Something wrong about the Spectral Dragon

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Should the Spectral Dragon have an "incorporeal" ability?

Poll ended at 19 Jun 2006, 00:00

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 22

xover88
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Something wrong about the Spectral Dragon

Unread postby xover88 » 19 May 2006, 00:00

When I saw the Spectral Dragon, it didn't have incorporeal ability which it should have. It's just a bone dragon with more strengths.
I am pretty disappointed about this.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 19 May 2006, 00:05

No insubstancial ability suits me just fine. In fact, I'd be happy if it wasn't on any of the creatures in the game...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 19 May 2006, 00:33

Incorporeal on a level 7 (or even level 6) is an overkill. That's why they got rid of them on Spectrals and Wraiths. Besides, I hate random events in games, so I'd like it better if that ability didn't even exist, or just implemented differently.
I believe in science and that science can explain everything.
Because God has made it all work in such a beautiful way...

trailMix
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby trailMix » 19 May 2006, 00:42

theGryphon wrote:Incorporeal on a level 7 (or even level 6) is an overkill. That's why they got rid of them on Spectrals and Wraiths. Besides, I hate random events in games, so I'd like it better if that ability didn't even exist, or just implemented differently.
I hate random events too. It really screws up your strategy, especially if the battle is going to be close. I thought H4's implementation on ghosts were pretty good. Incorporeal should reduce physical damage by 25% or something.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 19 May 2006, 01:34

i think incorporeal is an overkill, while random it seems to click in at the most unfortunate times (like when you are about to kill them all, but .... Miss!)

it activated 6 times on a single stack out of 8 attacks against it .... wtf???!!

it makes me just hate attacking wandering stacks of ghosts/manes ... and then to add it to level 7?? Necro would go from slightly underpowered to insano very quickly!

cooper82
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby cooper82 » 19 May 2006, 07:03

But look at its HP (and other stats as well)... it is very low for a level 7 upgrade.
Perhaps the behavior of the ability would have to be fixed.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 19 May 2006, 07:19

yeah, but with the special dwelling you do get 3 of them a week ... so bear that in mind, plus they are cheap as, compared to other l7's .... it's not as black and white as stats alone!!! but as a case in point 3x160 HP works out to 540 HP a week ... black dragons get 480 per week, damage 75-105 per week, black dragon 90-140

att and def similar .... but other factors must be considered .... it's not all bad for the necro level 7 thou

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 19 May 2006, 08:53

Do you remember those AI cheats in HIII. Strangely when the AI wanted to finish the battle quickly it had a lot of morale and luck bonuses. And I simply "love" those situations when AI knows were to move, because it will recieve a moral bonus right away.

So I don't think those random effects would be a good idea. In HII GD were quite good, but not as good as the rest of 7th levels, In HIV they BD were very strong. And they didn't have the incorporeal ability...
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 19 May 2006, 09:23

Voted no

since necropolis focus on cheapness and numbers there is no need for incorperal abilities, well expect on the ghosts and spectres

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 May 2006, 10:29

Voted yes.Instead of removing the ability,they shouldve just tone it down a bit.

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 19 May 2006, 10:30

I voted Yes, they just need to change the incorporeal ability to something similiar to what it was in HIV..

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 19 May 2006, 10:36

Well the name implies incorporability somewhat. On the other hand it's a very annoying ability.

Perhaps incorporeal should work on a per-creature basis. Each creature has it's own chance (50% isn't it?) to evade the attack, independantly of each other, and then the damage is reduced by a % equal to how many in the stack evaded.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 May 2006, 10:54

Ethric wrote:Well the name implies incorporability somewhat. On the other hand it's a very annoying ability.

Perhaps incorporeal should work on a per-creature basis. Each creature has it's own chance (50% isn't it?) to evade the attack, independantly of each other, and then the damage is reduced by a % equal to how many in the stack evaded.
Yes,this would work very well.Much better then now.

Malicen
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Malicen » 19 May 2006, 11:29

This ability, though annoying is OK IMO. So, I like it. Use spells on them, not melee attacks.
The prayers of the soul tend towards the helping angels discovering the griefs of the heart when pains are consuming it burning.

igoraki
Scout
Scout

Unread postby igoraki » 19 May 2006, 14:32

Ethric wrote:Well the name implies incorporability somewhat. On the other hand it's a very annoying ability.

i would like to see it work like that but for creatures that attack

like this

100 swordsman attack 50 ghosts
each swordman have a 50 % chance to miss
those swordsman that missed are not even calculated in the attack
lets say 35 swordsman missed
rest of the 65 swordsman are calculated normally

so would still do some damage to stack,but reduced
"You cannot make a baby in a month with nine women."

Pugsley
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Pugsley » 19 May 2006, 21:17

igoraki wrote:

i would like to see it work like that but for creatures that attack

like this

100 swordsman attack 50 ghosts
each swordman have a 50 % chance to miss
those swordsman that missed are not even calculated in the attack
lets say 35 swordsman missed
rest of the 65 swordsman are calculated normally

so would still do some damage to stack,but reduced
Interesting way to do it, still has the luck factor of the ability, but without making it so 1 spook is likely to survive 600 arrows, which can be incredably frustrating. However I think Spectral Dragons are balanced as they are, but implimenting this for the spooks would be a good thing imo.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 May 2006, 21:31

Pugsley wrote: Interesting way to do it, still has the luck factor of the ability, but without making it so 1 spook is likely to survive 600 arrows, which can be incredably frustrating. However I think Spectral Dragons are balanced as they are, but implimenting this for the spooks would be a good thing imo.
It would be an excelent ability for wraiths and spectral dragons as well.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 19 May 2006, 22:23

Ethric wrote: Perhaps incorporeal should work on a per-creature basis. Each creature has it's own chance (50% isn't it?) to evade the attack, independantly of each other, and then the damage is reduced by a % equal to how many in the stack evaded.
I'll second that. Great idea.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 19 May 2006, 22:42

Except that you'll have to keep attacking that stack again and again, since you'll only be killing half the units every attack. Doesn't sound like a good solution to me.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 May 2006, 00:36

Gaidal Cain wrote:Except that you'll have to keep attacking that stack again and again, since you'll only be killing half the units every attack. Doesn't sound like a good solution to me.
No you wouldnt,since it says that the damage is reduced by a % of how many evaded.So basically,damage is reduced by 50%,which means that you can still kill more then half of a stack.But I like the idea of independant misses better.Although,this one migh work in a similar fashion:reduces damage by 50%.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”