Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
justl
Demon
Demon

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 15.02.2022]

Unread postby justl » 25 Dec 2022, 10:45

hi,

found some things worth mentioning:

Sometimes when a dialog happens inside a house (teacher, or anyone else) and you click through the topics way to fast, the game is gonna hardcrash to desktop.

The armsmaster expert (the gong guy), master/gm (winston squire) are all located in free haven (mm6) - so far so good, but they dont show on the townmap as teachers.
According to DaveHer it has to something with the scripts of the original merge - to be specific, extra ones that were not done when the merge was made.

justl
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

Nirran
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Nirran » 28 Dec 2022, 23:29

heya

In merge is this website of skill upgrades still valid for mm6?also is it also valid for nicoli quest?>

https://the-spoiler.com/RPG/New.World.C ... 1/mm6.html

edit : or does a merge walkthrough exist?

Kliff
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kliff » 29 Dec 2022, 09:16

For those curious about getting World of Enroth to work on the Steam Deck, I have a basic set of instructions to get it installed and working (with KB&M) on Desktop mode.

s ever, the best way to start with playing World of Enroth is to start from a legit copy of Might and Magic 8. As of this writing it's available on GoG.com as a digital purchase, and is exactly where you need to start in order to follow these instructions.

You'll need the Heroic Games Launcher in order to easily install 8 on your Steam Deck. It should be easy to find in the Discover center with a simple search. Log into your GoG.com account in Heroic to gain access to your library of games there.

From there, go to Wine Manager in Heroic, and look for Wine-GE-Proton7-28, and choose to download it. If the lists aren't populated, you may have to Refresh and wait.

Then, install Might and Magic 8, making sure to use Wine-GE-Proton7-28 as your Wine version. You may still have to swap back and forth in the installed game's settings to get it to "stick" and work. Do NOT attempt to open Might and Magic 8 yet - it's not wholly guaranteed to work at this point.

Instead, now you begin the install process for World of Enroth. The install method and most relevant links you'll want are located here. Follow these instructions precisely, remembering to extract or copy to the directory M&M8 is installed to - in my default it's Home/Games/Heroic/Might and Magic 8.

Finally, make sure to copy over this DLL in order to make sure Turn-Based mode works.

With that, remember to load M&M8 through Heroic, and it'll work perfectly with keyboard and mouse. There will be extra steps to take in order to play in Game Mode with the Deck's controller itself, but these instructions are the basics to get it to work in Desktop mode.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 29 Dec 2022, 09:55

Nirran wrote: 28 Dec 2022, 23:29 heya

In merge is this website of skill upgrades still valid for mm6? also is it also valid for nicoli quest?>

https://the-spoiler.com/RPG/New.World.C ... 1/mm6.html

edit : or does a merge walkthrough exist?
most skill upgrades are still the same, although the master teachers now also teach grandmaster.
diplomacy disappeared - alchemy took its place at the respective teacher.
you can learn armsmaster in free haven (expert/master/gm)
you can learn id monster in mm6, but not advance it there, need to be in mm7 to do that
nicolai is still the same.

no there aint a "complete" walkthrough - you can basically use every single walkthrough for mm6, mm7, mm8 - addition is the verdant quest intermingling the 3 continents.
time-/clockwise the mm6 walkthrough cant be streamlined anymore, cause training times now takes the standards from mm7/8

there is also a mod from daveher (look here https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/17435 ) - with a new grafics and some new sidequests - all basing on rodrils mod here
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 29 Dec 2022, 10:24

Hi,

another thing, thats imho not fixed still, is the cauldron thing with the intelligence-increase in mm6 at agars laboratory (and if it is, i have read over it on the pages, my bad - please correct me)
since you cant switch positions of the characters in the mm8 engine, somehow only the current last party member gets the int-bonus.
so you have the 5th char take it, release him from the party, let the 4th member have it, release ... till you are down to the first character.

if there is a console command to switch them positions, plz tell (i will note in my secret-compendium for future use, atm i am in the doing of making it merge-compatible)

justl

quick edit: when you release the 5th character and you try do to do it with the 4th, somehow now the first character gets the bonus, so 2,3,4 will never get it

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 29 Dec 2022, 13:05

justl wrote: 29 Dec 2022, 10:24 Hi,

another thing, thats imho not fixed still, is the cauldron thing with the intelligence-increase in mm6 at agars laboratory (and if it is, i have read over it on the pages, my bad - please correct me)
since you cant switch positions of the characters in the mm8 engine, somehow only the current last party member gets the int-bonus.
so you have the 5th char take it, release him from the party, let the 4th member have it, release ... till you are down to the first character.

if there is a console command to switch them positions, plz tell (i will note in my secret-compendium for future use, atm i am in the doing of making it merge-compatible)

justl

quick edit: when you release the 5th character and you try do to do it with the 4th, somehow now the first character gets the bonus, so 2,3,4 will never get it
You're using outdated pack.
https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/ ... 60#p387635
[*] Fixed Player(4) [fifth party member] used instead of Current Player in MM6 and MM7 events
You can use following [at your own risk, potentially bug-inducing] to swap party members slots:

Code: Select all

Party.PlayersIndexes[3], Party.PlayersIndexes[4] = Party.PlayersIndexes[4], Party.PlayersIndexes[3]

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 29 Dec 2022, 14:55

Today, I encountered the problem that non-combat NPCs failed to cast skills again and found some ways can resolve it,information as below:
I hired a non-combat NPC, master healer and want to use his skill, when choosing "Heal Party", a message show "Complete", but it did not work. When clicking again, it's said "Sorry,come backup another day". It seems that this problem is related to the fourth parameter of the function "CastSpellDirect", I tested many times and found that any of the following methods can solve this problem:
1. Modify the 385 line of "Scripts\Global\NPCFollowersSkills.lua"
CastSpellDirect(88,10,10)
To:
CastSpellDirect(88,10,10,10,49,1)
Among them, the fourth parameter 0 - 10 can succeed, but some value will make the team member's Increase in age except value is 10.

2. Modify the 625 lines of "Scripts\Structs\After\HardcodedTopicFunctions.lua"
mem.u2[0x51d822] = Caster or 49 -- Caster - rosterId
To:
mem.u2[0x51d822] = Caster or 10 -- Caster - rosterId

Maybe other non-combat NPC skills cast failures can also resolved by this way,for your reference. I don't know whether it will bring other risks. If it does, please tell me, thank you very much.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 29 Dec 2022, 18:14

toadking wrote: 22 Dec 2022, 04:06 I have been meet 2 cases, maybe 1 is a bug, detail as below:
1. When failed to cast "Reanimate" on a dead teammate,an error will be received:

...iles\MMMerge\Scripts\General\ZombiePlayers.lua:342: array index (750) out of bounds [0, 749]
2. The attack frequency of magic wand is very high , like a 0-btu bow. eg, The magic wand for 40 times in one's hand will be used up in a few seconds.
1. [Out-of-range] "Club" is not accessible via Game.GlobalTxt anymore. Fix includes change in T.lod/Global.TXT, ZombiePlayers.lua and asmpatch at 0x42C0C8 (Renaimate proc). Commit c013de21.
2. I've broken recovery values of scroll-like casted spells. Should be fixed by commit 282a67c1.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 29 Dec 2022, 19:27

toadking wrote: 29 Dec 2022, 14:55 Today, I encountered the problem that non-combat NPCs failed to cast skills again and found some ways can resolve it,information as below:
I hired a non-combat NPC, master healer and want to use his skill, when choosing "Heal Party", a message show "Complete", but it did not work. When clicking again, it's said "Sorry,come backup another day". It seems that this problem is related to the fourth parameter of the function "CastSpellDirect",
No, it doesn't. This sounds more like "quasi-click" that happens sometimes when MouseLook mode is enabled and active. (Most often it happens when Town Portal is casted in Enroth, so I have a behavior of pressing CapsLock before casting such a spell. Haven't seen it on Linux yet btw.)
I tested many times and found that any of the following methods can solve this problem:
1. Modify the 385 line of "Scripts\Global\NPCFollowersSkills.lua"
CastSpellDirect(88,10,10)
To:
CastSpellDirect(88,10,10,10,49,1)
Among them, the fourth parameter 0 - 10 can succeed, but some value will make the team member's Increase in age except value is 10.

2. Modify the 625 lines of "Scripts\Structs\After\HardcodedTopicFunctions.lua"
mem.u2[0x51d822] = Caster or 49 -- Caster - rosterId
To:
mem.u2[0x51d822] = Caster or 10 -- Caster - rosterId

Maybe other non-combat NPC skills cast failures can also resolved by this way,for your reference. I don't know whether it will bring other risks. If it does, please tell me, thank you very much.
You just tell spell to be casted (by using a spell scroll) by Party.PlayersArray[10] (Maylander) instead of Party.PlayersArray[49]. So it just redirects the problem to another roster character. Sooner or later result will be the same. And yes, some of the roster characters are in party.
Third parameter shouldn't be bigger than 4 - it's skill mastery. Usually mm8.exe treats numbers bigger than 4 as 0 in spell casting (that's true for vanilla MM8 and Base Merge; in Revamp it will be treated as 4). Or as minimal possible (so Water Walk will use values for Expert).
Now the main problem is aging. Proper fix for this would be to patch Power Cure code to check for flag 0x8000 like it was done for Fly and Water Walk (so they don't drain spells if this flag was set at cast).
Sixth parameter should be at least 0x20 (spell casted by event/environment, no sp cost, no recovery) instead of 1 (spell casted by using scroll, no sp cost). With previously mentioned patch it should be 0x8020.
And to my mind under most circumstances you should avoid patching HardcodedTopicFunctions.lua. Unless you delve into disassembled code of mm8.exe.

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 30 Dec 2022, 05:22

cthscr wrote: 29 Dec 2022, 19:27 ...
You just tell spell to be casted (by using a spell scroll) by Party.PlayersArray[10] (Maylander) instead of Party.PlayersArray[49]. So it just redirects the problem to another roster character. Sooner or later result will be the same. And yes, some of the roster characters are in party.
Third parameter shouldn't be bigger than 4 - it's skill mastery. Usually mm8.exe treats numbers bigger than 4 as 0 in spell casting (that's true for vanilla MM8 and Base Merge; in Revamp it will be treated as 4). Or as minimal possible (so Water Walk will use values for Expert).
Now the main problem is aging. Proper fix for this would be to patch Power Cure code to check for flag 0x8000 like it was done for Fly and Water Walk (so they don't drain spells if this flag was set at cast).
Sixth parameter should be at least 0x20 (spell casted by event/environment, no sp cost, no recovery) instead of 1 (spell casted by using scroll, no sp cost). With previously mentioned patch it should be 0x8020.
And to my mind under most circumstances you should avoid patching HardcodedTopicFunctions.lua. Unless you delve into disassembled code of mm8.exe.
Thank you very much, I also learned a lot from your words. The problem I encountered occurred in the old operation mode(mouselook=0 in mm8.ini). It was normal to hire master healer at the beginning, the issue occurred after a period of use, meanwhile executing "CastSpellDirect (88,10,10)" on the console also fails when it occurs. Some other non combat NPCs have the same situation, works normally at the beginning and fails after a period of use.
I just found another function CastSpellScroll in this file "HardcodedTopicFunctions.lua" and CastSpellScroll (88) works normally when issue occures, can this statement CastSpellScroll (88) replace CastSpellDirect (88, 10, 10) ?
Thanks again for your patient explanation.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 30 Dec 2022, 08:46

hi,
i am wondering, if anyone ever noticed the behaviour of the percival-bow when shooting flying creatures:

the explosive damages still occurs, but the grafics is like "hitting the monster and then sending a fireball to the ground" (sorry, dont know how to describe it better).

is this something fixable, or is it unchangeable game mechanics?

another thing i noticed:

in vanilla mm6, the sea snake/monster/terror (to be found at eel infested waters and hermit island) would move around freely in the water - since the early versions of the merge (and still up to august version) they arent moving any way

justl

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 01 Jan 2023, 17:29

Pain Reflection could be added as character-scope indeed. But not instead of Protection from Magic which can't be turned into character-scope easily (GM Protection from Magic was often named one of the most important spells for party). I'd say there could be other party-scope potions, can't see anything that bad in it.
Well, I think it's important from a suspension of disbelief perspective. Before we started inventing new potions, every potion only ever affected the drinker. It really makes sense from both in-universe and out-of-universe perspectives. You drink the potion - you get the effect. I think it's kinda weird that a potion can affect not only the drinker, but his friends also. My idea of making Protection from Magic a potion effect went kinda "past the radar", since no one caught the problem with it affecting the entire party and there being no option to restrict it only to the drinker. That's why I'd definitely be happier if we swapped the same recipe's effect to Pain Reflection, which can indeed affect a single character at Expert level. But I suppose that would require some extra code tweaks, because potions usually provide GM level buffs?

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 01 Jan 2023, 20:18

toadking wrote: 30 Dec 2022, 05:22
cthscr wrote: 29 Dec 2022, 19:27 ...
Thank you very much, I also learned a lot from your words. The problem I encountered occurred in the old operation mode(mouselook=0 in mm8.ini). It was normal to hire master healer at the beginning, the issue occurred after a period of use, meanwhile executing "CastSpellDirect (88,10,10)" on the console also fails when it occurs. Some other non combat NPCs have the same situation, works normally at the beginning and fails after a period of use.
I just found another function CastSpellScroll in this file "HardcodedTopicFunctions.lua" and CastSpellScroll (88) works normally when issue occures, can this statement CastSpellScroll (88) replace CastSpellDirect (88, 10, 10) ?
Thanks again for your patient explanation.
CastSpellScroll() will do the same thing with currently selected party member - check his age after casting.
Other casting NPC will use the same player during the same session, so casting will fail for them as well after the age of that player surpass, I don't remember exactly, 150 years?
Proper patch for Divine Intervention (I didn't mean Power Cure earlier-):

--- a/Scripts/General/SpellsExtra.lua
+++ b/Scripts/General/SpellsExtra.lua
@@ -3685,6 +3685,10 @@ local function SetSpellsExtraHooks()
        @end:
        ]])
        new_code = asmpatch(0x42BDFC, [[
+       test byte ptr [ebx + 0x9], 0x80
+       jz @std
+       xor eax, eax
+       @std:
        nop
        nop
        nop
@@ -3700,8 +3704,8 @@ local function SetSpellsExtraHooks()
        mov ecx, dword ptr [ebp - 0x1C]
        cmp byte ptr [ecx + 0x1D24], al
        ]], 0x42BE0D - 0x42BDFC)
-       hook(new_code or 0x42BDFC, player_spell_var2)
-       hook((new_code or 0x42BDFC) + 0xA, player_spell_var1)
+       hook((new_code or 0x42BDFC) + 0x8, player_spell_var2)
+       hook((new_code or 0x42BDFC) + 0x12, player_spell_var1)
        nop(0x42BE16, 2)
        asmpatch(0x42BEB2, [[
        add esi, dword ptr [ebp - 0x4]
After that one can use CastFollowersSpell(88, 10, 4) - spell will be cast by currently selected party member (as environment-casted) without affecting his age (but still affecting amount of Divine Interventions casted by that player - not sure if writing additional patch will worth it).
Pushed as commit 1a957b1.

Nirran
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Nirran » 02 Jan 2023, 02:04

In mm6 portion of the mmm,do you hafta have a sorc in party to do the wizard (edit:promotion) quest?cause i did the quest and even tried evt.set qbits and cannot complete
Last edited by Nirran on 07 Jan 2023, 01:19, edited 2 times in total.

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 02 Jan 2023, 08:47

cthscr wrote: 01 Jan 2023, 20:18 ...
After that one can use CastFollowersSpell(88, 10, 4) - spell will be cast by currently selected party member (as environment-casted) without affecting his age (but still affecting amount of Divine Interventions casted by that player - not sure if writing additional patch will worth it).
Pushed as commit 1a957b1.
Yes, the problem with healer master is not only failed after a period of use, but also the problem of aging. Is there a risk in your solution that if the current party member was cursed, which will lead to a chance of casting failure? If its not, aging would be solved. My way maybe a little simple: Use a roster(eg, roster[40]) who will not be hired as the caster, record his Age, and then cast "Divine Intervention". After casting, change its age back to the value before casting, statement would be:

Local VAGE
VAGE = roster[40].age
CastSpellDirect(88,10,10,40,49,1)
roster[40].age = VAGE

In this way, the caster doesn't worry about being cursed lead to fail and the program modification is minima, Maybe my idea is a little naive. :D

powermmms
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby powermmms » 04 Jan 2023, 01:51

Hi.
Is there any open source project?
Recently, I'm playing this game with modifying lua script.
Now I'm alone, but if there are many people, it will be more fun, I think.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 05 Jan 2023, 17:27

justl wrote: 30 Dec 2022, 08:46 i am wondering, if anyone ever noticed the behaviour of the percival-bow when shooting flying creatures:

the explosive damages still occurs, but the grafics is like "hitting the monster and then sending a fireball to the ground" (sorry, dont know how to describe it better).

is this something fixable, or is it unchangeable game mechanics?
Two ways: a) use CastSpellTowardsMonster() function from Revamp; b) use Revamp mechanics of spcbonus (Bonus2) check.
In Revamp latter is used for Percival.
in vanilla mm6, the sea snake/monster/terror (to be found at eel infested waters and hermit island) would move around freely in the water - since the early versions of the merge (and still up to august version) they arent moving any way
They have "Stand" movement in Monsters.txt. In MM6 they had "Free" and probably should have it in Merge as well.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 05 Jan 2023, 18:15

hi,

some other, maybe stupid question:
in mm7 when you play the light side, you cant enter the vampire crypt in erathia cause its part of the dark way.
is there a console command, which would let my party enter the dungeon on the light path?

has anyone ever made a vori mod? if so, would it be possible to incorporate it in the merge? (only curious)

thx in advance
justl

Nirran
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Nirran » 07 Jan 2023, 01:20

Nirran wrote: 02 Jan 2023, 02:04 In mm6 portion of the mmm,do you hafta have a sorc in party to do the wizard (edit:promotion) quest?cause i did the quest and even tried evt.set qbits and cannot complete
is this a bug?or do i have to have a sorc in party?

edit : or how can i trouble shoot thsi myself?what script has the 'house' quest giver code in it?(edit : the promotion to wizard quest code specificaly)

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 08 Jan 2023, 21:40

Nirran wrote: 07 Jan 2023, 01:20
Nirran wrote: 02 Jan 2023, 02:04 In mm6 portion of the mmm,do you hafta have a sorc in party to do the wizard (edit:promotion) quest?cause i did the quest and even tried evt.set qbits and cannot complete
is this a bug?or do i have to have a sorc in party?

edit : or how can i trouble shoot thsi myself?what script has the 'house' quest giver code in it?(edit : the promotion to wizard quest code specificaly)
in mm6 you can do every promotion quest availiable, but only chars with the class fitting get the reward of a class-levelup
all of the party gets xp and maybe <classname honorable>, etc. (dont know for certain)

Return to “Might and Magic”