First Online Review: 8/10

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 22 May 2006, 01:39

While the first review of Heroes of Might and Magic V belongs to a Swedish printed publication (according to some fans), the first online review can be found on <a href="/http://www.hookedgamers.com/reviews/200 ... v/">Hooked Gamers</a>. It reads a lot like the previews that were posted on the Net on a weekly basis earlier this year. Six towns with seven creatures, we've heard that before. The author points out that the game feels a little sluggish, but goes on to praise the artificial intelligence: <i>"Decisions made by the AI are often exactly the same decisions I would have made myself and the AI carefully weighs its targets, what spells it should use and how to approach the battle."</i> He admits that his first impressions were not that positive, but after a while Heroes V kicked Oblivion off his playlist, which is quite an achivement by itself. The game got an 8 out of 10. Read the whole article <a href="/http://www.hookedgamers.com/reviews/200 ... /">here</a>.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1148261994
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

socketboy
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby socketboy » 22 May 2006, 02:37

Not bad... I can't comment as much though because I don't have it yet... but I would guess I'd rate it closer to an 8.6

Hipshot
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Hipshot » 22 May 2006, 07:46

Actually, swedish site, FragZone did a legit review about 1.5weeks ago now, they gave it 80% too, so this isn't really the first online rev ;)

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 22 May 2006, 09:41

AG, Heroic Corner's host, posted a review on May 20. They gave it 85% and an "Our choice" award.

VampiricTouch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby VampiricTouch » 22 May 2006, 09:43

4players.de gave it 86%, gamesmania.de 90% :)

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 22 May 2006, 10:37

These good reviews make me even more excited to finally play the game soon...

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 22 May 2006, 12:03

It will get a even higher score when the game gets patched and expanded with extra content :)

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 22 May 2006, 12:26

Most of the reviews will be based on version 1.0. People at GameSpot and GameSpy have probably been playing the game for a while and will be posting their reviews soon. Most publications have a policy not to review patches.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Khelavaster
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Khelavaster » 22 May 2006, 14:20

I wonder if Gamespot´s review will beat HOMM IV´s review at 8.6?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: First Online Review: 8/10

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 22 May 2006, 16:28

*sigh*!Yet another review that starts like this:
For fans of the series, it is impossible not to notice the change in graphics. Finally Heroes of Might & Magic makes it into the realm of 3D gaming, and does so admirably I might add.
:disagree:
There are some subtle changes however. First off, the heroes are no longer completely chained to their location behind the lines. Next to spellcasting and bolstering morale, they can take an active part in the fight. A cool example of this is how Knights charge the battlefield to slash at the enemy with their sword. While this may seem obvious to newcomers, previously the Knight was forced to control the action from behind the lines.
Such a radical change! :no: This is just a spell with no spell points needed.And again the skipping of HIV :disagree:
Not so easy to outsmart
Oh?Maybe not on the top difficulty,but on the lower two...And again,combat AI isnt the only AI in the game.
While experience and spells can be carried over into the next mission, items can not.
Isnt this actually dependant on the map?We relly need to see the editor before comments like this can be allowed.

I wonder how everyone fails to point out the obvious flaws:no sleep,no kingdom overview,no paperdoll,no buttons for wait and split,and the tedious windmill/dweling collection.Oh,and lets not forget that you no longer see what contributes to youyr units growth,and by how much.

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby addicted » 22 May 2006, 17:42

These reviews has me hopping around with more excitement by the hour! :) I am so glad I ordered my copy but it won't get here until the last week of this month.. I hope I can get a DVD-Rom installed and working by then.. I just hope I can get a DVD-rom in my computer, period!!! I tried but something must be messed up because my computer won't boot with it so I had to take it out. That will suck if I end up with my new HV game and can't play it!!!!
How you Treat people & what You Do or Don't Do will someday come back to "Bite You" or "Bless You". The Choice is Yours & will Affect You Today & Everyday of Your Future. Granny

Continuity
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Continuity » 22 May 2006, 20:28

DaemianLucifer wrote:I wonder how everyone fails to point out the obvious flaws:no sleep,no kingdom overview,no paperdoll,no buttons for wait and split,and the tedious windmill/dweling collection.Oh,and lets not forget that you no longer see what contributes to youyr units growth,and by how much.
These aren't obvious flaws. Hardcore fans like us notice them missing, but for a casual fan, they don't notice this. Besides, stuff like "no paperdoll" isn't a flaw. Maybe you and I liked it, but it's just a different way of organizing the artifact slots. The functionality is just like in H3 and H4. Windmill/dwelling collection isn't a flaw either. I agree it was better in H4, but this is again a matter of preference. It's not a flaw in the game, it's something you would have liked was there, but isn't. As for "no sleep", there is a kind of sleep. Reviewers are smart enough not to spend their entire review counting up features that were in older games and whining about what's missing.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 22 May 2006, 20:47

Continuity wrote:These aren't obvious flaws. Hardcore fans like us notice them missing, but for a casual fan, they don't notice this. Besides, stuff like "no paperdoll" isn't a flaw. Maybe you and I liked it, but it's just a different way of organizing the artifact slots. The functionality is just like in H3 and H4. Windmill/dwelling collection isn't a flaw either. I agree it was better in H4, but this is again a matter of preference. It's not a flaw in the game, it's something you would have liked was there, but isn't. As for "no sleep", there is a kind of sleep.
Its not like heroes is the only game that has,or better say had,kingdom overview.Almost every TBS has some kind of a statistics screen,so only those new to TBS wont notice.Paperdoll is present in most games that have RPG ellements,so this again is a flaw,or better to say bad way of aranging inventory.Windmill/dweling collection is a serious flaw,since they did say lots of times before that theyre trying to speed up gameplay.Increasing micromanagment isnt speeding up gameplay.There is no sleep at all,you can only turn of the end turn reminder,and sometimes it is good to have it on.Again,lots of TBS have a sleep function of a sort,so this is a flaw.
Continuity wrote: Reviewers are smart enough not to spend their entire review counting up features that were in older games and whining about what's missing.
Yet they have no problem bashing HIV? :disagree: That argument doesnt hold water.

SirGalrim
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SirGalrim » 22 May 2006, 23:00

gamer.no did an review 19th may and gave H5 9 of 10.

http://gamer.no/omtale/pc/heroes_of_mig ... ic_v/26253
"Never seen you. I don't even know your name. But still I belive.. That you are gonna save me!"
- juveth.no

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 22 May 2006, 23:29

DaemianLucifer wrote:Yet they have no problem bashing HIV? :disagree: That argument doesnt hold water.
What do you mean? Reviewers were almost overwhelmingly positive about HIV. The only major negative review was by gamesdomain (sadly no longer active) which criticised its move away from a "board game" feel with things like daily growth and heroes in combat.

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 23 May 2006, 04:20

So far, the average (per sites mentioned in this thread) is 85.16%.

hahakocka
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby hahakocka » 23 May 2006, 06:11

You can see your kingdom Overwiew that how much you get from sulfur, gold etc. and from what and total too, by clivking with right mouse button on the adventure map to the gold and sulfur etc icons on the above.

Kaboth
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kaboth » 23 May 2006, 06:21

Another review popped up at gamefaqs today:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin ... 01266.html

The author seems to be one of the people who loved Heroes IV and believes Heroes V is a Heroes III clone types but he still gave it 8/10.

Not a very good review. The author failed to address town levels and the vastly expanded skill system.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 May 2006, 10:34

What's with people and the Town Points system? It's not really that different or great.

And the skill system is not really VASTLY Expanded. Most of the Abilities are H3 skills with only 1 level.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 May 2006, 12:15

Psychobabble wrote:
DaemianLucifer wrote:Yet they have no problem bashing HIV? :disagree: That argument doesnt hold water.
What do you mean? Reviewers were almost overwhelmingly positive about HIV. The only major negative review was by gamesdomain (sadly no longer active) which criticised its move away from a "board game" feel with things like daily growth and heroes in combat.
This doesnt sound overwhelmingly positive to me:
Might and Magic IX was a disaster of a game, and don't even get me started on the milking attempts that resulted in Crusaders of Might and Magic and the pinkish Heroes of Might and Magic IV.

Return to “News”