The Photo Thread

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

The Photo Thread

Unread postby Corribus » 02 Mar 2006, 04:09

We have a thread for member pictures, and we now also have a thread for pets. But what about random photos?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I like looking at pictures that other people have taken, regardless of the subject. So here's a thread for sharing random pictures - they can be pictures of you, a local site or attraction, a favorite event, a hobby, vacation pics, whatever. Just make it interesting. The only rules are:

(1). You have to have taken the picture or be in it.
(2). It should be reasonably sized.
(3). You should tell us about the picture. What is it? Why did you take it?

I don't know if this thread will actually take off, but I have a digital camera that I use quite frequently, so I may share pictures from time to time that I particularly like. So if any other members out there have a digital camera - please snap and post!

After all - the pictures a person takes can tell us a lot (indirectly) about them!
Last edited by Corribus on 02 Mar 2006, 18:19, edited 2 times in total.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 02 Mar 2006, 04:18

And yes I'll start it off. This is one I took at work the other day, and I thought it was cool, so I'll share it:

What is it? These are two common lumenescent dyes which are being irradiated by a UV lamp. The one on the left, which is Ru(bpy)(3)Cl(2) (pronounced rue-bippy), a complex of the metal ruthenium. The one on the right is a laser dye called Rhodamine 101. As you can see, the one on the right glows much brighter than the one on the left. In fact, Rhodamine 101 is one of the most fluorescent molecules known and is often considered a "perfect fluorophore". The reason it is considered "perfect" is because it has a quantum efficiency of nearly 100% in organic solvents. The quantum efficiency (or quantum yield) is basically a measure of the number of photons emitted versus the number of photons absorbed. By comparison, Ru(bpy)(3)Cl(2), only has a quantum efficiency of about 13% (which even though it doesn't look like it when next to Rhodamine is actually reasonably high).

My work is partially involved in making new fluorescing molecules with high quantum efficiencies, particularly ones which emit light in the near-infrared regime. Unfortunately, you can't really see NIR light, so a picture of one wouldn't be as exciting. :)
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 02 Mar 2006, 16:35

Here's a photo that I've made in Florence, Italy. I'm particularly fond of it, because of the serenity it sugests.

It was taken from the Ponte Vecchio, the oldest bridge over the Arno river, which passes through Florence.

I took it at about noon or so, at the beginning of that day's visiting spree. I was a hot August day, and the sun shone bright on that wonderful sky that you can see. We were just passing over the bridge, heading for Palazzo Pitti (the former residence of the Medicis family), when I saw the view. I just had to stop and take a picture of it.

"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 02 Mar 2006, 16:41

Ah, Firenze! I love it. I went there before I had a digital camera and so I have no digital pictures to share... but that's a very nice picture of the Arno - I recognized it immediately! Mostly by the reflections, which you always seem to get from that spot! :)

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 02 Mar 2006, 16:57

You know what was strange? I took a picture of the Ponte Vecchio from the other bridge and it didn't look as good. The light was more or less the same so it couldn't have been an optical effect of some sort, but the river and the bridge looked... unclean, somehow. Grayish. Dull.

I also took a picture with the Leaning Tower in Pisa later that day, but that kind of pictures are way to common to post :). I was taking the picture though, so I'm not in it; my finger is, pushing the tower slightly :D.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Mar 2006, 17:09

My current wallpaper for the last two months 8| I don't belive it's been that long:

Somehow i don't seem to get bored with it...

It was taken the day after Christmas, from a moving car.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 02 Mar 2006, 17:14

Ethereal... My current picture would fit in there nicely :). Where did you take it?

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 02 Mar 2006, 17:23

Here's a picture I took on my recent location in London. I managed to convince my family to go to the British Museum, and I got very fashinated by the reliefs from the assyrian palace at Nimrud. I'm not very used to my new camera yet, and am not very steady on my hand, so it's a bit blurry, but I like it enough to use as my wallpaper for now.

You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Mar 2006, 17:23

theLuckyDragon wrote:Ethereal... My current picture would fit in there nicely :). Where did you take it?
Valea Oltului, I belive! I took some others, but this one came out the best!
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 Mar 2006, 06:00

Nice pics.Ill submit some once I install my scaner,since I only have paper pictures now,after many many crashes of my computer.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Apr 2006, 16:17

Greece, last summer:

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 08 Apr 2006, 16:33

The second one looks good. Two shades of blue merging with the brownish rocks, a dash of dark red and then that nice green... :-D

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Apr 2006, 16:51

Well the first one was to give you an ideea on how the rest of the beach looked like. The second one is the cool one. :D

vulnevia
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby vulnevia » 09 Apr 2006, 07:53

snow outside my school's window.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 May 2006, 01:48

A set of candles left in the sun...

In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 23 May 2006, 07:40

Aesthetically that :up: is a great pictures with all the different and straight lines and all the balance in the picture :)
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 May 2006, 17:00

I just noticed this one while looking for a pic to post onthe True Looks Thread. It's a Ghost:

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 25 May 2006, 10:31

Here's a picture from my trip to Greece last summer. My friend and I ate greek salad all the time on that trip :D

Uhh, getting hungry now :yummy:
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 May 2006, 13:45

Salad?! Weak. Now this is what you eat in Greece:

Mmmmmmm..... i'm drooling already.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 25 May 2006, 14:00

Greek salad rules ehhhhh..
And what is that :up: ??
A baby alligator?
A mutated shrimp? Tell me..
- Dragon Age Origins

Return to “Campfire”