Might and Magic IX(9) remake

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
AtlasPoseidon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Might and Magic IX(9) remake

Unread postby AtlasPoseidon » 26 Jan 2023, 02:36

I'm trying to remake Might & Magic IX (9) Writ of Fate. I loved this game as a kid, I grew up on my mom's lap while we played the game together. I've always loved the game even though it wasn't perfect and it wasn't even finished. The game is very buggy and half of it doesn't work, it even needs a fan made patch to work. I still grew up with this game and loved every bit of it. I want to remake the game fully finished with more things to do, better graphics, and an actual good ending. I want to add features from previous games, and I want to try and make it fully open world. I also want to make it multiplayer and possibly multiplatform. I want to add a lot without taking away the base game and charm that it has already. But I do want to make every NPC and house useful, half of them in the game are just filler. I will be using the Unreal Engine to remake the game, and I will be making all new fully 3D HD models with better textures and a lot more polygons. I've already gotten some input from Tim Lang (major developer of the original game) and Bones (major Telp patch developer for the original game). I'm wanting any ideas and feedback for recreating. I was thinking of a gofundme type thing so I can get the right computer set up but I'm not sure. I want to make it popular and actually part of the storyline of Might and Magic, and it's actually made well. If anybody could help me that's be great.

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Re: Might and Magic IX(9) remake

Unread postby Tomsod » 26 Jan 2023, 16:14

Sorry for bursting your bubble, but you won't be able to remake MM9 from scratch alone. An entire team of paid professionals had worked on the original, and they arguably failed! If you really want to better the game, use existing assets as much as possible -- basically make a mod that fills all those empty areas, adds new quests, monsters if you can, whatever you feel is lacking. There's a thread discussing modding possibilities for the MM9 engine, but to date nobody actually modded it (that I'm aware of), largely because nobody cares enough. If you do, you could be the first! But for heaven's sake, don't discard the already working bits like the engine and 3D models -- yes, they could be better, but you'll lose steam before you're 25% done, if only because remaking other's work is more boring than adding your own ideas. And above all, abandon any hopes to add multiplayer -- MM is fundamentally not designed for that, it's just not possible without throwing 80% of game mechanics out of the window.

AtlasPoseidon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic IX(9) remake

Unread postby AtlasPoseidon » 26 Jan 2023, 18:42

Tomsod wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 16:14 Sorry for bursting your bubble, but you won't be able to remake MM9 from scratch alone. An entire team of paid professionals had worked on the original, and they arguably failed! If you really want to better the game, use existing assets as much as possible -- basically make a mod that fills all those empty areas, adds new quests, monsters if you can, whatever you feel is lacking. There's a thread discussing modding possibilities for the MM9 engine, but to date nobody actually modded it (that I'm aware of), largely because nobody cares enough. If you do, you could be the first! But for heaven's sake, don't discard the already working bits like the engine and 3D models -- yes, they could be better, but you'll lose steam before you're 25% done, if only because remaking other's work is more boring than adding your own ideas. And above all, abandon any hopes to add multiplayer -- MM is fundamentally not designed for that, it's just not possible without throwing 80% of game mechanics out of the window.
That's alright how you feel about it and your personal opinion. But to be honest I LOVE Might&Magic IX(9) I will be remaking it, with or without support. I have the logo tattooed on my forearm and I'm going to get it finished with color later. I will be working with all of the ideas I've got to progress the game into modern quality and be capable of multiplayer, but still have single player option. I do have ideas with the mechanic issue you mentioned and I believe I can work around it and not only have the real-time gameplay but also still have the turn based option. I think I can figure things out, it'll just take awhile. If anyone else has ideas please let me know. Thanks.

Return to “Might and Magic”