Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Youjin1985
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 15.02.2022]

Unread postby Youjin1985 » 11 Feb 2023, 11:06

More bugs:
Elderaxe from Vault of Time (mm8 obelisk treasure) cannot be used by minotaurs, while it obviousy should be.
Foulfang from Vault of Time (mm8 obelisk treasure) cannot be used by vampires, while it obviousy should be.

alabastorjones
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby alabastorjones » 11 Feb 2023, 23:37

I just came across this mod and am very interested in trying to play it. My problem is I have been running MM 6-8 on my apple thru GOG and porting kit. Is it possible to run this mod still with that set up? I tried to set it up in a similar manner as my other games but when I go to run the game it tells me to insert disk 2. If anyone knows a good way to play it on an older MacBook I would love insight on how to get it going. Thank You

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 13 Feb 2023, 19:33

Youjin1985 wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 11:06 More bugs:
Elderaxe from Vault of Time (mm8 obelisk treasure) cannot be used by minotaurs, while it obviousy should be.
Foulfang from Vault of Time (mm8 obelisk treasure) cannot be used by vampires, while it obviousy should be.
You are wrong here. Obviously they should be (and are) used by minotaurs (race) and vampires (race or race family).

Youjin1985
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Youjin1985 » 14 Feb 2023, 02:08

cthscr wrote: 13 Feb 2023, 19:33
You are wrong here. Obviously they should be (and are) used by minotaurs (race) and vampires (race or race family).
This is exactly what I am reporting here - I was not able to equip them on any minotaur/vampire.

uranmorte
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby uranmorte » 14 Feb 2023, 07:44

I apologize if there is answer in these 378+ pages. I started party in MM6 continents and almost finished it. Characters levels are 90 average. I teleported to MM8 and switch one charakter for 15 lvl vampire. Is there easy way how to level this character? I tried Armagedon but it looks that low level character get only fraction of xp.

I use "Rewamp Merge Patch" - 2022-08-30 - https://gitlab.com/cthscr/mmmerge/-/wik ... al/Install

Youjin1985
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Youjin1985 » 14 Feb 2023, 09:54

Instruction for people like me who are irritated by 'fixing' wandering NPC professions:
1. Execute dump(vars.NPCFollowers) in console (Ctrl+F1) to get current followers list.
2. Save game in front of any wandering NPC.
3. Take him into party, execute dump(vars.NPCFollowers) again and notice newly accepted NPC id.
4. Load game and execute Game.NPC[id].Profession = 14.
id is from step(3). 14 is Instructor (you can check Data/Tables/NPC Professions.txt for full list)
5. Enjoy unnerfed gameplay.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 14 Feb 2023, 14:21

Youjin1985 wrote: 14 Feb 2023, 02:08
cthscr wrote: 13 Feb 2023, 19:33
This is exactly what I am reporting here - I was not able to equip them on any minotaur/vampire.
But your report isn't valid [for latest pack 2022-08-30] (at least isn't reproducible). "(and are)" means that in clean installation of either Base or Revamp they are able to wear these items (and this was checked). You're unable to use them if you don't have corresponding skills (Axe and Dagger) though. Or under water.
See Scripts/Global/ExtraArtifacts.lua, WearItemConditions[504] / WearItemConditions[508]

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 14 Feb 2023, 19:37

Youjin1985 wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 10:13 Greyface chest overflow fix is broken! No matter which chest I was opening, no items which didn't fit appear second time I open a chest!
Have you tried to add FixChests=1 to mm8.ini? AFAIR it's still disabled by default after installing GrayFace's patch.
'of Power' (+5 level to character) enchant on item does not stack - this is wrong as vanilla behaviour is to stack from different items(MM6/MM7)
AFAIK default MM8 behavior wasn't changed.
Not a bug itself - but wandering NPC not changing professions on reload are inconsistent with vanilla MM6/MM7 behaviour, and this kills speedruns. Is it possible to make it vanilla like?
Speedruns are killed by a lot of other things as well.
In Revamp there will be HirelingsRefillDays and HirelingsRefillOnEveryMapLoad mod settings when I finish current savegame format update (ETA 2023-02-22). I don't think it will go in Base unless Rodril says otherwise.
With locations from all three games, Looyd beacon should either work per continent (I guess that would be easiest to implement) or have 'tabs' for more slots. Or maybe add some location from which GM of water can teleport to any outdoor map.
Guys, you had 1 beacon per party in MM2, 1 beacon per character in WoX and that was fine. Seriously speaking, any attempt of messing with beacons is memory-leak provoking. It is not in my nearest plans.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 15 Feb 2023, 19:06

Hi,

just a quick question:
is it, with the current ui, possible to show the following with a right click on the character portrait (in the landscape mode, not the inventory mode):
the immunities that you got with artifacts/armor/etc? like:
"Immune to paralysis"
"Immune to sleepcondition"
"Half damage from ranged weapons"
etc. (you get the points)

since there is no other way (only to manually check it on the inventory) that could be a great way to optimize your character(s).

best regards
justl
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 19 Feb 2023, 10:03

Is it possible to edit the formula for experience points needed per level? I would like to increase game difficulty by doubling the requirements - i.e. level two needing 2000 experience points instead of 1000 and so on.

As for 'Of Power', I believe it only used to stack in MM6 and not MM7-8. Maybe the reason is that it was not fully implemented in vanilla MM7-8; I don't ever remember seeing this enchantment in the original games other than MM6.

Nirran
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Nirran » 19 Feb 2023, 14:05

Nirran wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 21:05
justl wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 16:36
Nirran wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 01:39

loaded the earliest save i had,the qeust is aquired but after drinkign and returning it still doesnt recognize i drank from the well
did you find the right well?
the right one is in bootleg bay near the southern little town.
else also the healing well inside the firelords dungeon worx.
think so yea,#4 from this page

https://the-spoiler.com/RPG/New.World.C ... m6.html#bb
rodril fixes btw,lots of persoanal edits but none of house scripts have been edited so far

Kinox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kinox » 26 Feb 2023, 06:19

Hey, MMMergefolks;

I have been intrigued by CE (Cheat Engine) for a while, since Jessen shared his CT file very early on 2019 when MMMerge was very fresh. It was in this forum, referencing just in case: https://fearlessrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9058

Then, after some investigation, I was finally able to make an improvement to that original CT file, and now the new version I'm sharing in the link below should allow for editing the same Character features, which that original CT file allowed, except for ALL of the 50 Playable Characters (and not only for the 5 Characters made on Party Creation).

I've made some verifications, and fortunately it seems to be working properly, even though I didn't test it thoroughly.
So, if anyone likes this kind of alternative editing, I'm sharing it on this link:

MMMerge-Edit-All-50-Playable-Characters.CT
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YfS2Wr ... share_link

¡Enjoy!

Damocles
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Damocles » 02 Mar 2023, 05:58

Y'all are amazing, I was so happy to randomly come across this. I've been playing after installing it with these instructions:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://gitlab.com/cthscr/mmmerge/-/wik ... al/Install

"Install the GOG english version (*) of Might and Magic VIII. Do NOT install GrayFace's patch (**).
Copy GOG version files outside of "Program Files"
Set mm8.exe and mm8setup.exe files compatibility to Windows XP SP2 or Windows XP SP3, otherwise you might end with software rendering / "There aren't any D3D devices to init" error. Setting (or leaving) compatibility to Windows 95 (like GOG does) will cause lags with pathfinder module.
Copy Merge pack files into MM8 folder, replacing existing.
If pack was marked as nomedia, copy Merge media files into MM8 folder, replacing existing.
If Merge patch was issued for a pack, copy Merge patch files into MM8 folder, replacing existing.
Choose one of the branches (do NOT mix them!):
Remove Scripts folder first to avoid rogue lua files problem.
If you want original mod behavior, use branch rodril-fixes
If you want most actively developed code, use Revamp (branch master).
If you want Community features, use branch comm (not updated; requires old pack 2022-02-15)
Copy chosen branch files into MM8 folder, replacing existing."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I set to Windows XP SP3 and used the Community features branch.
(I also used the Refilled Mod and Monstrosity Compatible with the Merge Mod)

Everything seems great so far, started in MM6 with a party from all three and love it! This has been so fun. (Do the devs who do these have anythinkg like a patreon or some kind of financial support network? There are even some indie Steam Devs, one fellow in particular who's work I love - Winged Pixel - who's amazing and I'm eagerly awaiting the release of his next work, Heroes of a Broken Land 2!! - who should have something like that but don't take it when offered, maybe Steam laws or regulations? Totally getting off topic, but it would be cool if this existed for people who do these labors of love for so many of us; anyone who knows please direct me, I'd appreciate it.).

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me correct something I've just run across, I am saddened to realize I must have done something incorrect because the entire color scheme for the world and characters of Jadame in MM8 is distorted; purples, reddish haze, characters/enemies partially invisible. Ahhh, sad, but MM6 and MM7 worlds, characters, and enemies, etc., all work fine. At least I can play those two fully through, which is amazing. I'd love to play through them all here, but whatever I did is unplayable. Does anyone know what I screwed up and what to do about it? I'm not a programmer or savvy, I'm a physician recruiter and classics and philosophy major; I can contemplate the problem and discuss Plato's allegory of The Cave while weeping with Kierkegaard about not being able to play the entire merge mod, but my my computer skills are rudimentary. But I learn and will look anything up, I'd overall truly be very grateful for any assistance if anyone had any thoughts or similar experiences or just knew what I did wrong.

Either way, thanks for everything here, already found a lot of great answers and help in lots of things. Much appreciated.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 04 Mar 2023, 17:39

hi,

i think i ran into somekind of bug:

i finished a runthrough of mm6, and startet off at emerald island (came with ship from steadwick, got there via town portal @ high magical spot at new sorpigal/mm6).

since i knew the deal where the contestants items are, i started of collecting them before i even entered the contest at lord markhams hut.

now i am stuck with an empty crate (nw part of the isle, where the dragon flies are), with no seashell in sight.

if someone could provide me with insight if thats a gamebreaker or simply bad luck.

thx
justl

edit: i know there is a npc in the northeast corner of the island selling seashells, but i always found it in the above mentioned crates too.
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

Jezebeth Noir
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jezebeth Noir » 10 Mar 2023, 14:29

Hello guys. I have not looked here for a long time, but I see that the latest updates are still dated from the beginning of last year. Is it because there haven't been any updates since then, or did you lose access to the first post and the actual links got lost somewhere among the 378 pages of the thread? If so, please share these links.

upd I see a link to Latest Fixes for Base Merge, should I just install them over the version from the first page? Are there any problems with localization? Is Merge Revamp latest version still not compatible with localizations?

upd2 It seems that Latest Fixes for Base Merge break some of the character portraits from the seventh part. Everything is fine without this patch.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 10 Mar 2023, 20:38

justl wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 17:39 i finished a runthrough of mm6, and startet off at emerald island (came with ship from steadwick, got there via town portal @ high magical spot at new sorpigal/mm6).

since i knew the deal where the contestants items are, i started of collecting them before i even entered the contest at lord markhams hut.

now i am stuck with an empty crate (nw part of the isle, where the dragon flies are), with no seashell in sight.

if someone could provide me with insight if thats a gamebreaker or simply bad luck.
Despite what DaveHer said, I was able to get it from the chest. It's in chest with Id=2, chest with Id=5 isn't accessible.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 10 Mar 2023, 20:50

Jezebeth Noir wrote: 10 Mar 2023, 14:29 Hello guys. I have not looked here for a long time, but I see that the latest updates are still dated from the beginning of last year. Is it because there haven't been any updates since then, or did you lose access to the first post and the actual links got lost somewhere among the 378 pages of the thread? If so, please share these links.

upd I see a link to Latest Fixes for Base Merge, should I just install them over the version from the first page? Are there any problems with localization? Is Merge Revamp latest version still not compatible with localizations?

upd2 It seems that Latest Fixes for Base Merge break some of the character portraits from the seventh part. Everything is fine without this patch.
Fixes are against 2022-08-30 pack. And all of the fixes from there were included in pack. No newer fixes were added yet. No problem with portraits is known to me.
Localizations aren't compatible with Revamp. And probably wouldn't for quite a time - Revamp has additional resources that localizations will try to overwrite and dismiss. Notable exception is Russian localization for Revamp, though It'll be broken as well soon (well, I hope soon).

Jezebeth Noir
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jezebeth Noir » 11 Mar 2023, 05:47

cthscr wrote: 10 Mar 2023, 20:50 Fixes are against 2022-08-30 pack. And all of the fixes from there were included in pack. No newer fixes were added yet. No problem with portraits is known to me.
Where can I download 2022-08-30 pack? On the first page only 15.02.2022.

Maslyonok
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Maslyonok » 11 Mar 2023, 08:16

cthscr wrote: 10 Mar 2023, 20:50 Localizations aren't compatible with Revamp. And probably wouldn't for quite a time - Revamp has additional resources that localizations will try to overwrite and dismiss. Notable exception is Russian localization for Revamp, though It'll be broken as well soon (well, I hope soon).
Haha, thanks... But would be there a list of changes so I'll be able to adjust localization according to them?

Jezebeth Noir
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jezebeth Noir » 11 Mar 2023, 19:23

Do I understand correctly that in the Revamp version, a necromancer, if he is not initially undead, cannot become a lich?

Problem with portraits:
ImageImage Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Do not look at localization, problems appear in the English version too, before installing localization. At the same time, with the rest of the portraits from the seventh part everything is fine.

Return to “Might and Magic”