Tales of Edrenium (Working Title) - A game like M&M series

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Strobe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Tales of Edrenium (Working Title) - A game like M&M series

Unread postby Strobe » 02 Mar 2022, 15:07

Hello guys!

Im looking for ppl, who are interested to work in a game project, which is exactly trying to achieve the gameplay and feel of Might and Magic 6 to 8 in Unreal engine 4.7. The basic idea is a 4 player party, and a vast open world filled with cities, monsters etc. Also want to include the sci-fi stuff, of course in a different way.

I'd worked out the game map, and races, and classes. At the moment, im only at the start of the development, testing real-time character renders, and implementing the first map. The roadmap of the project would be split into chapters.

Speaking of myself, im coding, making models, textures, animations, music, sounds. So basically everything. But im in need of artists, coders, or absolutely any skilled people. This is a passion project, im not looking for money with this game. In the future i'd gladly help any developers to achieve the gameplay mechanics, if anyone wants to remake a M&M game. If there's enough interest, then i'll make a discord to be in contact.

Feel free to ask me anything!

Have a nice day all,
Strobe
Last edited by Strobe on 15 Mar 2023, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.

Strobe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Looking for artists, devs for a game like M&M 6-8

Unread postby Strobe » 15 Mar 2023, 20:55

So hey all again!

Let's breath some life into this topic!

About me:

Exactly one year ago, i started laying the foundations of a game, which is completely based on MM 6 to 8. Since these games are my top favorites of all time, I always dreamed of one day making an own fantasy game like these. Finally the time has come. I've already been a 3D artist since 2009, started by making mods for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I got a lot of experience in it, and went to learn as a sound engineer back in 2012. I've worked in it for 8 years, but I decided that maybe its time to learn out a new craft, which was programming. So long story short, a long journey to became an indie dev, basically learning everything piece by piece. Also finished a course for Unreal Engine 4 a year ago, but eventually I moved to Unity a few weeks ago. It was the best decision I've made in my game development journey.

Current Status:

So right now the current state of my game. I've started making it around a week ago, spending 3-4 hours every free day I have. The progress is absolutely great so far. Every asset, shader, graphic element is entirely made by myself, since I don't wanna have any copyright issues (and also im more fond of having everything as I imagined).

- Heightmap is imported, started texturing and divided into 8x8 tiles (for optimization)
- Parts of the UI are done, portraits are working perfectly
- Controlls are almost entirely done, interaction system implemented
- Day/Night cycle implemented with timer
- Leaf animation and wind shader implemented
- Most graphic shaders are set up with real-time lights
- Started designing the first village of first region (Region Vesna)
- No visual scripting, everything runs by code (which is more faster performance wise)

About the game:

So im probably not the only one missing this genre, and not the only one who was disappointed by MM9 and Legacy.
My game will be gameplay wise will be exactly the same as mm6-8 with minor changes, and new additions. Im inspired by many games such as Oblivion, Skyrim, Diablo, Wizardry 8 etc. I wanna have a good mixture which lays on the original might and magic experience in a modern fashion.
Story is in progress, due to im not a very advanced writer. When time comes, I wanna hire writers to help me out.
My plan is to release the game by chapters which is: 1 chapter 1 region. As the story progresses the player can go to the next area. Obviously after unlocking a new region, the player can go back and forth. So for now, that's what I can share.

Screenshots:

Here are some screenshots

World Map
https://ibb.co/2gt3YKp

Chapter 1 Region (Vesna)
https://ibb.co/z705G2B

First small town in progress (Springhorn)
https://ibb.co/dr38SbZ
https://ibb.co/G0D11Zn
https://ibb.co/c8h3NMm
https://ibb.co/nmb3jCy

Testing custom water shader and trees
https://ibb.co/72xKr4G
https://ibb.co/G97j0Wf

I will post more screenshots from time to time to keep you all updated.
Feel free to ask me anything about the game! :)

Greg
Last edited by Strobe on 16 Mar 2023, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.

Strobe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Tales of Edrenium (Working Title) - A game like M&M series

Unread postby Strobe » 15 Mar 2023, 23:59

Some more screenshots

Day-night cycle + minimap frame, currencies panel (food + gold)

https://ibb.co/tLDv9Jm

https://ibb.co/PDbd3Z4

https://ibb.co/RPVvRZs

https://ibb.co/bL9MwBK

https://ibb.co/vkntLq0

By the way, the party races you can see are:
From left to right:
Vyfre (a dragon like race, but more like a gecko-humanoid)
Eytelira (dryad like race, brown skin colored with golden moss on their body)
Amberwing (a fairy-like race)
Ebin’s Descendants (basically human)

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 16 Mar 2023, 22:47

Very nice! Keep up the good work!
One comment, I think the character images take up too much of the view.

Strobe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Strobe » 16 Mar 2023, 23:25

Kaltenberg wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 22:47 Very nice! Keep up the good work!
One comment, I think the character images take up too much of the view.
Hi Kaltenberg, glad you like it! :D

Thanks for mentioning, meanwhile I changed it during finishing the minimap and world map.
Here are some more screenshots, now with working maps, and changed portait size + interaction.

https://ibb.co/my8THxR

https://ibb.co/ryY0hnH

https://ibb.co/JQKzrs6

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 17 Mar 2023, 23:00

Hello! Sorry to comment. Don't always like it.
- First of all, I'd like to have skills like yours... I'm currently doing 3D modeling, but I don't even come close to skills like prorogramming, 2D arts, etc.. so I'm really jealous! That's why I say, if you don't feel like it, then ignore this!
- So, one of my negative criticisms, when I said that we should make the characters smaller.. i see that it happened, but actually, I thought they WERE WAY too small. They are just as distracting as they are at a larger size, couldn't they all just be packed in the bottom right corner? Or left? Or two on the right, two on the left?
- The surroundings, although beautiful, are a little bit bustling.
- If you announced your game a year ago, what happened before that? (Because "I've started making it around a week ago, spending 3-4 hours every free day I have".)
- My first thought when I look at the pictures is: fuck, when am I going to get to play it, and_ will there be adventures/dungeons/stories worth playing for?
- Which is very, very positive: the map development. The layout, the design, and most of all the place names are so developed, thought out, polished, as if it was either years of planning or a whole team of developers (or both).. Simply brilliant, super and impressive!

Strobe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Strobe » 18 Mar 2023, 01:38

Hey Kaltenberg!
No problem, im open to any suggestions. Obviously since its my game, I can’t see if something is wrong (like the size of portraits). I’ll consider the placement of them that’s for sure.

Not entirely sure what you mean of bustling. Talking of environment, it will be pretty detailed and colorful. As you may noticed, textures are hand-drawn styled, so to say stylistic. It was intentional because I think this kind of game is better this way.

Also not really sure what you are asking. If you mean how is that, that I started this project a year ago, but the development phase is just started. Well, its due to time and skill. I went to a programming course at that time and finished it. I changed my job, and finally got time to get onto developing seriously. I started making prototypes with Unreal Engine 4 that time, but everything went very sloppy and in bad quality. Since i got my new job few months ago, then I decided that its time to try Unity, and here we are.

I can’t promise an actual release date, but i had seen a lot of dead pipelines in modding communities, and im well aware of them. That’s why I make this game by chapters, which means by provinces. The first one will be Vesnan.

My pipeline is very coherent. Im around 60-70% finished with the basic gameplay mechanics. That contains interacting with items (food, gold, chests, levers/buttons) which I finished today. My next task will be inventory system. Anyways I’ll post a brief progress of what is done yet and what’s up to finish.

I predict around a year and a half to get released with chapter 1. Since im working alone, it takes a lot of time. But when chapter 1 is finished, i’ll start a patreon and kickstarter to fund the game and invest money into help me out. 3d modellers, animators and coders, which would speed up the development the most.

One thing I can confidently tell: If you liked Might and Magic 6 gameplay, then you will probably not be disappointed by my game.

Greg

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 18 Mar 2023, 14:58

Strobe wrote: Not entirely sure what you mean of bustling. Talking of environment, it will be pretty detailed and colorful. As you may noticed, textures are hand-drawn styled, so to say stylistic. It was intentional because I think this kind of game is better this way.
Sorry, translation problem, there seems to be no such word in English. :D I prefer to say that it's not detailed enough, or that there's little stimulus (I mean, there's a tree, I move a bit, there's nothing, and the other tree/house is just further away). I was trying to say something like that. Of course I know it's still under development!
Anyway, the hand-drawn style textures look really nice and fit the atmosphere.
Strobe wrote: Also not really sure what you are asking. If you mean how is that, that I started this project a year ago, but the development phase is just started. Well, its due to time and skill. I went to a programming course at that time and finished it. I changed my job, and finally got time to get onto developing seriously. I started making prototypes with Unreal Engine 4 that time, but everything went very sloppy and in bad quality. Since i got my new job few months ago, then I decided that its time to try Unity, and here we are.
Yes, I was thinking something like that, now it makes sense, thanks! :)

In conclusion, it looks very promising!

Strobe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Strobe » 18 Mar 2023, 15:08

Oh I see now! :D

Don’t worry, level design is nowhere near close to what you have seen. Im just testing and optimizing assets. It will be very detailed, because I decided to put every city and settlement into separate scenes, which means that you can enter through gate like in Might and Magic 9, Oblivion etc. That way I can put tons of details, particle effects like birds, falling leaves, butterflies etc.
After I got the gameplay mechanics, which is probably a week or two to finish, then I’ll finish the first town, which you have seen.

Strobe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Strobe » 25 Mar 2023, 01:45

Hey all!

So lot of progress has been made, just wanted to give you some insight to what im working on.

• - 3 days of assets modelling, to finish the level designs of this settlement.

- Whole lot of optimization: Some serious fps problems were occured by shadows, and trees. It was a nightmare to figure out, took some days and testing to finally get it to optimized. Now everything is smooth as hell! :D

- Did some sound effect testings, its getting there, but i'll need to make a more advanced system for it. But overall, i got exactly what I wanted.
    There will be 3 type of gold loots to find: gold coins (1 gold value), gold pile (5 value) and gold bag (20 value). These will all have different sounds on picking up. That's what I was prototyping and it works like a charm. Same for food, apple will have applebite sound, while some vegetables (like you can see on the picture, the mershiper plant) will also give you food value, which you can use for Rest (as in Might and Magic). All the other vegetables will be ingredients for potions.

- Today's work was time-based mechanics: Torchlights will turn on at 18:00 (6 pm), and turn off at 07:00 (7am). This logic will be applied for shop schedules, weather changes and also events (like circus, and druid promotion quest). So, now it got some nice lights during the night. :)

- Also started testing Portrait animations. Random eye movements, attack animation etc. Gonna be interesting to test it.

- Area name indicator. When you enter an area, the name of it will fade in, then after 10 sec it will fade out.
There was a lot more bug fixing, optimizations and etc. But that's boring to mention.
What's not boring is now more interesting things I will start working on from next week.
I'll start implementing npc's, dialogue system, interiors and finishing the rest of player mechanics (spellbook, inventory, spellcasting, attacking).

Until then, here are fresh, new screenshots:

Torchlight mechanics, morning hours
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="7HjWWGK"><a href="/ post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Settlement center, morning hours
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="bo19oaE"><a href="/ post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Plantation, morning hours
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="JDr4HRo"><a href="/ post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Vegetable interaction, morning hours (food item)
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="FbEPqdf"><a href="/ post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Park area, northern part of Springhorn
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="Fpwcd18"><a href="/ post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The Voiceless Horses Inn
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="5UDekum"><a href="/ post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Shed with full of decor items (some may have secret loots)
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="5yYF8y4"><a href="/ post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Food interaction (good old apple)
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="CpcbiLr"><a href="/ post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gold interaction
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="9P8lfy2"><a href="/ post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Woodcutter's shed
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="bnGiIuC"><a href="/ post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Stables
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="jRHcms1"><a href="/ post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Park area with benches and camp
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="40IS5i3"><a href="/ post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

South part of Springhorn
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="LfzpEvx"><a href="/ post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Kory flower interaction (ingredient for lesser health potion)
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="fwRmiRo"><a href="/ post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Park area
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="8XqtwEv"><a href="/ post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Another new plant (will be alchemy ingredient, not food)
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="CKlIeIG"><a href="/ post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Springhorn's well
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="Bi0tuU8"><a href="/ post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Springhorn's well, night scene
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="r3c3um6"><a href="/ post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hope you like it, was working hard to get all these progress. :yes:
See you all at the next progress update!

Greg

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 25 Mar 2023, 07:55

Looks amazing!! :-D I wish I had the motivation and energy like you... Can't wait to play it!

BTW, I know someone else said opposite, but I think character portraits are too spread out. Don't know if in combat it will be easy to glance at one side of screen, and then opposite end many times.
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

Strobe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Strobe » 25 Mar 2023, 09:48

Hey Eksekk! Glad you like it!

Well without motivation, nothing will ever get done.
Yeah, im pretty sure the ui positioning will be updated, just not decided which way. Probably I will put the portraits closer, thanks for the advice!

Return to “Might and Magic”