More Eights, and a Beating

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 31 May 2006, 19:56

The reviews of Heroes of Might and Magic V keep rolling, and we are only mentioning a few of them for a very simple reason: <i>they all sound the same</i>. I have rarely seen a computer game with so much consistency in its reviews. It's like if all reviewers have been locked up in a room and had to come up with an agreement before the verdict. <a href="/http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?ar ... urogamer's review</a> is very positive, but pinpoints some of the game's problems with accuracy:

"[Combat] mostly works okay, but there are a few major flaws. First, the enemy's tactic appears to be restricted to targeting your strongest units, meaning strong flying creatures can be used as endless distractions. The occasional foliage and obstacles on the battlefield also add little challenge, and change the tactical layout very little. Second, it's hard to defend your always-targeted missile units without a large number of encircling units, due to diagonal attacks and movement, making small skirmishes hardly worth fighting."

Elsewhere, Heroes V take a first beating, courtesy of <a href="/http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3151112">1UP</a> (a site affiliated with Computer Gaming World, a site that gave a similar treatment to Heroes IV as you may recall), with 5 out of 10. Bearly every single piece of the game gets criticized, from heroes who can attack through walls to the multiplayer synchronization and the AI. If you want to read more reviews, you will find a lot <a href="/https://www.celestialheavens.com/88">here</a>.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1149105392
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 31 May 2006, 21:00

While I'm not going to bash the 1UP review as everyone is entitled to their opinion, I do get annoyed when people attack features without properly testing them. Case in point is his bashing of the camera. Yes, I fully agree that in the beginning it is difficult to understand and maneuver, but now it's like second nature to me. Try using it for more than two days before you bash something.
Edited on Wed, May 31 2006, 15:01 by King Imp

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 31 May 2006, 21:02

And by the time he played enough of the game to properly evaluate it, you might think he would get used to the camera.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

reynaert
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby reynaert » 31 May 2006, 21:32

Camera movement can get rather annoying in underground... It's not evil, but there's room for improvement.

And there's a point on framerate loss with camera movement. Especially on midrange pcs.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3107825&did=4

okaaaaaaaay.....

Edited on Wed, May 31 2006, 15:38 by reynaert
I have probably offended you in this post. if you take it too harshly, it's your own responsability. I, for my part, never intended to.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 31 May 2006, 21:49

Well, I for one thinks that one shouldn't need to "get used" to such a thing- or at least not spend a couple of days for it. The camera has improved, but it's not quite as good as it could be.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 31 May 2006, 23:10

I pretty much agree with 1UP, except based on the same list of defects, I'd score it a 7.

IMHO the problem is not so much the camera as the way tree tops and cave overhangs force you to maneuver around to see things.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

socketboy
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby socketboy » 31 May 2006, 23:48

1 up was overly harsh if you ask me. This is one of those games where the sum doesn't equal the parts. There are a lot of little bugs and issues yes, but when not nit-picking it all, when you step back and just play it, it is a really fun game. Certainly I think it deserves a score of at least 8.5. 9 if you include the potential fun when patches fix everything and we get a map editor! :D

mctronic
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mctronic » 01 Jun 2006, 00:16

To be honest, 1UP's review wasn't off the mark. Like they said. AI isn't very good on multiplayer match and the game crashes when you play online and those are major flaws. I think they've evaluated the game has it is and not how it can be when patches fix most problems (I hope)..

Continuity
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Continuity » 01 Jun 2006, 02:57

1UP has a harsher review scale than other sites. For most sites, 7 is average, like the american school system - 70% being a passing grade. But on a 1-10 scale, 5 should be average, and on 1UP it is. Note the qualifier "competent" under the score. I can't really find any fault with the review as such. I would rate it higher though. Probably a 6 or a 7 on the 1UP scale. That said, I'm really enjoying it, and I'm hoping that patches will solve the issues bugging me.
Edited on Wed, May 31 2006, 20:58 by Continuity

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 01 Jun 2006, 05:24

What do you know,I agree with 1up review :devil:

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 01 Jun 2006, 06:02

I also agree with 1up. It's a good game, but it could use some patching.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 01 Jun 2006, 09:35

Maybe 1UP is a bit harsh, but not completely unfair, I think.
----------------------------
Might and Magic, baby !

Mik-Angelo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mik-Angelo » 01 Jun 2006, 10:02

1up sez you can't scroll on the combat screen, but you can using the arrow - keys, on your keyboard {allthough it does not center as you zoom in, like they stated}.

Also, their right about the lack of retreat, by AI in battle. I've played several maps & almost thru the 2nd camp., & have never seen AI retreat from a battle yet {no matter how out-numbered they are}...it's as if, you always carry the "shackles-of-war"on your hero...weird.

Rhutobello
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Rhutobello » 01 Jun 2006, 15:27

I agree more with 1Up, then the rest. There is no way this game should have 8-9.

If we shall take into account an early patch, we shall not let that benefit the company...it shall draw the game down. We must not say we tolerate unfinish game and give it high score.in hope the patch shall fix it..that is wrong! Patch is for giving something exstra.

As for graphic I give 10 as for gameplay I give 5-6 because of lots of small faults. Most of you are saying this is HoMM 3...That game I have since release and it's still give me good time....this lasted 3 weeks.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: More Eights, and a Beating

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 01 Jun 2006, 19:18

Sorry, but you're wrong. Patches means bugfixes and perhaps rebalancing in 99% of the cases. New content is almost always held off for expansions.

Rhutobello
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Rhutobello » 01 Jun 2006, 20:14

Gaidal Cain wrote:

Sorry, but you're wrong. Patches means bugfixes and perhaps rebalancing in 99% of the cases. New content is almost always held off for expansions.

Well I can give you that one, I might have played a bit to much online RPG where patches gives more new stuff and balanse of gameplay. But it is seldom we can look at so early patches as this one and one that are so asked for and with big hope for better gameplay, and from another forum I have read they have starded the work on patch 2...so why so much patchwork on a game that recive almost 9 in the gaming industry?

Most of them haven't played the game ...just looked at it:)

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 01 Jun 2006, 21:20

Well, they have said that a patch coming in beginning of July would bring the Map editor (which seems to be one of those 1% ;) ). But several patches aren't nothing new- Heroes 3 had something like 4, and it didn't have all too many serious bugs. Continued patchwork is a sign of a creator that's dedicated to it's games- Blizzard is still patching Starcraft, for example.

Amgor II
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Amgor II » 01 Jun 2006, 22:11

I believe the very worst thing in Heroes V is:

If you should get stuck in the Haven campaign which is the first campaign you are all done because you must finish one campaign before you can play another.

So that just leaves you with what ever scenarios that came with the game you purchase.

The Haven campaign is easy, but they get harder.

Hopefully not, but a lot of games may end up on the shelf.
In the world of the Dead, its nice to be alive,I think.

Hambone
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Hambone » 02 Jun 2006, 05:51

This is the first decent review of HOMMV that I have read in the mainstream game media. It's only fault is that it isn't longer!

"The adding features part depends on the end of the patch plan." -- Fabrice Cambounet

Return to “News”