrageous and stupid.

Halo 2 is a rehashed game with no sense of originality and its plot is even worse.
Stupid? So you think other FPS have a better story? There is a reason why theres so many fans, there is a reason it beats any othe crappy FPS out there. And you argue with empty words, why isnt it original, why is the plot lame? Details would be nice. Dont you think I also sneezed at Halo when I first saw it? I did and I though OMG another lousy shooter with nothing interesting neither in storyteling or gameplay., but once I got into the story and the rest its quite an interesting piece of american sci-fi, well except if you hate everything regarding that.
For those that care, there will be spoilers dealing with the 'plot' of the game HALO in my post. Beware if you care.

I do not think that other FPS games have better stories, but that is a moot point. Simply being the best in an area when everone else is terrible does not equate to quality. The reason that so many people enjoy the game so much is because of the solid gameplay, and I wouldn't have logged in those 100+ multiplayer rounds online if I didn't agree with them. The story though is an entirely different beast of its own. Lets break down the story carefully so that we can examine its many facets.

1.You are a super powerful warrior, with the none too subtle name of Master Chief, and for the record his voice is far too generic.
2.An alien race, that is so much more advanced, decides to wage a holy war against the humans(I will not comment about connections and or exploitation of the terrorist attacks in the United States with this, but I do find it suspicious that your enemies are religous extremists.)
3.And then you crash land on a planet and discover a race of crazy organic creatures that assimilate creatures into their fold.

Now besides the obvious fact that this three pronged alien thing is very tired, StarCraft or Alien v Predator to name a few, it would have been nice if any of the characters were more than stereotypes or, even if you want to argue against that, if they were anything but static. None of the characters develop or go beyond what you initially see them as. Frankly, if a story is to be considered good on any level, I would argue that there must be some development in the central characters, and since these are the only two(minus the floating head, who isn't dynamic) I would say that this moots the point of any discussion there.

I could go into more detail, I assure you, but I'm not sure if you want to continue the discussion or not.

Sorry for the delay on this, I've been preoccupied with other things.
Hell has frozen over...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 08 Jun 2006, 05:21

Did any of you play Giants:Citizen Kabuto?Now there you have an interesting story,lots of humor,and different gameplay.

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 15 Jun 2006, 20:15

Yes, Giants was great and had a lot of character, like Interstate 76 or Torment had...

I played a lot of FPSs, since the original Doom and I worked in some of them; but I did not enjoy the newer titles that are WWII/special forces themed -and sadly that leaves out just a few shooters.. Call Of Duty, Medal of Honor, Battlefield and even CS are all the same crap for me.

Hard to find the taste of the old ones though.. Either Doom, Rise of the Triad(excellent, excellent game), Dark Forces etc. were too good, or I am getting too old.

george137
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby george137 » 29 Jun 2006, 15:31

Don't worry I play FPS, RPG, TBS, RTS, and some other misc. games (such as DDR wonder what that falls under.) But yes I do have a lot of FPS, Halo UT2003 just to name a few. First person shooter are fun if you are looking for a casual game or something like that.
@ Orfinn: IMO Halo's story wasn't great, it was satisfying but nowhere near great or original. We heard the plot a thousand times. Human meet alien, alien want to kill human, alien has super weapon, only one person can stop them! Out of those 9 million or so people behind you many people just say the game is great because it Halo.

Silent Rogue
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Silent Rogue » 06 Nov 2006, 17:48

the best FPS games are: half-life,F.E.A.R., far cry,SWAT 4

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 06 Nov 2006, 18:37

Silent Rogue wrote:the best FPS games are: half-life,F.E.A.R., far cry,SWAT 4
Uh...Oh...How did that one get in that bunch?And half-life is simply above any other group.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 06 Nov 2006, 19:44

wolfenstein 3d is the best ever, obviously. nothings more fun than walking into all walls pressing space in hopes of finding a SECRET. followed closely by Spear of Destiny (sounds somewhat similar to something.... er, id rather stop this. no need to bankrupt Ubi in copyright discussions.)

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 07 Nov 2006, 04:14

that would be best ever IYO?? Cause IMO most of those don't rate at all!

IMO Quake ][, UT and UT2004 are the best
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 17 May 2007, 23:46

This seemed like the most appropriate of the existing topics to mention that Eidos is starting on the next Deus Ex game.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 18 May 2007, 00:28

and that's one I didn't really get into at all
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 18 May 2007, 08:12

Well I think CRYSIS will be a really kick ass FPS. Far Cry had if not the best a very good enemy A.I and I hope CRYSIS will keep on that tradition.
The graphics looks stunning and the players traits and options in combat are wild IMO. Customize your combat suit on tha' run, upg your weapon in many ways and so on. The story aint bad either..mystical and creepy if you ask me. Yeah its alien sort of invading earth philosophy. But it seems CRYSIS twist this classic consept in a more exiting and better way.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 18 May 2007, 16:12

theres this upcoming game The Crossing im curious about. it is being made by Arkane.

any company having employees from the late Looking Glass Studios cant be all bad ;)

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”